Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Iowa v Loyola v OSU

Iowa (sticker)
2
7%
Loyola Chicago (w/ $60,000)
9
33%
OSU (w/ $25,500)
16
59%
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Thoughts?

The numbers come out to this...
Iowa price tag = $42,922 (1 year OOS tuition) + $48,308 (2 year IS tuition w/ RA position) + $45,000 (3 years COL) = $136,230

Loyola price tag = $37,380 (1 year tuition) x 3 = $112,140 - $60,000 (scholarship) + $20,000 (3 years COL in Chicago) = $112,140

Ohio State price tag = $39,000 (1 year OOS tuition) + $48,000 (2 year IS tuition) - $25,500 (scholarship) + $45,000 (3 years COL) = $106,500

Granted, Loyola tuition is from last year, so you can probably tack on another $2-3,000 on there. Thanks for the opinions.
Last edited by traehekat on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby Doritos » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:34 pm

I say Ohio State without a doubt. Iowa v. OSU is so close rankings don't matter they are both the big dogs in their states so follow the money.

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby baboon309 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:11 pm

traehekat wrote:Thoughts?

The numbers come out to this...
Iowa price tag = $42,922 (1 year OOS tuition) + $48,308 (2 year IS tuition w/ RA position) + $45,000 (3 years COL) = $136,230

Loyola price tag = $37,380 (1 year tuition) x 3 = $112,140 - $60,000 (scholarship) + $20,000 (3 years COL in Chicago) = $112,140

Ohio State price tag = $35,516 (1 year OOS tuition) + $38,464 (2 year IS tuition) - $25,500 (scholarship) + $45,000 (3 years COL) = $93,480


Granted, Loyola and OSU tuition is from last year, so you can probably tack on another $6-8,000 on there. Thanks for the opinions.


Tuition in OSU just went up. It`s about 39k for OOS and 24k for In-state now
COL is 16000+4000 Insurance/supplies/books = 20k

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:21 pm

baboon309 wrote:
traehekat wrote:Thoughts?

The numbers come out to this...
Iowa price tag = $42,922 (1 year OOS tuition) + $48,308 (2 year IS tuition w/ RA position) + $45,000 (3 years COL) = $136,230

Loyola price tag = $37,380 (1 year tuition) x 3 = $112,140 - $60,000 (scholarship) + $20,000 (3 years COL in Chicago) = $112,140

Ohio State price tag = $35,516 (1 year OOS tuition) + $38,464 (2 year IS tuition) - $25,500 (scholarship) + $45,000 (3 years COL) = $93,480


Granted, Loyola and OSU tuition is from last year, so you can probably tack on another $6-8,000 on there. Thanks for the opinions.


Tuition in OSU just went up. It`s about 39k for OOS and 24k for In-state now
COL is 16000+4000 Insurance/supplies/books = 20k


:shock:

Please adjust votes accordingly.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 am

baboon309 wrote:Tuition in OSU just went up. It`s about 39k for OOS and 24k for In-state now
COL is 16000+4000 Insurance/supplies/books = 20k


Oh, the bastards.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
baboon309 wrote:Tuition in OSU just went up. It`s about 39k for OOS and 24k for In-state now
COL is 16000+4000 Insurance/supplies/books = 20k


Oh, the bastards.


That is a huge spike, especially for in-state.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:40 am

traehekat wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
baboon309 wrote:Tuition in OSU just went up. It`s about 39k for OOS and 24k for In-state now
COL is 16000+4000 Insurance/supplies/books = 20k


Oh, the bastards.


That is a huge spike, especially for in-state.


hm, huge? It's like 2k, right?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:15 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
traehekat wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
baboon309 wrote:Tuition in OSU just went up. It`s about 39k for OOS and 24k for In-state now
COL is 16000+4000 Insurance/supplies/books = 20k


Oh, the bastards.


That is a huge spike, especially for in-state.


hm, huge? It's like 2k, right?


Yup, my bad! Thought it was 19k last year, not 22k. So yeah, just the normal disgusting rise in law school tuition. :P

Whitters
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby Whitters » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 pm

hmm, very interested in this for myself as well. But, I vote OSU, or Iowa and get an RA in the second and third year to drop down to in state tuition.

ylee0331
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby ylee0331 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 pm

is it bad that I am offended by "Iowa v. OSU is so close rankings" from above?

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby Doritos » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 pm

ylee0331 wrote:is it bad that I am offended by "Iowa v. OSU is so close rankings" from above?


haha yes. I don't mean to offend I just think they are peer schools. I think of the schools in more of a tier fashion than look at the specific rankings. Iowa and OSU are the same tier IMO. Arbitrary cutoffs like T20 seem less and less appealing the more I think about them. Is Emory (#20) just the bees knees and Boston College (#26) is not in the same league? The correct answer is "nah". Though I do understand the school pride you feel when you are accepted. I'm going to UVa and there's a part of me that wants to be like "yeah UVa is light years ahead of GeorgeTTTown! go me!" but I know thats dumb and not true. Be proud of the school you are going to but recognize being ranked a few spots better in a magazine does not put your school in another league than another one.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Iowa v OSU ($25,500) v Loyola ($60,000) for Chicago

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:02 pm

ylee0331 wrote:is it bad that I am offended by "Iowa v. OSU is so close rankings" from above?


I can't really gauge the "lay prestige" Iowa has. Numbers-wise it is a much easier school to gain admission to than most of the T30, even T35, but the average rank of Iowa from 2000-2008 has been 22.72 (and from 1991-1999 it was 21.3). The average rank from 2000-2008 for OSU, on the other hand, has been 38.06. BigLaw placement is pretty similar though, with 19.8% of Iowa graduates placing in NLJ 250 firms compared to 16.6% from OSU. So, can anyone answer why Iowa has always been so high ranked? Is it their stellar library or something like that?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mrtux45, no exit, Socratease and 4 guests