American v. UNC v. Loyola LA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Matteliszt

American v. UNC v. Loyola LA

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:00 am

Ideally I would like to practice corporate/business law. I know that no matter what all three schools are strictly regional, which is fine with me. I know American is known for government type stuff due to location. I have a wait list at Fordham that I feel trumps all three, but since all I really know about UNC is what I have researched via TLS (and that it "outranks" the other two), I was posting to see what ya'll thought. I got a fee waiver and applied, but I am out of state so tuition is still expensive. The pure expense end of law school is not really an issue for me (college fund) so the return on investment for the JD is not a huge issue. I haven't just declined at Loyola LA yet because I know it is a very strong candidate for the LA area, but I don't know how it compares to UNC (I guess Charlotte v LA for business and firm jobs is my question) Thanks for the help.

ruleser

Re: American v. UNC v. Loyola LA

Postby ruleser » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:13 am

Can't speak for the other two - Loyola LA mainly would get you smaller firm jobs, and even before ITE you might have to scramble for those if you aren't top-to-mid class. For big law, you needed to be top 10%, now, who knows, basically top of class. When you read the bios of people working at LA big law firms, those from the bigger schools simply say they attended, those of the Loyolans say Cum Laude, xxx award, etc. It is a widely known school in the city and the top of the T2 on downward, but not really a huge feeder for corporate law - BUT, you do get a shot, unliike a lot of lower down schools. And you can transfer up from it.

So depends on what you hear about UNC/American.

Matteliszt

Re: American v. UNC v. Loyola LA

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 am

I feel like UNC must have more opportunities, I guess I should continue to research. They haven't sent me any information so all I have seen is from the UNC placement thread.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”