Rutgers-Camden vs. Seton Hall

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dshirs32

Rutgers-Camden vs. Seton Hall

Postby dshirs32 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Hey everyone, I was recently accepted at Rutgers-Camden, and am waiting to hear from Seton Hall. They appear to be similar in every aspect ranging from undesirable location to employment prospects to ranking; though, I would say that Rutgers being so close to Philadelphia gives it an edge up. Any thoughts?

lovaholic

Re: Rutgers-Camden vs. Seton Hall

Postby lovaholic » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:50 pm

I am from New Jersey and also applied to SHU law (part time). I would recommend Rutgers over SHU ANY day. The quality of the school backing RU-Law cannot even be compared to SHU. The RU networks in NJ dominate SHU.

I myself would not pay sticker price for SHU. I decided to apply part time to avoid the high cost and would probably transfer to one of the RU law schools.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Do you want to work in NJ, Philly, or NYC? Rutgers Camden would be your clear best option for the first two possibilities. Seton Hall is geographically closer to NYC but I'm not convinced it's much better at Big Apple placement .

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:55 pm

i'm in the same boat and would like to hear some opinions. i like RU, but seton hall is flushed with scholarship money and is very generous in that regard which can make it a tough choice.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:59 pm

I had a similar dilemma last cycle (Rutgers Newark at sticker and Seton Hall $20k/yr). Seton Hall is fairly generous, but you should keep in mind that their tuition is also much more expensive. When it comes down to total cost of attendance, there wasn't much of a difference for me. If forced to make a choice, I would've gone with Rutgers for the brand name. I chose to wait and reapply with a stronger app.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 pm

JOThompson wrote:I had a similar dilemma last cycle (Rutgers Newark at sticker and Seton Hall $20k/yr). Seton Hall is fairly generous, but you should keep in mind that their tuition is also much more expensive. When it comes down to total cost of attendance, there wasn't much of a difference for me. If forced to make a choice, I would've gone with Rutgers for the brand name. I chose to wait and reapply with a stronger app.

For some reason, Rutgers Newark > Rutgers Camden.

So your choice was actually easier than the one the OP is facing.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I had a similar dilemma last cycle (Rutgers Newark at sticker and Seton Hall $20k/yr). Seton Hall is fairly generous, but you should keep in mind that their tuition is also much more expensive. When it comes down to total cost of attendance, there wasn't much of a difference for me. If forced to make a choice, I would've gone with Rutgers for the brand name. I chose to wait and reapply with a stronger app.

For some reason, Rutgers Newark > Rutgers Camden.

So your choice was actually easier than the one the OP is facing.

That's true. If I'd had a Rutgers Camden acceptance in hand I still think I would've gone with it over Seton Hall, unless I was deadset on working in NYC (and I'm not sure Seton Hall does that much better there anyways?).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:09 pm

Rutgers-Camden: Philly/South Jersey
Seton Hall: North Jersey

OP, if you don't care where you live/work, go to whichever is cheaper. I'd personally pick Camden, but that's me.

dshirs32

Postby dshirs32 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:11 am

Thanks for the responses. I think it's going to come down to either Rutgers-Camden or Rutgers-Newark (still haven't heard from them however).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”