Is the quality of education at T-14 schools really better.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Is the quality of education at T-14 schools really better.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:As far as i am concerned all the schools ranked 1-10 in USNEWS should really all be ranked the same..and 10-20..being the same...and so on....they shd not be ranked from 1 to whatever..Put them in categories with all
schools in a certain category ranked equal...

Category1 - Harvard, NYU, Chicago, Boalt, Yale.........etc.........No numbers associated with them
Category2 -WUSTL, Vandy, Cornell, etc
Cat 3---UIUC, Minnesota, Emory, etc

This doesn't match hiring trends, or student quality ranking by numbers.

Cornell places about as well as Boalt does, and Wustl places nowhere near where Cornell does.

HYS > CCN > MVPBNDC > GV Tex LA > t17-T40ish >t2 >teverything else.

In terms of quality of student Gtown would be with MVPBDNC.

Y> HS >> CCN >>> MVPBNDC >>>> GV Tex LA

The difference between HS and CCN is bigger than the difference between CCN and the rest of the T13.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Bronte wrote:We go to top law schools for the jobs.

I'm just going for teh lulz.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
The difference between Yale and UVA is greater than the difference between UVA and Vandy.

Really..and what exactly do you mean by "THE DIFFERENCE"

By "THE DIFFERENCE," I mean opportunities that are available to graduates of one school that are not available to graduates of the other, and the likelihood of those opportunities.

And why do you think these graduates have those opportunities??? School Rank again??

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
Y> HS >>> CCN >> MVPBNDC >>> GV Tex LA

The difference between HS and CCN is bigger than the difference between CCN and the rest of the T13.

better?

Yes. Disregard the blanket I fedex'd you.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

better?

Yes. Disregard the blanket I fedex'd you.

Much appreciated. I'll give it to a needy elder.

Maybe some needy preschool children.

Mibalase

Postby Mibalase » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:00 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Not really. You don't learn just from professors. You learn from your classmates, group projects/extracurriculars, in-class discussion, etc.

If you swtiched the faculty and the student bodies, yes, I think the ranking of the T-14 would go down.

This has turned into high LSAT/GPA = smart students. Is that really true? If someone happened to fudge his lsat and he slacked off in UG, he's dinged for HYS, but he could very well be a better classmate than a 170+/3.95 regarding class discussion.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:02 pm

If you took the faculty from a 14 TTT's and switched it with the T-14 would the ranking of the T-14 go down? Would the rankings of the TTT schools improve?

If you answer yes to both of those questions, T-14 offer better quality of education.
If not, it's all in the name.

It probably would affect the USNEWS performance. A big component in the rankings is peer evaluations- other academics. If you took the top 15 profs from HYS, and moved them to a lower T20, it's very likely the peer evaluation of the T20 would substantially benefit from that change.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Mibalase wrote:
This has turned into high LSAT/GPA = smart students. Is that really true? If someone happened to fudge his lsat and he slacked off in UG, he's dinged for HYS, but he could very well be a better classmate than a 170+/3.95 regarding class discussion.

Yes, he/she certainly could be a better classmate. But he most likely is not. If you had to select a class of, say, 400 students, and wanted to get the most intelligent/stimulating people who would contribute most to class discussion, and couldn't hold mock classes for every applicant, how would you choose? My guess is previous academic record and standardized test scores.

I'd also add that while GPA/LSAT are big components that's not all. Top schools often have people with very strong softs.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Mibalase wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
Not really. You don't learn just from professors. You learn from your classmates, group projects/extracurriculars, in-class discussion, etc.

If you swtiched the faculty and the student bodies, yes, I think the ranking of the T-14 would go down.

That's true, and it's why law firms dig into lower ranked schools.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Mibalase wrote:If someone happened to fudge his lsat and he slacked off in UG, he's dinged for HYS, but he could very well be a better classmate than a 170+/3.95 regarding class discussion.

Well his slacking in undergrad and blowing the LSAT would indicate that he has less potential for the study of law, considering that law school is based on big tests and hard study.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:15 pm

rad law wrote:
Mibalase wrote:If someone happened to fudge his lsat and he slacked off in UG, he's dinged for HYS, but he could very well be a better classmate than a 170+/3.95 regarding class discussion.

Well his slacking in undergrad and blowing the LSAT would indicate that he has less potential for the study of law, considering that law school is based on big tests and hard study.

Not less potential, just less likelihood she'll reach her potential. The thing about effort is that it can be switched on.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:18 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Mibalase wrote:

Yes, he/she certainly could be a better classmate. But he most likely is not. If you had to select a class of, say, 400 students, and wanted to get the most intelligent/stimulating people who would contribute most to class discussion, and couldn't hold mock classes for every applicant, how would you choose? My guess is previous academic record and standardized test scores.

I'd also add that while GPA/LSAT are big components that's not all. Top schools often have people with very strong softs.

Really? You are correlating GPA/LSAT to a students participation in class. A 170 student in my opinion does not necessarily mean a better classmate.

And please..Top Schools care about the numbers more than they do abt softs

Mibalase

Postby Mibalase » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:20 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Mibalase wrote:

That's why NW has interviews.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new hiring trend at v100 has a larger percentage of students from lower ranked schools for the simple reason that if I'm only going to hire x% of what I used to hire might as well get the best we can regardless of prestige.

On a side note, some TTT's are better prepared for lawyer work from the start then T1

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
Mibalase wrote:

Really? You are correlating GPA/LSAT to a students participation in class. A 170 student in my opinion does not necessarily mean a better classmate.

Jesus man let it go. I know you're pissed you didn't get into a t-14, but it's not that big of a deal. Instead of telling people that the rankings don't matter - prove it. Go to law school and be the best student there.

edit: Then when one day you're partner at a firm you can hire all the non-t14 students that you want.
Last edited by nycparalegal on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Mibalase wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
Mibalase wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the new hiring trend at v100 has a larger percentage of students from lower ranked schools for the simple reason that if I'm only going to hire x% of what I used to hire might as well get the best we can regardless of prestige.

On a side note, some TTT's are better prepared for lawyer work from the start then T1

Excellent Point. All schools should interview. I have been in classes with students who had straight As but never contributed a thing in class. I am sure they will have no problem getting into Yale. Are they going to contribute to a
better classroom experience..Hell NO..

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Ask a sub-T14 to T14 transfer.

Mibalase

Postby Mibalase » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:23 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
Mibalase wrote:

Jesus man let it go. I know you're pissed you didn't get into a t-14, but it's not that big of a deal. Instead of telling people that the rankings don't matter - prove it. Go to law school and be the best student there.

agree.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:24 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
Mibalase wrote:

edit: Then when one day you're partner at a firm you can hire all the non-t14 students that you want.

Well i am not going to lie to you....I am pissed. I just got rejected at Cornell...If Columbia doesnt come through for me..then i am out of a T14...

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:25 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:

Well i am not going to lie to you....I am pissed. I just got rejected at Cornell...If Columbia doesnt come through for me..then i am out of a T14...

It happens. What were your stats? When did you apply?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Mibalase wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
Mibalase wrote:

LOL, NU took me, and I'm a social retard.

Law firms are now going to prestige whore more than ever. Firms can now get HYS CCN students that they couldn't before. And why would they purposely go lower when the pay is the same anyway?

2011 OCI rumors showed that T14 schools held up so-so, but schools like Illinois and Notre Dame got rocked.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:34 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:

Negotiate with Pless using Iowa's offer. Go to UIUC. Be in top 10% -> profit.

Mibalase

Postby Mibalase » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Mibalase wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
Mibalase wrote:

LOL, NU took me, and I'm a social retard.

Law firms are now going to prestige whore more than ever. Firms can now get HYS CCN students that they couldn't before. And why would they purposely go lower when the pay is the same anyway?

2011 OCI rumors showed that T14 schools held up so-so, but schools like Illinois and Notre Dame got rocked.

:-)

'cause maybe some firms care more about moving up in their Vault rankings! and having 90% of
HCC grads aint gonna do it, top lawyers will

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Mibalase wrote::-)

'cause maybe some firms care more about moving up in their Vault rankings! and having 90% of
HCC grads aint gonna do it, top lawyers will

I think you are confused about what top lawyers means bro.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:37 pm

And some T1s are better prepared for lawyer work than some TTTs.*

* I think It's completely idiotic to identify people by rank of the school they attended.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”