Minnesota vs. WUSTL: Does it make much difference?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chris771

Minnesota vs. WUSTL: Does it make much difference?

Postby chris771 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Minnesota gave me about a 2/3 tuition scholarship, and WUSTL gave 90%. I would like to practice in the Twin Cities area, but I would have less debt coming from WUSTL. Given their close proximity in ranking, will picking one over the other make much difference for job options (in PI field specifically) after graduation?

BoomBoom1986

Re: Minnesota vs. WUSTL: Does it make much difference?

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Wow! That's a tought choice! I'm strongly considering UMN (and my only fear is that it won't be that mobile). I'd say WUSTL in any other circumstance (more money AND a slightly better school), but seeing as you want to practice in Minneapolis, that's a tough one. Could you try and get Minny to match their peer's offer? Also, do you have in-state tuition at UMN, so the difference in scholly money may be balanced out?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:52 pm

Absolutely ask for more money from UMN. I can tell you from firsthand experience that schools are willing to match offers, especially from better schools. WUSTL is definitely a better school, and if it is cheaper for you to go to WUSTL than UMN, then UMN should recognize that and up it. If you need help structuring a letter to ask for an increase, PM me.

Emboss

Postby Emboss » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:52 pm

Both are T20 schools. You'll get a job in Minneapolis without a problem graduating from WUSTL (one of the midwest's most prestigious, well-known schools), provided you do not mess up law school.

I would definitely, definitely, definitely go to WUSTL in your situation. 90%? Wow. You're lucky!

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Emboss wrote:Both are T20 schools. You'll get a job in Minneapolis without a problem graduating from WUSTL (one of the midwest's most prestigious, well-known schools), provided you do not mess up law school.

I would definitely, definitely, definitely go to WUSTL in your situation. 90%? Wow. You're lucky!

How is a school in the Pacific Northwest considered preftigious in the midwest?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm going to vote for UMN in this case, but ONLY because you want to practice in MN.

Ask them for more $$$.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Emboss wrote:Both are T20 schools. You'll get a job in Minneapolis without a problem graduating from WUSTL (one of the midwest's most prestigious, well-known schools), provided you do not mess up law school.

Without a problem? I wouldn't go that far. A lot of people are having getting ANY job from T20s these days. And St. Louis isn't exactly close to Minneapolis.

OP, I think you have two outstanding options. I think given your situation as it stands now, I would go with WUSTL because of the money. But I do think that Minnesota really should give you more money, and if you ask them the right way and they really want you to attend, they will probably do so.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:57 pm

kittenmittons wrote:

How is a school in the Pacific Northwest considered preftigious in the midwest?

Washington University of SalT Lake city, dude.

OP, if you want to stay in Minnesota post-grad, stay there.

Fast_Fingers

Postby Fast_Fingers » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Ask first (and visit if you haven't already) then decide. They're pretty much equal in terms of rankings (+/- 1 in differences boil down to subjective qualities (the city, campus, experiences during ASW).

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Helmholtz wrote:OP, if you want to stay in Minnesota post-grad, stay there.

TITCR

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Minn for MN; WUSTL for almost anywhere else.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”