Emory vs. UIUC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Emory vs. UIUC

Emory
45%
UIUC
55%

Total votes: 20

tomhaverford

Emory vs. UIUC

Postby tomhaverford » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Some background on the situation: I've gotten 20k from both schools and being in-state for UIUC makes it cheaper by abt 6-8K. I would like to get into BigLaw but I know it will be difficult at either institution, especially ITE.

I don't really have a preference between Chicago/ATL (or the east coast for that matter). I have visited UIUC already and I was pretty impressed. Did not really love the campus, mostly because I've already done the college town thing for 4 years so I would prefer the city environment a little more (but obviously not a deal-breaker).

The plus for Emory from what I've heard is that it is a beautiful campus (again I'll go check it out for myself soon). The thing that concerns me about Emory is that it seems to do worse in BigLaw compared to UIUC despite its slightly higher ranked and its supposed prestige.

I guess the biggest concern again is going to be BigLaw placement since they seem similar in most respects other than location. Any enlightened thoughts about either school would be welcome. Thanks.

rando

Re: Emory vs. UIUC

Postby rando » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:09 pm

In my opinion, the beauty of the campus shouldn't be a driving factor in your decision. But it is your decision, so have at it. That being said, Emory is nice. It is located in a small upscale pocket on the outskirts of Atlanta.

In terms of biglaw, you have to do extremely well your 1L year in either of these places. As I have mentioned before, it seems anecdotally that this past class at Emory has placed about 20% at paid firm positions for this upcoming summer. I don't know much about UIUC but if you are getting $20k from Emory that is still a big gap to make up with loans. And i hope you are talking about $20k/yr. If not, I would go to a lower ranked state school and hedge your bets.

tomhaverford

Postby tomhaverford » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:22 pm

rando wrote:In my opinion, the beauty of the campus shouldn't be a driving factor in your decision. But it is your decision, so have at it. That being said, Emory is nice. It is located in a small upscale pocket on the outskirts of Atlanta.

In terms of biglaw, you have to do extremely well your 1L year in either of these places. As I have mentioned before, it seems anecdotally that this past class at Emory has placed about 20% at paid firm positions for this upcoming summer. I don't know much about UIUC but if you are getting $20k from Emory that is still a big gap to make up with loans. And i hope you are talking about $20k/yr. If not, I would go to a lower ranked state school and hedge your bets.

Thanks for your input. Yes it is 20K a year. And its not really beauty of campus. It's just that the 2 schools seem kind of similar (based on simply stuff I've read) minus the type of campuses. I'm just trying to distinguish between the 2 to make a decision. The cost difference between the 2 would be about 6-8K a year (Emory costing more). Its not a humongous difference, but definitely a noticeable one.

rando

Postby rando » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:30 pm

The Emory area is certainly nice. And Atlanta is a good place to be. You are right, that at the end of the day 6-8k/yr is not a huge difference.
If I were you, I would think long and hard about what city you would rather be in. Both schools are very good regionally, and if you are at the very top of your class, can move you around nationally.
I would argue, and others on this board will undoubtedly refute, that Emory has a nice niche because Atlanta is a relatively large market with less competition from other good law schools. For instance, the Chicago market will be filled with C, NW, ND ... Emory is the best school in the state (according to rankings and biglaw placement) and arguably the best school in the South until you hit Vandy on the West and Duke on the North.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Given that UIUC is cheaper by about $20k over 3 years, and that you have no real preference over Chicago/ATL, you should go to UIUC for biglaw.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”