MSU vs. Wayne State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lucidoli

New

MSU vs. Wayne State

Post by lucidoli » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Any thoughts? I have been accepted to both schools. I will be graduating MSU from the James Madison College this year. I don't know if I should stay 3 more years or if Wayne State is a better choice. MSU offered me 1/2 to full tuition if I achieve a 3.6 after my first year. I haven't heard about any merit scholarships from Wayne yet. I also was accepted at U of D Mercy and received the Dean's Scholarship there which is approx $60,000 total after 3 years. I don't know what to do?! I know U of D is ranked lower, but the money is tempting. I am not sure if it would be worth it in the end if I went to Wayne or MSU and decline the money? I would appreciate any advice! Thanks! :D

Lomax

Bronze

Re: MSU vs. Wayne State

Post by Lomax » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:03 am

I am not familiar with lower-ranked Michigan schools, but in case nobody who is posts a response, here's something: Banking on the MSU scholarship is very risky. All of your choices are less than desirable; no matter which school you choose, you'll be headed into one of the worst regional economies in the country with a law degree from an unranked school. I almost want to tell you to simply go with the cheapest option, because you seem to be almost at the point of going to law school for no other reason than to gain the right to practice law. You need to objectively look at whether or not graduating from one of the higher-ranked schools is going to significantly increase your chances of securing a decent job; if not, U of D Mercy might be the best option.

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Lomax wrote:I am not familiar with lower-ranked Michigan schools, but in case nobody who is posts a response, here's something: Banking on the MSU scholarship is very risky. All of your choices are less than desirable; no matter which school you choose, you'll be headed into one of the worst regional economies in the country with a law degree from an unranked school. I almost want to tell you to simply go with the cheapest option, because you seem to be almost at the point of going to law school for no other reason than to gain the right to practice law. You need to objectively look at whether or not graduating from one of the higher-ranked schools is going to significantly increase your chances of securing a decent job; if not, U of D Mercy might be the best option.
I wholeheartedly agree with Lomax. While I am not a proponent of the naysaying "T-14 or Bust" TLS mentality, I do believe in being practical. Given your uncertainty on the issue, I'd be willing to bet that you don't have strong family connections in the law in Michigan, which is what I would have originally though had it not been for that. My sister and brother in law live in that general area, and in his words, "Michigan's economy is absolutely in shambles." There are some other strong prospects in that area that you could probably get in to if you wanted to stay in the midwest, but maintaining a 3.6 in law school is, from what I have unanimously heard, ridiculously hard and you can't bank on it.

One coul imagine that Detroit's economy is super-rough right now, and so employment may be hard to come by. Just weigh all of you choices before making any decisonis, though in the end, just do what you feel is right. I am considering MSU as well, but for personal reasons. I wish you the best of luck.

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm pretty sure brucebarr will have some valid insight to add here, he seems very knowledgeable in regards to Michigan schools...

I toured both schools. I've always liked Wayne State, I was accepted there in high school but didn't go. The tour of WSU was really informal but very insightful and they actually have a pretty cool facility. I don't know much about UDM. I don't know if I would take a full scholly there anyway. I talked to a guy who said that he knew a girl who had numerous job offers out of there, but I'm sure she was at least top 5% of her class because that school is obviously a t4. I talked to a 3L who shrugged her shoulders when I asked how the job prospects were out of Wayne...I'm not sure they give away very much money either. It's really hard to speculate though; I personally know a guy who graduated from Cooley in 2003 and he's making six figures right now. You guys can call flame all you want, I'm not even close to kidding.

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:47 pm

And if you don't mind, what are your numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:34 am

pattymac wrote:I personally know a guy who graduated from Cooley in 2003 and he's making six figures right now. You guys can call flame all you want, I'm not even close to kidding.
:lol: That's awesome.

millerjd08

New

Post by millerjd08 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 am

I hope this helps. I am currently a 2L at MSU.

MSU is currently a T3 but came close to breaking the Top100 this year do to the amount of applicants, bar passage rates, improved staff...etc. Here is my advice.

If you plan on staying in the state of Michigan after you graduate, thereby weathering the economic storm, then at this very moment Wayne is probably your best choice. I say this because 1. Wayne is a public school and is therefore much cheaper than both MSU and UD and 2. Wayne has the strongest alumni connection in the state because graduates stay in the state, unlike UofM grads and alot of MSU grads.

If you plan on leaving the state after graduation at any point in time then MSU is going to be your best choice. MSU is definitely on the rise and will find its place in the near future among the rest of the BigTen schools, with an exception of Michigan, which would put them in the 30-50 range. MSU is a very young law school and has improved greatly even since I have been here but it does and will always carry the BigTen name, unlike Wayne State and UD.

I would not go to UD simply for the fact that they fight with Cooley for the lowest spot in Michigan. I realize this may be a little different, but I had a friend that turned down a full scholarship to Notre Dame to get nothing at Michigan. While the rank of the schools in the bottom tiers may not matter like T1-14, they do matter to some firms.

Therefore, I would conclude with saying, DO NOT go to MSU in hopes of maintaining a 3.6 for a scholarship. There is no formula that predicts the success rate for 1L's and there never will be. The quality of student at MSU gets better every year and you can't take the chance.

Good luck

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:28 pm

I am from Michigan. From my research it seems like Wayne dominates the Michigan market in comparison to MSU, UDM and Cooley.

Go to Wayne before MSU but if you get guaranteed money from MSU, go there. I would not go to UDM or Cooley.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Negotiate the scholly requirement. I did, back when I was interested in MSU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lucidoli

New

Post by lucidoli » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback. Seat deposits are due April 1. I think I am just going to reserve my seat at both MSU and Wayne for now and give the money back to U of D. I visited and I could not ever see myself going there. The building is in desperate need as well as the library. I was much more impressed with Wayne and MSU as whole. I negotiated scholarship money with MSU and they are willing to re-review my profile for merit money and they extended my seat deposit deadline to April 15. Although Wanye's tuition is approx $25,000 their total estimated cost of attendance is around $46,000 and MSU's is around $49,000 so it is really not that much of a difference which I find to be strikingly odd? I actually do have a strong background of lawyers in my family Peter J. Lucido, Partner of Lucido and Manzella, P.C. is my cousin and I'm also related to Sebastian Lucido who was appointed by governor Granholm as the Judge of the 41-B District Court so if anything I have huge name recognition in the state based on m last name and strong family network of lawyers which will help me after I graduate with my J.D.

As I am an undergrad from James Madison College at MSU I am somewhat impartial to State already. However, as many people have pointed it is fairly new and the alumni base isn't as strong. So judging by the small difference in tuition, I really can't make a decision! HELP!

detljgh

New

Post by detljgh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”