Help choosing a school, sticker v. money

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
strokes788

Help choosing a school, sticker v. money

Postby strokes788 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:29 am

Hi all, so with the current bad economy and the issue of ranking v. money at lower schools, if anyone could give me their opinion/insight on these, and what you think would be more worth it:

Northwestern (sticker unless I get a scholly offer)
Georgetown (sticker unless I get a scholly offer)
Duke (sticker unless I get a scholly offer)
UT - 84K
Vanderbilt - 60K

I am leaning towards a T14 mainly because of national portability of the degree, and because I'm not sure where I want to practice (leaning towards LA/NYC/Boston/Chicago/Bay area), but tuition is super high, I mean Northwestern 47K is insane. I am also leaning toward biglaw and it seems Northwestern places awesome in that, not just from this year's rankings putting them number 1 but just generally in years past, but its just super expensive, a lot of loans, etc. If anyone, especially anyone who took a half or full ride to a lower ranked school versus sticker at a higher school especially in the T14 could offer any insight I would greatly appreciate it

EdmundBurke23

Re: Help choosing a school, sticker v. money

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:35 am

It depends on what kind of money:D

If it's one of those where they get you to compete in a classroom full of students who also got money, then I'd say sticker. If not, go for the money.

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:37 am

I think UT and Vandy tend to offer money to a good number of students I'd be competing against in the classroom, so by that argument for now I guess sticker wins lol

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 am

but they don't have gpa requirements

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:47 am

For the areas you mentioned I think Northwestern and Duke should be your top two choices if being able to work in those areas is the biggest factor to you, I think Duke does well in NY from what I've seen/heard but Northwestern probably does better than that in Chicago.

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:50 am

DallasCowboy wrote:but they don't have gpa requirements

I actually haven't seen my offer letters from most schools except NU who sent it abroad as I'm getting a master's in the UK, so I actually had no idea which ones have GPA requirements. Just out of curiosity, do GPA requirements extend to master's programs, or if you've finished your undergrad and gotten your degree/final GPA are you good to go

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:35 am

EdmundBurke23 wrote:It depends on what kind of money:D

If it's one of those where they get you to compete in a classroom full of students who also got money, then I'd say sticker. If not, go for the money.

There is no way you chose that avatar by coincidence. :evil:

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:21 am

I would go to Texas as the numbers are currently, but I assume with a 84K offer from TX you will have $$ coming from the other schools soon. If not, leverage!

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:25 pm

*Bump*

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:22 pm

kurla88 wrote:I would go to Texas as the numbers are currently, but I assume with a 84K offer from TX you will have $$ coming from the other schools soon. If not, leverage!

+1

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:26 pm

strokes788 wrote:I think UT and Vandy tend to offer money to a good number of students I'd be competing against in the classroom, so by that argument for now I guess sticker wins lol

Do NOT be so arrogant to believe that you will be solely competing in law school against the people who had similar numbers to yours in college-as if that determines the quality of a law student's work. If anything, the people paying sticker have more incentive to kick your ass.

Or maybe I read your meaning wrong. If so, apologies.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”