Is Emory worth 50k more than Tulane?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
twintipping_bumps

Is Emory worth 50k more than Tulane?

Postby twintipping_bumps » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Ok, after factoring in scholarship offers and not accounting for tuition increases while using the costs delineated in the acceptance packets, my COA at Emory would be $140, 526 where I am below 25% GPA but above 3.0 and at median LSAT, and my COA at Tulane would be $90, 073 where my GPA status is the same but LSAT is well above 75%.

QOL seems better at Emory - heck, they have a diving well at their pool facility which is actually a major draw for me; however, I am concerned about debt since I will be 33 when I finish Law School. Tulane, in my New England eyes, is more well known, but obviously Emory is more prestigious to people that study the rankings, and the employment statistics appear to favor Emory, though I feel capable of landing a good job from Tulane.

Comparing the QOL and ranking at Emory versus the reduced cost at Tulane, it is essentially a draw for me. I have heard Emory does not negotiate. I wonder if Tulane might be willing to increase the cost gap by raising its merit aid offer if I tell them about Emory. I would probably chose whichever one is willing to up the aid offer, but I understand neither might be willing to do so. The Tulane offer conditions a 3.0 GPA while Emory's presents a more lenient "good standing" condition. Though I plan to do well and hope to be at the top of my class, I suppose these conditions should also be a factor. Certainly, I know I can remain in good standing whereas I am a touch less confident about maintaining a 3.0 given the stories I have heard about how difficult Law School can be.

Any opinions on how to proceed?

Thank you.

twintipping_bumps

Re: Is Emory worth 50k more than Tulane?

Postby twintipping_bumps » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:18 pm

I guess I'll phrase the question another way: if I work really hard and get good grades and try to get work in the film industry, would the Emory name do that much more for me than the Tulane name?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:26 pm

Film industry?

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 pm

I doubt either of these schools are going to allow to to be this guy

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Entertainment Law: counsel for a studio, working with a talent agency, being an agent, working as a producer drafting/negotiating deals, etc.

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:I doubt either of these schools are going to allow to to be this guy

lol. I just know with the producing I have done I am more drawn to the legal areas, but I am not educated in securities laws or drafting the long and verbose contracts I see.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”