Chicago-Kent ($$) or try again next cycle

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do (read the passage before choosing please thanks)

Kent 20k/year
6
67%
Try again next cycle
3
33%
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Chicago-Kent ($$) or try again next cycle

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:04 pm

My current stats are 3.77/161

I am currently a coin flip at my top choice University of Washington, but if that ends up unfavorable I am left with this dilemma...$20k/year from Kent or just trying again next cycle.

Kent was my third choice in this cycle. They are basically cutting the price of tuition in half and in addition I can commute from my current home. They are a solid school with good career prospects in Chicago. If I don't like it there I suppose I can try to transfer to a better school. Also, their offer is appealing since I haven't been able to get ANY job since I graduated college in 2009.

However, I felt I sold myself far too short in this cycle. I applied relatively late to most of my top choices (went complete around early-mid December), I could have done many improvements on my personal statements (not being coy about the adversity I overcame, catering each PS specifically toward each school), and also I feel that I could certainly get at least a two or three point improvement on my LSAT (two sets of logic games threw my rhythm off a bit, I understood the experimental section better). In addition, I have a better idea of what I want in a law school as compared to when I first initially applied back in November. Nor did I give myself a shot at super reaches, reaches, and highly ranked target schools as I mainly fixated on location.

Constructive input would be much appreciated.

User avatar
voice of reason
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

Re: Chicago-Kent ($$) or try again next cycle

Postby voice of reason » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:15 pm

It's not clear what role location plays for you. Are you thinking you'll get into UIUC or Notre Dame if you try again? That might happen if you raise your LSAT.

Suppose the choice is between Kent at half price or UIUC or ND at sticker. Then what? If you'd choose UIUC/ND at sticker over Kent with the scholarship, then it could be worth trying again.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Chicago-Kent ($$) or try again next cycle

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:56 pm

voice of reason wrote:It's not clear what role location plays for you. Are you thinking you'll get into UIUC or Notre Dame if you try again? That might happen if you raise your LSAT.

Suppose the choice is between Kent at half price or UIUC or ND at sticker. Then what? If you'd choose UIUC/ND at sticker over Kent with the scholarship, then it could be worth trying again.


Seattle and Chicago are the places I would love to practice (with preference to Seattle). I applied to the top schools in Seattle followed by schools in Chicago ranked with or below Seattle U that were in the T2. At the time, I felt I can get a good education at any T1 or T2. I applied to U of Washington, Seattle U (waitlisted..maybe YP), and Chicago-Kent; with extra applications to DePaul, Loyola, and St. Louis U when I panicked about the Seattle U waitlisting.

If I got like a 164 or something like that, I would still apply to U of Washington as it is one of my top choices. I would still apply Seattle, Kent, DePaul, and Loyola hoping for some primo scholarships. However, I would also try some mega reaches like Northwestern and Berkeley to see what happens (NU may be local, but my background is better suited for and could get me a miracle flyer at Berkeley). I would aim for some higher ranked ballpark schools like UIUC, Iowa, and American as well.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest