Looking for a quick piece of advice

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
horriblegb

Looking for a quick piece of advice

Postby horriblegb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:42 pm

So, pending one more schools decision, and my visits, I am thinking of attending Penn State (20k a year) over Villanova (15k a year), American (no money) and Cardozo (no money). I just wanted to get a feel if this is an ok decision. i know Penn State is the lowest ranked out of all of these schools, but I don't really want to pay sticker price, especially at expensive schools. I do not know where I want to practice law, and I have someone coming with me who will be attending undergrad. Are the rankings really that important at this level, or am i making an insane decision?

thanks to anyone who takes the time!

subgdubb

Re: Looking for a quick piece of advice

Postby subgdubb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:56 pm

I would highly recommend waiting a year, retaking, and applying to Harvard. That is the only school worth paying for. I would only go to Yale on a full ride, and even then I would probably pick Harvard. If I only got into Stanford it would be the end of my life as I know it! I only accept the best of the East Coast elite. California just does not cut it.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Ha ha ha

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:04 pm

horriblegb wrote:Ha ha ha

don't laugh at that, it was not funny at all... I was going to give you advice, but not after you laughed at that

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 pm

a failed attempt at sarcasm on my part?

neskerdoo

Postby neskerdoo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:08 pm

horriblegb wrote:a failed attempt at sarcasm on my part?

that would be better

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:11 pm

which it was :D obviously i should have clarified, I am not HYS material

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:19 pm

The USNWR rank differences between these schools don't matter very much, but their locations will have a large effect on where you will be able to find work and the cost differences will have a potentially large effect on your quality of life after graduation.

Villanova has a better job placement record than Penn State. See the link in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37679 For a small difference in price, I would go to Villanova over Penn State.

One other trivial thing to consider: if you go to Villanova, you'll be within range of Delaware for beer runs. At Penn State, there is no store within 75 miles that will sell you a 6 pack of beer.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 pm

voice of reason wrote:The USNWR rank differences between these schools don't matter very much, but their locations will have a large effect on where you will be able to find work and the cost differences will have a potentially large effect on your quality of life after graduation.

Villanova has a better job placement record than Penn State. See the link in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37679 For a small difference in price, I would go to Villanova over Penn State.

One other trivial thing to consider: if you go to Villanova, you'll be within range of Delaware for beer runs. At Penn State, there is no store within 75 miles that will sell you a 6 pack of beer.

Thank you, it is surprising how much beer can make you think :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”