bc vs bu vs gw vs ut vs washu$ vs fordham$ vs usc vs usd$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
imisscollege

bc vs bu vs gw vs ut vs washu$ vs fordham$ vs usc vs usd$$$

Postby imisscollege » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 pm

okay one more time i'm deciding between

bc
bu
gw
ut
wash u w/ 20 grand/yr
fordham w/ 10 grand/yr
usc
usd w/ pretty much a full ride

I grew up and went to school in boston and i think i probably eventually want to practice there or DC in some sort of govt position. I am fairly sure I want to summer in boston at least in the beginning but I would really like to go to LS somewhere else. I don't want to do firm stuff. I want to do PI DA's office stuff and eventually get into some sort of govt work down the line. I see as a gw advantage that you can have govt work for credit during academic year, ut seems good because of its prestig rep, clerkship placement, and everybody loves austin but no way would I want to summer there. I also like southern california but havent spent enough time there to know that i wanna practice there.

I like BC better than BU i think just in terms of the feel of the school but it literally would be going to school in my backyard. Advantages include that my family and friends are around.

If I had to say what i'm thinking now, I'd say BC/UT and then maybe GW as another contender. I know these schools are vastly different so i would love people's thoughts.

tram988

Re: bc vs bu vs gw vs ut vs washu$ vs fordham$ vs usc vs usd$$$

Postby tram988 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:02 pm

imisscollege wrote:okay one more time i'm deciding between

bc
bu
gw
ut
wash u w/ 20 grand/yr
fordham w/ 10 grand/yr
usc

I grew up and went to school in boston and i think i probably eventually want to practice there or DC in some sort of govt position. I am fairly sure I want to summer in boston at least in the beginning but I would really like to go to LS somewhere else. I don't want to do firm stuff. I want to do PI DA's office stuff and eventually get into some sort of govt work down the line. I see as a gw advantage that you can have govt work for credit during academic year, ut seems good because of its prestig rep, clerkship placement, and everybody loves austin but no way would I want to summer there. I also like southern california but havent spent enough time there to know that i wanna practice there.

I like BC better than BU i think just in terms of the feel of the school but it literally would be going to school in my backyard. Advantages include that my family and friends are around.

If I had to say what i'm thinking now, I'd say BC/UT and then maybe GW as another contender. I know these schools are vastly different so i would love people's thoughts.

I think Fordham even with 10k is expensive (unless you're dying for NYC biglaw.) You know I'm a BC guy but either work well in Boston. If I had all those choices I'd still take one of BU/BC-- for me, BC

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:13 pm

If you are interested in Boston long term I think you can eliminate the botton schools and consider bc, bu, gw, ut, which are all at sticker. I hate to say it but if you want to end up in Boston (and can live at home, cheap!) you would have to be sort of crazy to pass on BU or BC. See if you can get money out of both based on the other offers. GW and Forham have all of the expense and none of the return of the Boston schools. It seems insane to pay that much more just to live elsewhere for three years. If you really want something different go to UT and hope personal connections can land you summer and long term work in Boston.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:19 pm

bc
bu
gw
ut
wash u w/ 20 grand/yr
fordham w/ 10 grand/yr
usc

Out of the above, and with your goals, I'd knock out Fordham/USC and USD. WashU with $ is tempting, but isn't strong in the markets you wanna be in. BU/BC are good for Boston and BU in particular has a lot of fed. gov pull.

Out of the list UT is the best school - but if you don't see yourself working in TX, its a hard sell...

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Blindmelon wrote:bc
bu
gw
ut
wash u w/ 20 grand/yr
fordham w/ 10 grand/yr
usc

Out of the above, and with your goals, I'd knock out Fordham/USC and USD. WashU with $ is tempting, but isn't strong in the markets you wanna be in. BU/BC are good for Boston and BU in particular has a lot of fed. gov pull.

Out of the list UT is the best school - but if you don't see yourself working in TX, its a hard sell...

Why does BU in particular have better fed government pull? Aren't both of the current MA U.S. Senators from BC Law? Also, it seems BC has more federal clerkships, at least in 2008 (the most recent data): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513

Am I mistaken?

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:57 pm

tram988 wrote:
bu
gw
ut
wash u w/ 20 grand/yr
fordham w/ 10 grand/yr
usc

Why does BU in particular have better fed government pull? Aren't both of the current MA U.S. Senators from BC Law? Also, it seems BC has more federal clerkships, at least in 2008 (the most recent data): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513

Am I mistaken?

thanks all for the advice. i got this (above) vibe also

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:03 pm

tram988 wrote:
bu
gw
ut
wash u w/ 20 grand/yr
fordham w/ 10 grand/yr
usc

Am I mistaken?

