Decision time.... Help me out TLS Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I pick?

Emory with 81k scholly
63%
Washington and Lee with full ride
37%

Total votes: 52

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Decision time.... Help me out TLS

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Alright so my cycle has come to an end. My two choices are Emory and Washington and Lee.

Washington and Lee gave me a full ride, provided I keep a 3.25, which is top 65% based off this years 1l curve ( I think it changes slightly from year to year, but top 65% is a good estimate of where I will have to be).

Emory gave me 81k all together, meaning total tuition debt would be just under 50k. No strings attached, just stay in good standing, which basically means don't fail out I think.

I have no undergrad debt, and my parents are gonna help me out with some living expenses. If you asked me to pick one school without thinking about money Emory would win out slightly because of location and job prospects, but only slightly, there are pros and cons to each school. I am alright with living anywhere in the southeast, which is why these are my final two schools. I want to do litigation, jag looks very appealing to
me, but I would like it if big/midlaw was at least an option. I am leaning heavily toward WL because of the 50 grand difference, the tuition strings do make me nervous though.

Give me some wisdom TLS, persuade me one way or another!

Ps, this was written on my phone, sorry for typos.

MURPH

Silver

Re: Decision time.... Help me out TLS

Post by MURPH » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:11 pm

emory. The tuition strings are gonna look a lot worse when you get a 3.24 GPA and they say tough luck kid. If you are really thinking about JAG then talk to a military recruiter. I don't know what they are offering but they are usually generous.

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:13 pm

I vote Emory.

Ideally, you're gunna want to be top 65% no matter where you go, right? So either way, you're going to be worrying about that. If it was top 25% or something, that'd be a different story.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm

If you want BigLaw/Mid-law then I think Emory's going to carry you further since it's located in the middle of the largest market in the south. 50K is a decent amount of debt, but if you don't have UG debt and can get some help with the living expenses then I think it's certainly manageable.

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:22 pm

i would try to get the requirement at w&l down to a 3.0 and then go there. what stats did you have to get 81k at emory, and was there anything else you did in particular there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Remember, law school GPA is never a given. Smart people can do poorly and stupid people can do well. Take the guaranteed $. 50k is not a lot of debt at all.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:36 pm

To answer some questions....

-I already tried to negotiate the W&L scholarship down, they said no. I am going to the ASW next week so maybe a one on one conversation will get them to change their minds, but I am not holding my breath.

-As far as stats go, I have a 166 and a 3.73. My cycle has made me think that people on this site slightly underestimate the importance of softs because I don't think my numbers alone were enough to get me the $ I was offered. I am a middle class white guy so no bump there, but I did apply very early, had three strong LORS at each school, and for someone right out of undergrad I think my resume is solid. I did get nominated for the Woodruff at Emory, which I think made a difference.

- One thing to keep in mind, my scholarship for my first year at W&L is guranteed. Worse case scenario I lose it for 2L and 3L years, which would make my tuition debt a little under 80K all together. Still a lot to pay, but not HUGELY different from the 50K I will definitely have coming out of Emory.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:48 am

One more thing, I think it's pretty established that Emory does not negotiate scholly money, so no way to negotiate their scholly up.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:01 am

Not to be impatient...but bump....anymore perspectives?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 am

Visited Emory yet? After you've seen both, you might have a better idea.

I would personally lean towards Emory. It's the better school and the GPA strings are scary.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:29 am

Emory gets my vote. Atlanta is great and, more importantly, so is the school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”