the job prospects will get better in 3yrs right?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dsa1

the job prospects will get better in 3yrs right?

Postby dsa1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Just a bit scary that an investment of near or more $200K might just be an added stress instead on increasing quality of life. (Also depressing websites regarding unhappy lawyers don't help either)

miamiman

Re: the job prospects will get better in 3yrs right?

Postby miamiman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:46 pm

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Sigh. I sure hope so. The debt really is terrifying.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:04 am

We should know by 2012. If things are looking bad, the world will end in December anyway, so no worries.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:06 am

LOLZ @ The economy recovering...

FYI: IBR. You'll be fine. Big Brother has your back (soul).
Last edited by erniesto on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:07 am

Lonagan wrote:We should know by 2012. If things are looking bad, the world will end in December anyway, so no worries.

TITCR.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:27 am

Why wouldn't it be?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:30 am

I really love the law and want to be a clerk or lawyer (or both in that order preferably). The way I see it the job itself is QOL. I mean sure, making 70k with massive student debt I'll have to live like average Joe with a 30k job....but I'm gonna love my job.

A lot of people on this site focus on the $$$ only, but keep in mind you will spend most of your life working...doing a job you enjoy is as important if not more, than what you do with the $$$ you earn in the free time.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:39 am

All things go in cycles. In three years the market should be better. I'm not sure that gurantees anyone any job but I'm confident the market will be better, if the world doesn't end that is.

Best thing to do is go to a school that offers you realistic chances at the type of job you want after law school and do so while trying to limit student debt as much as you can. I know most of my free time will revolve around workouts and the occassional video game/movie/good book for the three years so that I limit as much as I can the non necessary spending.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:16 am

even if the job market gets better people should still rmbr that taking out sticker for a TTT is never a good idea.

I think that if people kept thinking about LS as a risk it would be better in the long run. Maybe the Florida Coastals of this world would go away (wishful thinking I know).

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:17 am

no one really knows when this cycle will turnaround. keep in mind, even if things are better in 2012/2013, unless thing improve by this fall, this c/o 2012 is still out of luck.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:38 am

gwuorbust wrote:even if the job market gets better people should still rmbr that taking out sticker for a TTT is never a good idea.

I think that if people kept thinking about LS as a risk it would be better in the long run. Maybe the Florida Coastals of this world would go away (wishful thinking I know).

I understand that some climatologists predict this to be inevitable.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:even if the job market gets better people should still rmbr that taking out sticker for a TTT is never a good idea.

I understand that some climatologists predict this to be inevitable.

maybe Cooley should relocate to the Florida Keys! :P

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:56 pm

America is screwed. I saw a news report that said that the "real" unemployment rate is 16.8%...

cardnal124

Postby cardnal124 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:02 pm

irishman86 wrote:America is screwed. I saw a news report that said that the "real" unemployment rate is 16.8%...

Ya, we're fucked for good. Just like in the great depression when the stated unemployment rate was 25%, so probably actual unemployment in the 30%'s. Never quite were the same after that one

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:22 pm

irishman86 wrote:America is screwed. I saw a news report that said that the "real" unemployment rate is 16.8%...

According to a report I read in entrepreneur the unemployed and underemployment rate for people under 25 is about 50%.

dsa1

Postby dsa1 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:25 pm

might as well go to law school now then.

ugh.. :evil:

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:31 pm

dsa1 wrote:might as well go to law school now then.

Quite correct. A large part of the cost of law school is foregone earnings. If there are none to be had, then law school is cheaper than it would be during a hot economy. If you are in law school while everyone else is being eaten alive by the economy monster, and then when you graduate things are better, you are the big winner of the economic cycle. On the off chance the economy never comes back, everyone is screwed, not just the people with law school debt.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Lonagan wrote:
dsa1 wrote:might as well go to law school now then.

Quite correct. A large part of the cost of law school is foregone earnings. If there are none to be had, then law school is cheaper than it would be during a hot economy. If you are in law school while everyone else is being eaten alive by the economy monster, and then when you graduate things are better, you are the big winner of the economic cycle. On the off chance the economy never comes back, everyone is screwed, not just the people with law school debt.

Yes, opportunity costs decrease, but law school admissions also become more competitive as more people apply thus decreasing the value of the law school investment (presumably, you will go to a lower ranked school and/or get less scholarship money). I do suspect that the former outweighs the latter; that isn't necessarily the case though.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:42 pm

cardnal124 wrote:

Ya, we're fucked for good. Just like in the great depression when the stated unemployment rate was 25%, so probably actual unemployment in the 30%'s. Never quite were the same after that one

lolerz. i like how you said America is "fucked for good" in one sentence then in the next quote a time when our economy was much worse yet we are still around. We survived and in fact have done quite well for ourselves in America since the Great Depression.

CaptainSnuggleBunny

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Doritos wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:

lolerz. i like how you said America is "fucked for good" in one sentence then in the next quote a time when our economy was much worse yet we are still around. We survived and in fact have done quite well for ourselves in America since the Great Depression.

Further evidence that we need to introduce some sort of sarcasm indicating punctuation. Maybe the interrobang?

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Lonagan wrote:If you are in law school while everyone else is being eaten alive by the economy monster, and then when you graduate things are better, you are the big winner of the economic cycle. On the off chance the economy never comes back, everyone is screwed, not just the people with law school debt.

Not really...at least most people not going to law school don't have to worry about $100K+ in debt. If the economy doesn't recover quickly, then yes, many people are screwed, but law students are even more screwed. The problem is that many law school applicants absolutely refuse to accept that they might not place in the top of their class (to get a job to pay off their loans). In their minds, they will simply weather the economic storm by hiding out in law school. Too bad there is already a glut of other lawyers/law students who can't find work and will clog up the system for some time.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:05 pm

Yeah, I am probably a bit too rosy on the downside of having JD debt in a permanently depressed economy. That is probably because I am not very afraid about economic recovery. It is also worth noting that IBR should keep law school debt from being crippling.

MTal

Postby MTal » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:06 pm

Cupidity wrote:I mean sure, making 70k with massive student debt I'll have to live like average Joe with a 30k job....but I'm gonna love my job.

How can you possible know this? You've never been a lawyer...

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:12 pm

CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote:
Doritos wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:

Further evidence that we need to introduce some sort of sarcasm indicating punctuation. Maybe the interrobang?

Its called the SarcMark. Its gonna be big.
--LinkRemoved--

Return to “Choosing a Law School”