Reading Comprehension** Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bigmnstyle

Bronze

Reading Comprehension**

Post by bigmnstyle » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm

If you have 7 months to study which is better... Reading each economist magazine that comes out or going through the powerscore reading comp bible? I have a subscription to the former and currently have the latter. This will be my third time taking it and I am going to study all out for it but I perfect logical games so I am only focusing on reading comp as I think it will also help my logical reasoning sections as well. I get about 15 on reading comp and 33 on logical reasoning and I am looking to improve it to about 20 reading comp and 37 reasoning. If I did I could boost my score past that 160 barrier and I am basically looking for any tips in doing so. Thanks guys!!

MURPH

Silver

Re: Reading Comprehension**

Post by MURPH » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm

read Pithypike's guide. Do all the PTs again. Every last one you can get your hands on. Read the Economist if you have some time to read but the priority is the Practice test and the Bible.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Wait, seriously? You can easily read magazines and a book in seven months. Do both.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Also, mark up the Economist in much the same way you would a PT. Do it the exact same way you would a reading passage. Word out the main idea in your head...ask yourself questions about what you just read.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:38 pm

K, the only thing I don't like is I have already done the 10 latest practice tests besides the most recent one while prepping for the last LSAT. I have almost all the tests with me--should I go through all the earlier ones I haven't done as pacing(focusing on viewpoints and main points and summarizing each paragraph in my head, and redo the last 10 a couple months down the road. 10 months off of doing a practice test is enough time to forget the questions and be useful again to you, don't you think? lol- do you guys go through the passages quick or slow down for better comprehension? I usually get done with 3 passages but guess on most of the 4th passage

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:K, the only thing I don't like is I have already done the 10 latest practice tests besides the most recent one while prepping for the last LSAT. I have almost all the tests with me--should I go through all the earlier ones I haven't done as pacing(focusing on viewpoints and main points and summarizing each paragraph in my head, and redo the last 10 a couple months down the road. 10 months off of doing a practice test is enough time to forget the questions and be useful again to you, don't you think? lol- do you guys go through the passages quick or slow down for better comprehension? I usually get done with 3 passages but guess on most of the 4th passage

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 am

You should take this to the LSAT thread...but any way, since you have seven months. Get the oldest PTs. DO them first. Do them as slow as hell. Think about every answer choice. Decide why each is either right or wrong. Write down why each is either right or wrong. Don't write Kaplan crap like "out of scope". Find proof that it is out of scope like "Line 3 - 7 limit the scope to Chimps, Gorrillas, Humans and Neandertals. Monkeys don't count because they fling poo." So you should have five written responses to each answer.
Do that for about 10 tests. After you grade each test, look at the way you took notes/highlighted. Ask yourself if how you could have highlighted better or underlined or circled or whatever.
Then for the next ten try to work a little faster. Then do 10 more PTs with a little less writing and keep moving at a decent speed. That should take you through all three Actual Official Books.
When you are ready to work on the $8.00 individual PTs then bust out the timer. Set it for 33 minutes. When you are able to finish in 33 minutes drop the time to 31. After each PT read the Economist and take notes like the poster above suggested. This will help you to work on accuracy first, then timing and endurance.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Perfect, thank you

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Could someone bump this to the lsat thread? I don't know how to bump if I am the one that is suppose to be doing it.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:24 am

Or anybody explain how to bump something...sorry lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”