For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Core

For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Core » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm

-
Last edited by Core on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 pm

I think you'll get into NYU with a 3.9+/168. You should either go there or Michigan.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Obviously, an acceptance from either NYU or CLS would make your decision a lot easier.

I say go to the school with the best LRAP program. Of the four, I am pretty sure that Berkeley has the best LRAP by a mile. Spend your summers doing PI work in New York.

I am assuming, by the way, that Michigan is offering you $30K for all three years. If they in fact offered you $30K/yr (for a total of $90K), then you should probably go there.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Dignan wrote:Obviously, an acceptance from either NYU or CLS would make your decision a lot easier.

I say go to the school with the best LRAP program. Of the four, I am pretty sure that Berkeley has the best LRAP by a mile. Spend your summers doing PI work in New York.

I am assuming, by the way, that Michigan is offering you $30K for all three years. If they in fact offered you $30K/yr (for a total of $90K), then you should probably go there.

Thanks.
They did not.

badfish

Postby badfish » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Ya, unfortunately Chi (which is arguably the best school on the list) quickly falls to the bottom when you say that you want to do PI and that they haven't given you any $.

See if you cant get into NYU or CLS, otherwise have fun in Cali.

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:56 am

This is a tough call. I'd say Mich looks good. Why do you say Penn's program is shoddy? Just curious, I don't know anything about it

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:53 am

Given your aversion to the left coast, under no circumstances should you go to Berkeley at sticker.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:19 am

kittenmittons wrote:Given your aversion to the left coast, under no circumstances should you go to Berkeley at sticker.

Unless your desire for a strong LRAP outweighs your desire to stay away from the west coast. I also don't think Berkeley will trap you out west. All the PI folks I know in NYC hold Berkeley in extremely high regard (but that's for environmental stuff, don't know how it holds up otherwise). If you don't get in to NYU, I would say that it's a toss up between Berkeley and Michigan and LRAP should be higher on your list of considerations than location.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Even with IBR, Chicago isn't worth it for PI?

Core

Postby Core » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Shameless bump - seems like I got pushed down to the very bottom of the page =\.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:22 pm

Kronk had a very interesting exchange with a Professor when Kronk questioned said Professor about PI opportunities post law school.

I would recommend PMing him.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:26 pm

booboo wrote:Kronk had a very interesting exchange with a Professor when Kronk questioned said Professor about PI opportunities post law school.

I would recommend PMing him.

Will do, thanks.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:00 pm

Honestly, I'd do Berkeley unless you absolutely HAAAAAATE the west coast.

I'd take a top 30 scholly over any of these at sticker for PI, though.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:44 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Honestly, I'd do Berkeley unless you absolutely HAAAAAATE the west coast.

I'd take a top 30 scholly over any of these at sticker for PI, though.

Why? With IBR, doing PI at any of these at sticker seems affordable.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Personal preference. If I knew I was going to be making a low salary out of graduation, I'd be awfully tempted by a full scholly from some pretty good schools. But I'm pretty debt-averse.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 am

Yeah, this is pretty tough. Take solace in the fact that you have some really awesome options. However, I really see no reason to pick Penn. For what it's worth, I'm also interested in pursuing PI work (although probably not in NYC) and have also narrowed my final choices down to Chicago, Boalt, and Michigan.

Are you going to visit any of these schools? I see compelling reasons for these other three -- although for PI specifically, I'm a little more skeptical about Chicago. Berkeley does have a really great LRAP...really really great. Michigan, though, will by far be your cheapest option -- the nice scholarship being compounded by the low COL in Ann Arbor.

What school's professor did Kronk speak with about PI opportunities? My interest is piqued.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, this is pretty tough. Take solace in the fact that you have some really awesome options. However, I really see no reason to pick Penn. For what it's worth, I'm also interested in pursuing PI work (although probably not in NYC) and have also narrowed my final choices down to Chicago, Boalt, and Michigan.

Are you going to visit any of these schools? I see compelling reasons for these other three -- although for PI specifically, I'm a little more skeptical about Chicago. Berkeley does have a really great LRAP...really really great. Michigan, though, will by far be your cheapest option -- the nice scholarship being compounded by the low COL in Ann Arbor.

What school's professor did Kronk speak with about PI opportunities? My interest is piqued.

Chicago, I believe. Also, UChi is supposedly going to unveil some new info regarding public interest during the ASW.

Core

Postby Core » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, this is pretty tough. Take solace in the fact that you have some really awesome options. However, I really see no reason to pick Penn. For what it's worth, I'm also interested in pursuing PI work (although probably not in NYC) and have also narrowed my final choices down to Chicago, Boalt, and Michigan.

Shoot him a PM. The news is great to hear though :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”