someone help me!!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sookie99

someone help me!!!!

Postby sookie99 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 pm

so this is my deal:

WL @ Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, and Fordham
In @ Villanova ($25k/yr), UMiami ($20k/yr), Brooklyn ($11.5k/yr), Cardozo, Loyola Marymount

i live in LA but am from Miami, and really just want a degree that would travel well because I don't know where I want to live for the rest of my life yet. notre dame & vanderbilt are my only options for that so far, and both are waitlists. my questions are:

1. if i'm getting waitlisted at notre dame & vanderbilt (without the "Why X" statements and 0 legal experience), would it be worth it to just apply next cycle (if i don't get in off the waitlists)?? maybe ED at one of them, submit my apps ASAP, include relevant/new work experience/extra essays

2. do i have a better chance at getting off the waitlist at notre dame or vanderbilt?? or do you guys think i have roughly the same shot at both? i'm deciding which school to tell i would definitely go if admitted off the waitlist. i love both, have a slight preference for vanderbilt...but really would just be happy to get off either waitlist

thanks everyone!! btw, i have a 3.0/163 & am a non-URM hispanic

BigFatPanda

Re: someone help me!!!!

Postby BigFatPanda » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:41 pm

U should watch "legally blonde" and draw inspiration from Elle.

Because of your GPA/LSAT combo, and you are non-URM hispanic, the only way to go to Vanderbilt or Notre Dame is to retake and apply ED next year;

or you could donate $1 million to Notre Dame and get a building name after you. I heard that would instantly get you in (base on "The Price of Admission" by Daniel Golden, Chapter 4, "Enduring Legacies" Notre Dame's Other Tradition)

sookie99

Re: someone help me!!!!

Postby sookie99 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 pm

hahaha well hopefully that's not the case

i have a very interesting/unique personal story (i know a lot of people say that, but it's true!), so obviously in my case they were looking beyond the numbers. i visited notre dame law and spoke personally with the assistant director of admissions, who assured me their waitlist is not a "soft reject" and they really do enroll people on their waitlists (which isn't ranked). i haven't visited vanderbilt yet, so i am not as familiar with their waitlist (was hoping to get some more info about that from TLSers).

a retake is definitely an option...i was averaging 162-168 on practice exams, but it would really suck to get a lower score..

Return to “Choosing a Law School”