For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Core » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm

-
Last edited by Core on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 pm

I think you'll get into NYU with a 3.9+/168. You should either go there or Michigan.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Dignan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Obviously, an acceptance from either NYU or CLS would make your decision a lot easier.

I say go to the school with the best LRAP program. Of the four, I am pretty sure that Berkeley has the best LRAP by a mile. Spend your summers doing PI work in New York.

I am assuming, by the way, that Michigan is offering you $30K for all three years. If they in fact offered you $30K/yr (for a total of $90K), then you should probably go there.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Core » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Dignan wrote:Obviously, an acceptance from either NYU or CLS would make your decision a lot easier.

I say go to the school with the best LRAP program. Of the four, I am pretty sure that Berkeley has the best LRAP by a mile. Spend your summers doing PI work in New York.

I am assuming, by the way, that Michigan is offering you $30K for all three years. If they in fact offered you $30K/yr (for a total of $90K), then you should probably go there.

Thanks.
They did not.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby badfish » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Ya, unfortunately Chi (which is arguably the best school on the list) quickly falls to the bottom when you say that you want to do PI and that they haven't given you any $.

See if you cant get into NYU or CLS, otherwise have fun in Cali.

User avatar
roundabout
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 am

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby roundabout » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:56 am

This is a tough call. I'd say Mich looks good. Why do you say Penn's program is shoddy? Just curious, I don't know anything about it

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:53 am

Given your aversion to the left coast, under no circumstances should you go to Berkeley at sticker.

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby ccs224 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:19 am

kittenmittons wrote:Given your aversion to the left coast, under no circumstances should you go to Berkeley at sticker.


Unless your desire for a strong LRAP outweighs your desire to stay away from the west coast. I also don't think Berkeley will trap you out west. All the PI folks I know in NYC hold Berkeley in extremely high regard (but that's for environmental stuff, don't know how it holds up otherwise). If you don't get in to NYU, I would say that it's a toss up between Berkeley and Michigan and LRAP should be higher on your list of considerations than location.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Core » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Even with IBR, Chicago isn't worth it for PI?

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Core » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Shameless bump - seems like I got pushed down to the very bottom of the page =\.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby booboo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:22 pm

Kronk had a very interesting exchange with a Professor when Kronk questioned said Professor about PI opportunities post law school.

I would recommend PMing him.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Core » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:26 pm

booboo wrote:Kronk had a very interesting exchange with a Professor when Kronk questioned said Professor about PI opportunities post law school.

I would recommend PMing him.

Will do, thanks.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:00 pm

Honestly, I'd do Berkeley unless you absolutely HAAAAAATE the west coast.

I'd take a top 30 scholly over any of these at sticker for PI, though.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Core » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:44 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Honestly, I'd do Berkeley unless you absolutely HAAAAAATE the west coast.

I'd take a top 30 scholly over any of these at sticker for PI, though.

Why? With IBR, doing PI at any of these at sticker seems affordable.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Personal preference. If I knew I was going to be making a low salary out of graduation, I'd be awfully tempted by a full scholly from some pretty good schools. But I'm pretty debt-averse.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 am

Yeah, this is pretty tough. Take solace in the fact that you have some really awesome options. However, I really see no reason to pick Penn. For what it's worth, I'm also interested in pursuing PI work (although probably not in NYC) and have also narrowed my final choices down to Chicago, Boalt, and Michigan.

Are you going to visit any of these schools? I see compelling reasons for these other three -- although for PI specifically, I'm a little more skeptical about Chicago. Berkeley does have a really great LRAP...really really great. Michigan, though, will by far be your cheapest option -- the nice scholarship being compounded by the low COL in Ann Arbor.

What school's professor did Kronk speak with about PI opportunities? My interest is piqued.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, this is pretty tough. Take solace in the fact that you have some really awesome options. However, I really see no reason to pick Penn. For what it's worth, I'm also interested in pursuing PI work (although probably not in NYC) and have also narrowed my final choices down to Chicago, Boalt, and Michigan.

Are you going to visit any of these schools? I see compelling reasons for these other three -- although for PI specifically, I'm a little more skeptical about Chicago. Berkeley does have a really great LRAP...really really great. Michigan, though, will by far be your cheapest option -- the nice scholarship being compounded by the low COL in Ann Arbor.

What school's professor did Kronk speak with about PI opportunities? My interest is piqued.


Chicago, I believe. Also, UChi is supposedly going to unveil some new info regarding public interest during the ASW.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: For NYC PI - Chicago, Berkeley, Penn, or Michigan (with$30k)

Postby Core » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, this is pretty tough. Take solace in the fact that you have some really awesome options. However, I really see no reason to pick Penn. For what it's worth, I'm also interested in pursuing PI work (although probably not in NYC) and have also narrowed my final choices down to Chicago, Boalt, and Michigan.

Are you going to visit any of these schools? I see compelling reasons for these other three -- although for PI specifically, I'm a little more skeptical about Chicago. Berkeley does have a really great LRAP...really really great. Michigan, though, will by far be your cheapest option -- the nice scholarship being compounded by the low COL in Ann Arbor.

What school's professor did Kronk speak with about PI opportunities? My interest is piqued.

Shoot him a PM. The news is great to hear though :)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Google [Bot], Kimmysradscreenname and 2 guests