UGA v. Vandy v. Emory v. Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which witch?

UGA ($30g)
7%
Vandy ($72g)
23%
Emory ($66g)
6%
Duke ($54g)
64%

Total votes: 69

papatel

UGA v. Vandy v. Emory v. Duke

Postby papatel » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:38 pm

I want to work in Atlanta, most likely doing PI work so $ is of obvious concern. I want a good QOL during law school but also the possibility of clerkship upon graduation. Scholarship amounts are full. WWYD? (and why?)

beesknees

Re: UGA v. Vandy v. Emory v. Duke

Postby beesknees » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

papatel

Postby papatel » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks! Very helpful :) Anyone else?

EDIT: Specifically, can anyone offer testament on QOL at these schools?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:24 pm

UGA makes absolutely no sense on this list, as the worst school with the least money. I'd pick Duke since Vandy and Emory are offering marginally more money.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:26 pm

im_blue wrote:UGA makes absolutely no sense on this list, as the worst school with the least money. I'd pick Duke since Vandy and Emory are offering marginally more money.

Unless he is a resident and so 30k means he has to pay only 4k per year...

papatel

Postby papatel » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:30 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
im_blue wrote:UGA makes absolutely no sense on this list, as the worst school with the least money. I'd pick Duke since Vandy and Emory are offering marginally more money.

This, and I currently live in Athens and know that I'd like 3 more years here. Also, I'm a she :D

cardnal124

Postby cardnal124 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:32 pm

papatel wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:

This, and I currently live in Athens and know that I'd like 3 more years here. Also, I'm a she :D

Go to Duke unless you want to be in Georgia forever... then still go to Duke

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm

papatel wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:

Hah thought so... about the resident part, not the he/she part. Apologies :oops:

papatel

Postby papatel » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:01 am

No worries! It's also on this list because of it's great access to the Atlanta market. Any other opinions out there? Would a better question have been: am I a moron if I don't go to Duke?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:12 am

papatel wrote:No worries! It's also on this list because of it's great access to the Atlanta market. Any other opinions out there? Would a better question have been: am I a moron if I don't go to Duke?

To me it's UGA vs. Vandy vs. Duke. If you're debt averse and want PI then UGA may actually be a stronger option for you. Duke and Vandy's LRAP programs aren't very strong, so you could be saddled with a fair amount of debt when you get out. Obviously, Vandy and Duke are going to give you better clerkship opportunities than UGA.

papatel

Postby papatel » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 am

thickfreakness wrote:
papatel wrote:No worries! It's also on this list because of it's great access to the Atlanta market. Any other opinions out there? Would a better question have been: am I a moron if I don't go to Duke?

To me it's UGA vs. Vandy vs. Duke. If you're debt averse and want PI then UGA may actually be a stronger option for you. Duke and Vandy's LRAP programs aren't very strong, so you could be saddled with a fair amount of debt when you get out. Obviously, Vandy and Duke are going to give you better clerkship opportunities than UGA.

True. Why not Emory? 66g covers tuition, although it would come with a high COL.

And to you Vandy voters: Explain. (Please :lol: )

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 am

papatel wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

True. Why not Emory? 66g covers tuition, although it would come with a high COL.

If you want to work in Atlanta afterwards Emory may be invaluable as far as its location goes, being able to work during the year doing PI work would be highly beneficial. I am after Atlanta too and its UGA (resident) or Emory if they come in with some money.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:02 am

papatel wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

66K covers about half of Emory's tuition. You'd still be on the hook for the other half and facing a higher COL than Athens. Vanderbilt gave you a better offer so there's no way I think you should take Emory over Vanderbilt. The appeal of UGA is that you could get out of school with almost no debt.

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 pm

If you really want the shot to clerk, especially at the Art. III level, you should go to Duke. BTW, 54,000 off of a T10 law school is nothing to sneeze at.

If you want the option of clerking and the access to the "best" PI jobs, you should probably take Duke. A Duke degree, IMO, is definitely worth $18k more than a Vandy degree. And, you never know, you could change your mind and decide you want to work in a firm or be somewhere other than Atlanta. Then you'd be REALLY glad you were at Duke.

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:47 pm

It's duke? Btw congrats on your offers they are all great schools bit I still think you will get the biggest bang for your buck at duke.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:51 pm

If you want a clerkship, Duke for slightly more beats out the next best option, Vanderbilt. As much as I love Vandy, Duke is worth the extra money. I love UGA, too, but Duke will give you the best shot at a clerkship.

timelovesahero

Postby timelovesahero » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 pm

for what it's worth, at all the UGA visits and receptions I've been to, they have proudly proclaimed that they have had more graduates doing clerkships with the U.S. Supreme Court in the past 5 years than any other school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:56 pm

timelovesahero wrote:for what it's worth, at all the UGA visits and receptions I've been to, they have proudly proclaimed that they have had more graduates doing clerkships with the U.S. Supreme Court in the past 5 years than any other school.

That's impressive, but 4 clerks out of the last 5 years still isn't very good odds. Also keep in mind that the clerks were 1999, 2005, 2006, and 2008 grads, so it's really more like 4 clerks over 10 classes of student. At 240 a class, that's like 4/2400, or .17% of grads obtaining Supreme Court clerkships. Even at first in the class, these are not odds to go about making decisions by.

papatel

Postby papatel » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Hmm thanks for all the help guys! I think it's between UGA, Vandy, and Duke. And seeing as how I'm stillll unsure, anyone else out there want to pitch in their two cents? Really, anything is appreciated

Return to “Choosing a Law School”