BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
anchuldigs
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:17 pm

BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby anchuldigs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:45 pm

I have been accepted to BU, Fordham, and GW. I definitely want to work in NYC but wouldn't mind moving to Boston or Washington for law school.

Which school would give me the best prospects of a biglaw job (corporate law - none of that international stuff) in NYC?

Which would give me the best prospects of transferring to a better school (NYU or Columbia) after 1L or 2L?

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Go w/ Fordham.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Fordham for NYC. It's not even a question.

anchuldigs
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby anchuldigs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Do I have a shot at transferrring to NYU after 1L if I do extremely well in 1L, or should I forget about it?

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 pm

anchuldigs wrote:I have been accepted to BU, Fordham, and GW. I definitely want to work in NYC but wouldn't mind moving to Boston or Washington for law school.

Which school would give me the best prospects of a biglaw job (corporate law - none of that international stuff) in NYC?

Which would give me the best prospects of transferring to a better school (NYU or Columbia) after 1L or 2L?


Fordham.

/thread

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

anchuldigs wrote:Do I have a shot at transferrring to NYU after 1L if I do extremely well in 1L, or should I forget about it?

You'll probably need top 5-10% to have a shot, so you shouldn't forget about it, but don't count it on either.
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

anchuldigs wrote:Do I have a shot at transferrring to NYU after 1L if I do extremely well in 1L, or should I forget about it?



Yes. Absolutely. But this, of course, is not something you (or anyone else for that matter) can count on. That's why the best advice is always to go to a school at which you can see yourself for three years.

anchuldigs
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby anchuldigs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Say I went to BU or GW anyway, would I have a chance at transferring to Fordham after a year?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:58 pm

anchuldigs wrote:Say I went to BU or GW anyway, would I have a chance at transferring to Fordham after a year?

This doesn't really make much sense. There are downsides to transferring (application process, possibly losing OCI privileges, harder to do law review), so you shouldn't do it unless there's a significant rankings jump.

anchuldigs
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby anchuldigs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:10 pm

So the consensus is that I should go to Fordham, eh?
Is everyone 100% sure?
After all BU is 22 in the rankings and GW is expected to rise to the low twenties as well. Fordham is still about 28. Isn't that a significant difference?
Last edited by anchuldigs on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:13 pm

anchuldigs wrote:So the consensus is that I should go to Fordham, eh?
Is everyone 100% sure?


IF those are your best offers and IF you are not being offered a significant amount of money at GW/BU or that doesn't matter to you and IF you want to work in New York, you really really should go to Fordham. Just FYI, there would be no perceptible difference re: transferring from FU vs. BU vs. GW - you would need to do extremely well as a 1L regardless of the institution (that's less true for higher ranked schools of course)

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: BU vs. Fordham vs. GW

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:16 pm

OneKnight wrote:
anchuldigs wrote:So the consensus is that I should go to Fordham, eh?
Is everyone 100% sure?


IF those are your best offers and IF you are not being offered a significant amount of money at GW/BU or that doesn't matter to you and IF you want to work in New York, you really really should go to Fordham. Just FYI, there would be no perceptible difference re: transferring from FU vs. BU vs. GW - you would need to do extremely well as a 1L regardless of the institution (that's less true for higher ranked schools of course)

+1. This isn't even a question for NYC. The small rankings difference is irrelevant outside the T14.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: packerboy31489 and 6 guests