3 School Poll, help a brother out Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

U of Houston, U of Miami, or Wake Forest

U of Houston
40%
U of Miami
13%
Wake Forest
47%

Total votes: 70

madmartigan

Bronze

3 School Poll, help a brother out

Post by madmartigan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 pm

I have various scholly's so the cost is practically the same. *But for Miami the $ is contingent on being in top1/3. The other schools are reliable $.

Added context:
I want to live in a big city after law school and during if possible (but after is more important). Miami sounds like an awesome place to live. And Houston is good but less desirable than Miami (I think). If I go Wake, I would have to finish at the top and hope for Boston/NYC/DC.

I'm from TX. Most important is being able to get a good job (hopefully making close to 6 figures) & living in a big city.

Thanks a ton for any perspective.
Last edited by madmartigan on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kommatas

New

Re: 3 School Poll, help a brother out

Post by kommatas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Well the educational value and job prospects from these schools are probably about the same. However, I am from South Florida and am very familiar with Miami. I am not against city living, but Miami is not the place for it. Its not really like the other large cities, like New York, Chicago, or even Seattle. If you want more info. pm me and I will answer any questions you have. Also, I know a lot of large firms in Miami, and South Florida do a lot of work with South Americans, so be ready to learn Spanish, if you don't already speak it.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Pick a part of the country you want to practice in. Because that's where you'll be settling.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:42 pm

tallboone wrote:Pick a part of the country you want to practice in. Because that's where you'll be settling.
yeah, that's basically what I did to narrow it down to these 3. I imagine I could be happy in Houston, Miami, or Boston/NYC/DC. But I don't have much preference between those cities (a big city is all I need), and if one school has better job potential (or better COL, etc.) then that might tip the scale.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:45 pm

madmartigan wrote:
tallboone wrote:Pick a part of the country you want to practice in. Because that's where you'll be settling.
yeah, that's basically what I did to narrow it down to these 3. I imagine I could be happy in Houston, Miami, or Boston/NYC/DC. But I don't have much preference between those cities (a big city is all I need), and if one school has better job potential (or better COL, etc.) then that might tip the scale.
Then Wake should definitely be out. If I were you, I would go to Houston over Miami since you are in-state and it's cheap. Plus if you look at various graphs it also seems to be the most reliable in terms of employment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:23 pm

I would go with Miami if was you. It will be the funniest city but Houston is nice too. Wake is obviously the best school but Winston Salem sucks bad. I got a good buddy who went there.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Employment prospects coming out of Miami suck hard, and Wake has to compete with Duke, UNC, UVA, Wm and Mary, and a bunch of other strong regional schools. Houston's the way to go.

women'ssoccer

New

Post by women'ssoccer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:24 pm

FWIW, all state what is painfully clear: WFU is the best school...going away.

also, the above post is silly; WFU is much better suited to handle its competition than UofH/UM (see: njl250 stats, other stats, etc.)

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 pm

i'm convinced that Miami is really a front for drug operations. texas' economy has for many years now been more resilient than that of north carolina's (and the surrounding region), so i'd say go to houston. relatively strong economy + cheap in-state tuition = go to houston. don't let wake's higher ranking dupe you. also i realize you said you would hope for a job in the northeast, but if getting a high paying job (at least relative to cost of living) is your priority, staying in texas would give you the best prospects of the choices you have in front of you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Absolutely do not go to Miami. Employment from there is bad bad bad, plus being in top 1/3 to keep your scholarship is not a good idea.

madmartigan

Bronze

Post by madmartigan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:12 pm

So I've got sound advice for going to Houston and staying away from Miami.

But little commentary on the pull for Wake? Is it mostly due to rankings?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:54 pm

madmartigan wrote:So I've got sound advice for going to Houston and staying away from Miami.

But little commentary on the pull for Wake? Is it mostly due to rankings?
of course people are just saying wake b/c of the rankings. rankings don't perfectly correlate to job prospects though...
....if you were really interested in having the best chances at a federal clerkship i would say take wake, but you just want the best chances of getting valuable legal employment, houston's where you should go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”