Who uses Pass/Fail...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoollll

Who uses Pass/Fail...

Postby lawschoollll » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:40 am

... or some variation of the above? This is a pretty appealing system to me. Which schools use it? Berkeley, HY? Any other schools planning to switch to it in the future?

underachiever

Re: Who uses Pass/Fail...

Postby underachiever » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:11 am

I could be wrong on some of this but Ill give it a shot

Only yale uses pure P/F and that is just first semester...after that its High Pass/Pass/Fail I believe

Harvard uses HighP/P/LowP/F

Stanford also uses this, i believe in the Yale model...i.e. only 1st year/semester is pure P/F afterwords its HighP/P/LowP/F

In the Stanford and Harvard model and especially in the Berkeley model it works out almost like an A/B/C/F scale would, just looks better to someone b/c they aren't letter grades

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:21 pm

There are no grades given at Northeastern. Students receive evaluations from profs., and in addition evals. can be designated as "Honors/High Honors". No GPA, no class rank...

--LinkRemoved--

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:26 am

lallygag wrote:There are no grades given at Northeastern. Students receive evaluations from profs., and in addition evals. can be designated as "Honors/High Honors". No GPA, no class rank...

--LinkRemoved--

That kind of seems more stressful. If it were JUST evaluations, I would feel under constant pressure to impress the prof...

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:48 pm

underachiever wrote:I could be wrong on some of this but Ill give it a shot

Only yale uses pure P/F and that is just first semester...after that its High Pass/Pass/Fail I believe

Harvard uses HighP/P/LowP/F

Stanford also uses this, i believe in the Yale model...i.e. only 1st year/semester is pure P/F afterwords its HighP/P/LowP/F

In the Stanford and Harvard model and especially in the Berkeley model it works out almost like an A/B/C/F scale would, just looks better to someone b/c they aren't letter grades

TCR, except I think Harvard got rid of its Low P?? (Does someone else know?)

Berkeley uses the HH (top 10%), H (next 30%), P (~remaining 60%), low-Pass (not sure what amount) model. You have curved grades, just in a different form from ABCF.

If you are at median it looks better to have a 3.3 elsewhere than 3 Ps at Berkeley.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”