Negotiating financial aid

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hotdoglaw

Negotiating financial aid

Postby hotdoglaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Can someone post a sample email?

I was thinking of writing something like this...

Dear X,

I am writing to inform you that I have narrowed my choices down to a few law schools. All things equal, __________ would undoubtedly be my number one choice for both its strong reputation and ideal location. I have received a scholarship to ____________(similarly ranked school) in the amount of $30000 annually for my interest in health law and was wondering if ____________ offered similar sorts of scholarships for students with interest in the field of health law. As a married student, financing my legal education is of the utmost concern and while receiving ___________(similarly ranked school's generous scholarship) is appealing, receiving any amount of merit aid from _________ would let me comfortably put a deposit on my seat. I greatly look forward to pursuing my interest in health law at _____________ and look forward to meeting my classmates at the open house on _____________(date).

Sincerely,

Hotdoglaw

What do ya'll think?
FYI: 75th percentiles for this school: 3.64/162. My numbers: 3.44/165.
Also, I'm not sure that I won't be receiving a scholarship offer anyways, as I've heard people received them separately after the acceptance letter. How long should I wait?

sundevil77

Re: Negotiating financial aid

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 pm

hotdoglaw wrote:Can someone post a sample email?

I was thinking of writing something like this...

Dear X,

I am writing to inform you that I have narrowed my choices down to a few law schools. All things equal, __________ would undoubtedly be my number one choice for both its strong reputation and ideal location. I have received a scholarship to ____________(similarly ranked school) in the amount of $30000 annually for my interest in health law and was wondering if ____________ offered similar sorts of scholarships for students with interest in the field of health law. As a married student, financing my legal education is of the utmost concern and while receiving ___________(similarly ranked school's generous scholarship) is appealing, receiving any amount of merit aid from _________ would let me comfortably put a deposit on my seat. I greatly look forward to pursuing my interest in health law at _____________ and look forward to meeting my classmates at the open house on _____________(date).

Sincerely,

Hotdoglaw

What do ya'll think?
FYI: 75th percentiles for this school: 3.64/162. My numbers: 3.44/165.
Also, I'm not sure that I won't be receiving a scholarship offer anyways, as I've heard people received them separately after the acceptance letter. How long should I wait?

If this school really is your #1 choice, I think it sounds good. If you haven't already told them Why School X?, then I might include a couple more lines, or a paragraph, about why the school is a good fit (besides the general "you have a great reputation, etc.").

hotdoglaw

Postby hotdoglaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:43 pm

I hear ya. I haven't done a whole why X. Do you think I should avoid including the actual figure of the other school's offer? My concern is that, since X is a state school, they might be mislead to think I have the audacity to ask for an amount in that ball park...or do you think the "receiving any amount of merit aid" clears that up???

sapp

Postby sapp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:56 pm

I think it's great!
Its very polite, direct, and to the point without sounding entitled or rude.

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm

hotdoglaw wrote:I hear ya. I haven't done a whole why X. Do you think I should avoid including the actual figure of the other school's offer? My concern is that, since X is a state school, they might be mislead to think I have the audacity to ask for an amount in that ball park...or do you think the "receiving any amount of merit aid" clears that up???

I don't think putting the amount School X has offered you is too audacious at all. I think they'll appreciate knowing what kind of competing offer they're up against. Although, would you really attend with "any" amount of merit aid? If not, and the schools are considered peer institutions, then I might put something like "receiving a comparable merit aid offer."

hotdoglaw

Postby hotdoglaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Duh, a scholarship for $80 bucks wouldn't sway me, but check it: here are the schools' 3 year costs at sticker (roughly):

Comparable school: $115,000
This school: $83,000

On LSN it looks like some people with numbers similar to mine received a non-renewable 25k award. That means paying 58k total, still more than double the cost of attending the other school. I don't know if you can call that comparable, but it would probably be enough to sway me. I think you are right that I should include the other figure, but I don't think they'll "low ball" me if I write "any amount."

"Congratulation! Based on your outstanding credentials and diverse life experiences you have been selected to receive the prestigious McDonald's scholarship for the amount of $12.34 renewable annually assuming you maintain a GPA of 3.85."

And sapp, thanks for the enthusiastic thumbs up. :)

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:35 pm

hotdoglaw wrote:Duh, a scholarship for $80 bucks wouldn't sway me, but check it: here are the schools' 3 year costs at sticker (roughly):

Comparable school: $115,000
This school: $83,000

On LSN it looks like some people with numbers similar to mine received a non-renewable 25k award. That means paying 58k total, still more than double the cost of attending the other school. I don't know if you can call that comparable, but it would probably be enough to sway me. I think you are right that I should include the other figure, but I don't think they'll "low ball" me if I write "any amount."

"Congratulation! Based on your outstanding credentials and diverse life experiences you have been selected to receive the prestigious McDonald's scholarship for the amount of $12.34 renewable annually assuming you maintain a GPA of 3.85."

And sapp, thanks for the enthusiastic thumbs up. :)

:lol: btw I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything like that. It's just that I've read where a school like Georgetown gives offers of $5K to some students. Pretty terrible IMO. Post when you get an answer from them.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:42 pm

Is it possible to negotiate scholarship money if I only have a scholarship offer from one school?

hotdoglaw

Postby hotdoglaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Honestly, I think you can negotiate with no offer from any school. I think if you (1) tell them they're your first choice and (2) tell them money is holding you back, they'll make some sort of offer... But I don't have experience to bolster what I'm saying; it's just the impression I get.

hotdoglaw

Postby hotdoglaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:51 pm

5k?! Does that come with free shoe laces? :) That's crazy. I'll let you know what they say... First, I'm going to wait and see if they offer me some money anyways...I'm just not sure how long to wait or if I should just call and find out. I was only accepted like 4 or 5 days ago...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”