St. John's/Hofstra/Take a year off?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gk05

St. John's/Hofstra/Take a year off?

Postby gk05 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:01 pm

I recently received around 20,000 per year from st. johns, and 35,000 from hofstra. I have applied to fordham, nyu, cardozo, and brookyln but have not heard yet and my odds aren't great (3.7, 161 lsat). I want to work ip law, or business law at a large nyc firm and desire the fast-paced, competitive, small fish in a big pond atmosphere of big law. If I were able to be near the top of my class at st. johns or hofstra, would it be wise to attend or would I be better served waiting a year, or half a year in the case of cardozo because they have dec. admissions, to attend one of the three like cardozo, brooklyn, or fordham? Money is an issue because I have undergrad loans that I would have to start paying off and deferring these loans would be preferable. However, I don't want to lose the opportunity to land a job at a big firm if I am willing to work hard in law school. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

nycparalegal

Re: St. John's/Hofstra/Take a year off?

Postby nycparalegal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Take a year off and bring up your LSAT score. In this economy, you're taking a huge risk going to either school esp for biglaw. Students in the t-14 schools are being shut out of biglaw. With your gpa being 3.7, which is solid, bring your LSAT up to 168 and you're putting yourself in a great position to go to an amazing school where you will have a chance to get into biglaw.

pam920

Re: St. John's/Hofstra/Take a year off?

Postby pam920 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:44 am

I would imagine you'll get into Brooklyn. I heard from them last week with worst stats than yours. But no money, so I'm not going. Good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”