Clerkships, yes, BC does place more, but when people say gov. work they usually mean federal gov. bureaucracy in which BU does have more placement - current Sec. of Commerce, recent former Sec. of Defense, high level gov. officials throughout. This is something placement #s don't capture. Each year we place a solid amount into FTC/SEC/Commerce/HHS, etc. I have actual numbers, but I'm too lazy to go through the recent alumni contact list and count. Theres a lot.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 pm

jks289 wrote:If you are interested in Boston long term I think you can eliminate the botton schools and consider bc, bu, gw, ut, which are all at sticker. I hate to say it but if you want to end up in Boston (and can live at home, cheap!) you would have to be sort of crazy to pass on BU or BC. See if you can get money out of both based on the other offers. GW and Forham have all of the expense and none of the return of the Boston schools. It seems insane to pay that much more just to live elsewhere for three years. If you really want something different go to UT and hope personal connections can land you summer and long term work in Boston.

how difficult do you think this would be

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
tram988 wrote:
bu
gw
ut
wash u w/ 20 grand/yr
fordham w/ 10 grand/yr
usc

Am I mistaken?

Clerkships, yes, BC does place more, but when people say gov. work they usually mean federal gov. bureaucracy in which BU does have more placement - current Sec. of Commerce, recent former Sec. of Defense, high level gov. officials throughout. This is something placement #s don't capture. Each year we place a solid amount into FTC/SEC/Commerce/HHS, etc. I have actual numbers, but I'm too lazy to go through the recent alumni contact list and count. Theres a lot.

so in your opinion what schools does bu compare to for this kind of work? how far back is bc

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Fed. gov. hiring is a different beast all together. I think if you wanted to work for an agency, UT wouldn't put you at a disadvantage. There is something to be said for GW and being able to work at an agency during the school year, but some schools, like BU have semester in practice programs where they hook you up with a good placement for a semester and you get credit...

to toot BU's horn a little more, we were 1 of 3 schools to place at the UN High Commissioner human rights group this year in Geneva, 1 Stanford, 1 Harvard, and 1 BU student.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Fed. gov. hiring is a different beast all together. I think if you wanted to work for an agency, UT wouldn't put you at a disadvantage. There is something to be said for GW and being able to work at an agency during the school year, but some schools, like BU have semester in practice programs where they hook you up with a good placement for a semester and you get credit...

to toot BU's horn a little more, we were 1 of 3 schools to place at the UN High Commissioner human rights group this year in Geneva, 1 Stanford, 1 Harvard, and 1 BU student.

I see what you mean. Any chance you can find those stats you mentioned? I'd be curious to see how BC stacks up. thanks for informing me of that distinction! And people think we are arch enemies...psssh.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:28 pm

i feel like every thread im a part of comes down to tram vs blindmellon

ls10

Postby ls10 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 am

tram988 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Fed. gov. hiring is a different beast all together. I think if you wanted to work for an agency, UT wouldn't put you at a disadvantage. There is something to be said for GW and being able to work at an agency during the school year, but some schools, like BU have semester in practice programs where they hook you up with a good placement for a semester and you get credit...

I see what you mean. Any chance you can find those stats you mentioned? I'd be curious to see how BC stacks up. thanks for informing me of that distinction! And people think we are arch enemies...psssh.

Here are some stats that may be helpful. From the Equal Justice Works Guide re class of 2007 graduates at BC that received public interest fellowships or federal government honors positions: --LinkRemoved--

BC - 1 Presidential Management Fellow, 1 in the DOJ Honors program, and 1 in JAG

Here is the same data for BU re class of 2007 graduates that received public interest fellowships or federal government honors positions: --LinkRemoved--

BU - 3 in the DOJ honors program, 1 NYC department of housing and preservation, 1 Presidential Management Fellow, 1 Equal Just Works Fellow, and 1 at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:30 am

seems comparable enough...

So basically we have elliminated all but UT (prestige, cool new place) and BC/BU for my desire for Boston and potential for government positions?

GW is just not worth sticker with my other options, right? Does everybody agree witht that?

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:50 am

GW is not worth sticker.

WUSTL or Fordham w/ $. WUSTL has lower CoL.

WUSTL tip: there's a really nice suburb on the IL side called Edwardsville. Its cheaper than StL and its surrounding MO suburbs. Your commute would be 20-25 min.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:52 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:GW is not worth sticker.

WUSTL or Fordham w/ $. WUSTL has lower CoL.

WUSTL tip: there's a really nice suburb on the IL side called Edwardsville. Its cheaper than StL and its surrounding MO suburbs. Your commute would be 20-25 min.

You would choose WUSTL with minimal money over UT?

Also how come everybody is so all about GW not being worth sticker? Just because of how many people get certain kidns of jobs compared to how much it costs and dc COL?

burtonrideclub

Postby burtonrideclub » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:56 am

If you want to work in Boston, then I feel like you need to go BU/BC. That said, UT is awesome and if you think you have strong legal connections in Boston you might still be able to place there.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 am

burtonrideclub wrote:If you want to work in Boston, then I feel like you need to go BU/BC. That said, UT is awesome and if you think you have strong legal connections in Boston you might still be able to place there.

this is the gist of what I have been hearing. thanks to all for the input

Return to “Choosing a Law School”