Fordham vs. BLS($$$) w/ science background + exp

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tesoro

Fordham vs. BLS($$$) w/ science background + exp

Postby tesoro » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:00 pm

I was pretty sold on paying sticker until i saw $30k from Brooklyn come in the mail yesterday. I'm still leaning toward Fordham, but I'm looking for advice from anyone in the IP industry. In either of these scenarios I would be going part-time and working full-time in patents throughout.

I graduated cum laude with a BS in electrical engineering from an OK private school (50-75), and I have tons of experience in the patents industry. The goal is patent litigation.

I've been told that where you go to law school matters less when you're a) looking to do patent work, and b) have relevant experience/background. How true is this? I guess the big question that I'm looking to get answered would be, exactly how much of a disadvantage would graduating median at BLS be over graduating median at Fordham? Going to BLS would allow me to not only graduate debt free, but with a really healthy savings account. Going to Fordham I would graduate debt free but with little else, since my salary would go directly into Fordham's coffers. I'm not averse to paying sticker at Fordham, but I'm only willing to do so if the advantage is clear and present.

Thanks for your advice-

Great Satchmo

Re: Fordham vs. BLS($$$) w/ science background + exp

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:37 pm

tesoro wrote:I was pretty sold on paying sticker until i saw $30k from Brooklyn come in the mail yesterday. I'm still leaning toward Fordham, but I'm looking for advice from anyone in the IP industry. In either of these scenarios I would be going part-time and working full-time in patents throughout.

I graduated cum laude with a BS in electrical engineering from an OK private school (50-75), and I have tons of experience in the patents industry. The goal is patent litigation.

I've been told that where you go to law school matters less when you're a) looking to do patent work, and b) have relevant experience/background. How true is this? I guess the big question that I'm looking to get answered would be, exactly how much of a disadvantage would graduating median at BLS be over graduating median at Fordham? Going to BLS would allow me to not only graduate debt free, but with a really healthy savings account. Going to Fordham I would graduate debt free but with little else, since my salary would go directly into Fordham's coffers. I'm not averse to paying sticker at Fordham, but I'm only willing to do so if the advantage is clear and present.

Thanks for your advice-

You'll make enough to support your cost of living and pay part-time tuition at Fordham?

If so, I'd go that route. Savings would be nice, but if you aren't going into debt, it may be worth the increase in possible opportunities you'd get at Fordham.

tesoro

Re: Fordham vs. BLS($$$) w/ science background + exp

Postby tesoro » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
tesoro wrote:I was pretty sold on paying sticker until i saw $30k from Brooklyn come in the mail yesterday. I'm still leaning toward Fordham, but I'm looking for advice from anyone in the IP industry. In either of these scenarios I would be going part-time and working full-time in patents throughout.

Thanks for your advice-

You'll make enough to support your cost of living and pay part-time tuition at Fordham?

If so, I'd go that route. Savings would be nice, but if you aren't going into debt, it may be worth the increase in possible opportunities you'd get at Fordham.

Yeah I should be able to fully support myself sans loans, though money will be very tight during 1L and half of 2L. Agreed that it may be worth it, hence the leaning toward Fordham. I'm trying to assess here the expected worth of the extra opportunities Fordham offers, though, and weigh them against the comfort of owning an extra $30k in cash a year at BLS, given the rumors about school name/rank mattering less for seasoned IP professionals. Anyone have any anecdotes for me?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”