Full Time vs. Part Time and Difference in Employment

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alito08

Full Time vs. Part Time and Difference in Employment

Postby alito08 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:21 pm

I am considering attending the part time program at SMU over the full time. My wife will be working on her doctoral at the same time that I will be working on my JD, so it might be better to do part time program as a way to make our situation less stressful - we also have a little boy. I was wondering, though, if attending a part time program reduces my marketability when I look for a job. Anyone with insight on this would be helping me immensely. Thanks.

Great Satchmo

Re: Full Time vs. Part Time and Difference in Employment

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 pm

From what I've heard/read, there really isn't a difference beyond how much time or energy you put into networking.

I would assume that an employer would see that you took 4 years, however (maybe not?) and ask what you did with the part time you weren't in class...but I presume "raising my kid and working" would be a good enough answer.

alito08

Postby alito08 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:From what I've heard/read, there really isn't a difference beyond how much time or energy you put into networking.

I would assume that an employer would see that you took 4 years, however (maybe not?) and ask what you did with the part time you weren't in class...but I presume "raising my kid and working" would be a good enough answer.

So it doesn't make that much of a difference I'm assuming? I figure I can probably pick up an internship during the day and it will all work out, but I don't know if I'll be hindered in that regard either. From what you have said, though, the difference in my ability to land a good job should be minimal. Thanks for your input.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:47 pm

This is only what I've read, mind you. I don't know the real world experience, just what I've read here.

It seems like part time will work out a lot better for your family anyways, so it seems worth it to go that direction.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Plus, giving the economy 1 more year to stabilize and, hopefully, turn around probably couldn't hurt.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Plus the chance to work as a clerk in a law firm while you're in school could provide experience other student will not have. I would think this would make one much more marketable.

When looking through attorney profiles in my city, I see a lot of people that worked as a clerk at the firm before hired as an attorney.

I have a friend that went to catholic, did okay, and landed an awesome job. I think juggling his clerk gig was tough on him, but it sure paid off.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”