Chicago ($75k scholarship) vs Penn (Levy - $110k scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Chicago ($75k scholarship) vs Penn (Levy - $110k scholarship)

Chicago ($75k scholarship)
31%
Penn (Levy Scholarship - $110k)
69%

Total votes: 55

cflames7

Chicago ($75k scholarship) vs Penn (Levy - $110k scholarship

Postby cflames7 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Some background info:

-I am an international student, so I do not qualify for federal loans (all my loans would need to be financed privately) - so debt is important to my decision
-I want to keep my career options open as much as possible (limited debt will help with this as I could go public interest, big law, business, academia)

-If i live in the USA, New York city, Boston, or California seem to be desirable locations for me (I could see myself in biglaw for a short term to pay of loans, but this career path doesn't appeal to me too much in the long term)
-I would like to live and practice law internationally (atleast for a bit). Possible go to Europe or Asia with an America law firm
-I would also be happy with public interest law (again, international would be good)

With Chicago, I figure I will graduate with $100-$125,000 in debt. With Penn, I figure I will graduate with $60-80k in debt

I appreciate feedback.

im_blue

Re: Chicago ($75k scholarship) vs Penn (Levy - $110k scholarship

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:50 pm

"I am an international student, so I do not qualify for federal loans (all my loans would need to be financed privately) - so debt is important to my decision"
Penn

"I want to keep my career options open as much as possible (limited debt will help with this as I could go public interest, big law, business, academia)"
Chicago

"If i live in the USA, New York city, Boston, or California seem to be desirable locations for me (I could see myself in biglaw for a short term to pay of loans, but this career path doesn't appeal to me too much in the long term)"
Chicago, Chicago, and Chicago

"I would like to live and practice law internationally (atleast for a bit). Possible go to Europe or Asia with an America law firm"
Chicago

"I would also be happy with public interest law (again, international would be good)"
Chicago

The only argument for Penn would be $35k less debt, but that's a small price to pay for an enormous difference in job prospects.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:01 am

im_blue wrote:"I am an international student, so I do not qualify for federal loans (all my loans would need to be financed privately) - so debt is important to my decision"
Penn

"I want to keep my career options open as much as possible (limited debt will help with this as I could go public interest, big law, business, academia)"
Chicago

"If i live in the USA, New York city, Boston, or California seem to be desirable locations for me (I could see myself in biglaw for a short term to pay of loans, but this career path doesn't appeal to me too much in the long term)"
Chicago, Chicago, and Chicago

"I would like to live and practice law internationally (atleast for a bit). Possible go to Europe or Asia with an America law firm"
Chicago

"I would also be happy with public interest law (again, international would be good)"
Chicago

The only argument for Penn would be $35k less debt, but that's a small price to pay for an enormous difference in job prospects.

Enormous is an awfully large exaggeration. Yes Chicago will give you more options, but much of that is predicated on what kind of student the OP is. Penn will still give you fantastic options. The difference is far from "enormous" though. If debt is your biggest consideration, I would go with Penn.

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 am

Thanks for the input.

So for comparison sake, what type of jobs would I be looking at if I was a median student at Penn vs if I was a median student at Chicago (how would my career prospects/options differ)?

Same question, but what if i am in the top 10% of the law class at Penn vs Chicago?

Thanks for the responses..

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:20 am

bumpity bump bump bump.

Still looking for some thoughts on Chicago vs Penn in my case.

What would you do? Why?

14yearplan

Postby 14yearplan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 am

cflames7 wrote:bumpity bump bump bump.

Still looking for some thoughts on Chicago vs Penn in my case.

What would you do? Why?

Flip a coin and be grateful for being in such a great position. Congrats!

Seriously, no one on this board will have an answer for you...and definitely not anything worth more than your own internal answers. Just decide where you want to be for the next three years and if you work hard on your studies wherever you choose, you can decide then where you want to be again. With hard work, either school will provide you with the opportunity to be wherever you want in 3 years. Good luck on your decision, but I suggest you own it, and decide for yourself. If you've always wanted to go to U of C, forget about the money and go there; if you like one city more than the other for any reason, factor it in to your decision. You really can't go wrong. Again, congrats and good luck!

And if you haven't visited both, go sit in on a class at both, talk to the students, staff, etc.--and you'll probably get a feeling for which one you want to go to.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”