15K/yr @ McGeorge or Seattle U w/ no$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
azgirl22

15K/yr @ McGeorge or Seattle U w/ no$$

Postby azgirl22 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:38 pm

I got offered 15K/yr at McGeorge + first year books. Also in at Seattle U with no money. I've already got a substantial amount of student loan debt from my undergrad and master's. Do I take the money and run? Or go to the higher ranked school?

Of note, I love California and want to practice there in the future. However, I don't want to be stuck in Sacramento forever...

glacierfrost

Re: 15K/yr @ McGeorge or Seattle U w/ no$$

Postby glacierfrost » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:47 pm

You'll be stuck in Sacramento or Seattle forever. So which one do you like more?

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Seattle is an amazing city, (and given that both schools are largely regional) it's the type of place that I wouldn't mind living after school

are there conditions for your scholarship?
have you visited either campus?

azgirl22

Postby azgirl22 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:01 pm

saltoftheearth wrote:Seattle is an amazing city, (and given that both schools are largely regional) it's the type of place that I wouldn't mind living after school

are there conditions for your scholarship?
have you visited either campus?

I have visited both campuses. My thoughts:

Seattle U: the school didn't stand out to me too much, similar to many others I have visited. However, it's a brand new building and is very nice. I love Seattle bc it is an amazing city, but have two reservations: 1) career prospects are tough in Seattle right now, in any field of work not just law. 2) I live in Arizona and don't know how about this 40 days of rain business! Plus, they offered me no $$ so I'd be paying face value.

McGeorge: they have an entire campus just for the law school and it's a very tight knit little community. The students and staff are so friendly. The campus is actually pretty nice and the facilities aren't too bad w/ the exception of the library which is undergoing renovations. However, it's in a "transitional" neighborhood of Sacramento. The city of Sacramento is nothing to write home about, but it's in California and I love Cali. I have to be in the top 1/3 of my class to maintain my scholly.

I'm totally torn. HELP!
Last edited by azgirl22 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:01 pm

I have about the same dilemma (Valparaiso with $$$$ vs. Chicago-Kent) I'm probably going to go with Chicago-Kent.

In your case, I'd probably go with Seattle...I heard its awesome there and my step-sister loves it out there!

Edit: I got accepted to McGeorge too with the same scholarship offer but I'm, passing for Chicago-Kent. I freaking love Chicago and I'm not too keen on Sacramento.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:15 pm

as stars burn wrote:I have about the same dilemma (Valparaiso with $$$$ vs. Chicago-Kent) I'm probably going to go with Chicago-Kent.

In your case, I'd probably go with Seattle...I heard its awesome there and my step-sister loves it out there!

Edit: I got accepted to McGeorge too with the same scholarship offer but I'm, passing for Chicago-Kent. I freaking love Chicago and I'm not too keen on Sacramento.

Don't listen to this post just becaue someone 'heard it's awesome there', you will not know if you like Seattle until you live here. Fact.

Also, SU is lower ranked and has a huge, competitive class. With most UW 3Ls finding it difficult to secure employment, I would not consider SU, especially with your financial situation. Sorry to be blunt, but I work in a Seattle Law firm and the only new hire we have made is the current editor of the UW law review. Seattle U is the second best regional school in this town.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”