IU-B($$$$) v. W & M ($$) v. top20 (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should Baby go?

Indiana-Bloomington- $0, (Full Tuition Scholarship)
52%
W&M, ~20k a year (Grad Fellowship, tryin to get more $$$)
13%
Duke - Sticker (If I get in)
26%
Vanderbilt - Sticker (If I get in)
9%

Total votes: 23

thatdisappoints

IU-B($$$$) v. W & M ($$) v. top20 (sticker)

Postby thatdisappoints » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:37 pm

So it is getting close to decision time, and well I well I figured I should get some anonymous advice from strangers on the internet about the most important decision of my life up to this point....

I'm originally from the Midwest, live in DC now, and can see myself practicing in either region (albeit in a city in the midwest, so Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis) a few years from now. Although DC is my preferred place to work. I'm not sure exactly what I want to practice, although my interests at this point lie with employment/labor law and constitutional law. This of course is probably going to change once I'm in school. BigLaw would be great if I can get the grades, but well I am hardly dead set on it, especially if I leave school without significant debt. Any tuition (and at least some living expenses) will be paid through loans...so where should I choose?

I'm currently on the waitlists at Vanderbilt and Duke, but my thoughts on the matter are that I will go to one of them if I get off those waitlists by June 30th. Does the internet agree?

Aberzombie1892

Re: IU-B($$$$) v. W & M ($$) v. top20 (sticker)

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:53 pm

thatdisappoints wrote:So it is getting close to decision time, and well I well I figured I should get some anonymous advice from strangers on the internet about the most important decision of my life up to this point....

I'm originally from the Midwest, live in DC now, and can see myself practicing in either region (albeit in a city in the midwest, so Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis) a few years from now. Although DC is my preferred place to work. I'm not sure exactly what I want to practice, although my interests at this point lie with employment/labor law and constitutional law. This of course is probably going to change once I'm in school. BigLaw would be great if I can get the grades, but well I am hardly dead set on it, especially if I leave school without significant debt. Any tuition (and at least some living expenses) will be paid through loans...so where should I choose?

I'm currently on the waitlists at Vanderbilt and Duke, but my thoughts on the matter are that I will go to one of them if I get off those waitlists by June 30th. Does the internet agree?

If you would be happy practicing in Indiana, the IUB by far.

If not, then you should probably take on a little debt so you would be able to practice where you want to.

You already have connections to DC (from living there), so William and Mary's sole selling point (for you) is the scholarship offer.

It's tough. I couldn't imagine someone's main options would be IUB (FULL), William and Mary (half?), or waitlists at Vanderbilt and Duke.

If you are not debt adverse and are not set on practicing in Indiana, this:

Duke/Vanderbilt (your connections to DC would make the difference between these two negligible for getting you back there)
William and Mary
IUB

If you are debt adverse and are not set on practicing in Indiana, this:

William and Mary
Duke/Vanderbilt
IUB

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:40 pm

If Midwest, IUB $$$$ > Duke > Vandy > William and Mary $$

If not Midwest, Duke > Vandy > IUB $$$$ > William and Mary $$

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:51 pm

I am beginning to rethink my beliefs on money, ranking and prestige. I think that when the disparities between schools are not too glaring, go for the money. In this economy, it is more important to escape with your shirt. I also believe that, if a significant number of students begin to take on this philosophy, we could drive the cost of legal ed doen, if only slightly. No longer assured that they would land certain students, top schools would be forced to lower their tuition. This, of course could have a trickle-down effect on the prices at lower ranked, perceivably less prestigious, or lesser-known schools. This is where we can have some control. But the entire culture of the application process would have to change from the applicants' end. I say, go where you get the most money, unless you're talking full scholarship at Syracuse versus sticker at Duke or something.

thatdisappoints

Postby thatdisappoints » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:40 pm

I also believe that, if a significant number of students begin to take on this philosophy, we could drive the cost of legal ed doen, if only slightly.

Yeah, that would be great, but well I think we're dealing with a massive prisoner's dilemma here and well not sure I can be a sacrificial lamb for the cause.

It's tough. I couldn't imagine someone's main options would be IUB (FULL), William and Mary (half?), or waitlists at Vanderbilt and Duke.

Tell me about it. Thinking it over, I'm leaning towards IU-B (if w&m can't come through with anything close to full-tuition), but well getting off a waitlist changes things and this prestige whore would move to Durham/Nashville in a heartbeat.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”