1L Summer Job Prospects @ U. of Arizona

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Co2013

1L Summer Job Prospects @ U. of Arizona

Postby Co2013 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi All,

I am in a unique situation as I am getting married this May, and I am strongly considering moving to attend law school at the University of Arizona (OOS). One question I have is how might the summer 1L job prospects work out for me if I am not able to move out of Tucson (or the surrounding area where my wife and I will be living)? Are there any good jobs within or in close proximity to Tuscon?

I am interested in working for a private law firm that has a solid reputation over the summer, and I would prefer not to drive more than 1 hour to a job in the summer.

Thanks in advance for the help/insight!

cardinalandgold

Re: 1L Summer Job Prospects @ U. of Arizona

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:28 pm

How is this a unique situation? And I wouldn't worry too much, chances of getting a 1L firm job are slim to none ITE.

Co2013

Postby Co2013 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Would this situation make you more inclined to attend a different university near a city that has a most relatively established legal market?

I.E:

ASU > Phoenix
Colorado > Boulder
Seattle U > Seattle
Chicago Kent > Chicago

Thanks again.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:47 pm

Co2013 wrote:Would this situation make you more inclined to attend a different university near a city that has a most relatively established legal market?

I.E:

ASU > Phoenix
Colorado > Boulder
Seattle U > Seattle
Chicago Kent > Chicago

Thanks again.

--ImageRemoved--

Co2013

Postby Co2013 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Sorry, I'm a little lost - heh

bees

Postby bees » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Co2013 wrote:Sorry, I'm a little lost - heh

None of those schools are going to get you a 1L job at a firm. Chicago Kent may be a "spoon among forks (Chicago has a much larger legal market than the other cities you listed)" but you'd still have to place ridiculously well in your class to land the type of job you are seeking. You seem slightly out of touch with the difficulties of finding legal employment in this economy if you had planned on a 1L gig with a firm while going to Arizona.

(Dislcaimer: I am a lowly 0L, and everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. I am simply repeating information I have seen posted on this forum numerous times by others. Sorry Renzo, if you are out there.)

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 pm

People with good grades from T10 schools weren't getting 1L firm jobs in the Southwest this summer. Your chance of getting one from UofA is probably ~1% or so.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”