Would choosing Cornell > Berkeley be crazy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell vs. Berkeley

Cornell
34%
Berkeley
66%

Total votes: 103

extempore88

Would choosing Cornell > Berkeley be crazy?

Postby extempore88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:53 pm

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

sfdreaming09

Re: Would choosing Cornell > Berkeley be crazy?

Postby sfdreaming09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:12 am

yes. unless you've got money coming from Cornell.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 am

extempore88 wrote:[strike]I'm in at Cornell and under faculty review at Berkeley. I want clerkship/big law after graduation and I'm not overly particular as to region (i.e. San Francisco = LA = NY). Cornell and Berkeley have roughly equal NLJ250 placing and Cornell has a slight edge in clerkships. I'm worried about Berkeley's future reputation and rising tuition. Cornell seems like the stalwart bastion of academic excellence and wins (FWIW IMO, anyway) on lay prestige. Berkeley, however, boasts a higher USNews ranking.[/strike]

Would I be an idiot to go to Ithaca?

Yes. It is colder than a motherfucker.

mike7174

Postby mike7174 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:38 am

extempore88 wrote:I'm in at Cornell and under faculty review at Berkeley. I want clerkship/big law after graduation and I'm not overly particular as to region (i.e. San Francisco = LA = NY). Cornell and Berkeley have roughly equal NLJ250 placing and Cornell has a slight edge in clerkships. I'm worried about Berkeley's future reputation and rising tuition. Cornell seems like the stalwart bastion of academic excellence and wins (FWIW IMO, anyway) on lay prestige. Berkeley, however, boasts a higher USNews ranking.

Seriously? I'm no big fan of Berkeley (Stanford UG) and Cornell is where both my parents went, but with the exception of it's undergrad program, there is probably not a single thing that Cornell is better than Berkeley at.

Berkeley and Cornell aren't even on the same level if you exclude undergrad programs. Berkeley is one of the three best schools in the US (along with Harvard and Stanford). No comparison.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 am

mike7174 wrote:
extempore88 wrote:I'm in at Cornell and under faculty review at Berkeley. I want clerkship/big law after graduation and I'm not overly particular as to region (i.e. San Francisco = LA = NY). Cornell and Berkeley have roughly equal NLJ250 placing and Cornell has a slight edge in clerkships. I'm worried about Berkeley's future reputation and rising tuition. Cornell seems like the stalwart bastion of academic excellence and wins (FWIW IMO, anyway) on lay prestige. Berkeley, however, boasts a higher USNews ranking.

Seriously? I'm no big fan of Berkeley (Stanford UG) and Cornell is where both my parents went, but with the exception of it's undergrad program, there is probably not a single thing that Cornell is better than Berkeley at.

Berkeley and Cornell aren't even on the same level if you exclude undergrad programs. Berkeley is one of the three best schools in the US (along with Harvard and Stanford). No comparison.

Isn't Cornell considered the worst ivy? Imo B>C for UG.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:44 am

No, you would not be an idiot to go to Ithaca, but Berkeley is better by most metrics. What would be crazy would be to choose Berkeley over Cornell based solely on the USNR ranking. You've observed that both are good schools whose graduates enjoy good job placement success. If you love Ithaca and hate Berkeley, then sure, go to Cornell. They are quite different environments and that matters a lot to some people. I wouldn't choose Cornell over Berkeley based on academics, though. UC Berkeley is a "stalwart bastion of academic excellence" if ever there was one.

Another factor is the grading systems. Berkeley uses High Honors, Honors, and Pass, where Pass is the median. This reduces some of the risks involved in potentially ending up in the bottom half of the class. It also contributes to a less competitive environment, as I understand it.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:45 am

jawsthegreat wrote:Imo B>C for UG.
Let's not go crazy now.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 am

voice of reason wrote:No, you would not be an idiot to go to Ithaca, but Berkeley is better by most metrics. What would be crazy would be to choose Berkeley over Cornell based solely on the USNR ranking. You've observed that both are good schools whose graduates enjoy good job placement success. If you love Ithaca and hate Berkeley, then sure, go to Cornell. They are quite different environments and that matters a lot to some people. I wouldn't choose Cornell over Berkeley based on academics, though. UC Berkeley is a "stalwart bastion of academic excellence" if ever there was one.

Another factor is the grading systems. Berkeley uses High Honors, Honors, and Pass, where Pass is the median. This reduces some of the risks involved in potentially ending up in the bottom half of the class. It also contributes to a less competitive environment, as I understand it.

Also, makes it harder to distinguish yourself.

mike7174

Postby mike7174 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:50 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
mike7174 wrote:

Isn't Cornell considered the worst ivy? Imo B>C for UG.

Yeah, Cornell and Brown are considered the "worst," but I would still say that they're both quite a bit better than Berkeley UG. Other than that, Berkeley trumps Cornell at everything.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:09 am

It depends on what type of law you want to pursue and where you want to work (East Coast biglaw).

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 am

I think it depends on what coast you want to work on.. If you're truly neutral about it, I'd say go for Berkeley because I think it might be easier to crack other parts of the country with a B degree than cracking the west coast or other parts of the country with a C degree, this is just my inkling so take it FWIW

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 am

If you want NYC go to Cornell. If you want California go to Berkeley. If you want DC go to Virginia or Georgetown. If you want Chicago go to Northwestern. This is of course assuming you didn't get into a T6.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:14 am

I'd rather go to Boalt because of the location, the supposed laid back atmosphere, and the number of 164 and under LSAT scores they let in. However you are right, their placement is pretty similar.

It wouldn't be a huge mistake to take Cornell. But at the very least visit these schools.

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:23 am

uh... lets not forget how crappy cornell's basketball team and football team are... always choose schools based on three factors: 1. sports teams 2. USWNRs 3. general awesomality

legallybound

Postby legallybound » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:37 am

No, you wouldn't be an idiot. Only choosing your school based on a ranking difference of effectively 4 spots would make you stupid. Choose the school with the right match for personality, career placement (East coast/west coast), academic program, weather (if it's important), cost or any other factors you have.

But don't jump ahead of yourself, you haven't gotten into Berkeley yet. :wink:

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:39 am

Avoid the worst hippies and libtards; go to Cornell.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd rather go to Boalt because of . . . the number of 164 and under LSAT scores they let in. However you are right, their placement is pretty similar.

:)

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:15 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:uh... lets not forget how crappy cornell's basketball team and football team are... always choose schools based on three factors: 1. sports teams 2. USWNRs 3. general awesomality

Thank you for bringing sanity to this otherwise insane thread.

AtticusFinch

Postby AtticusFinch » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:23 pm

LawandOrder wrote:Avoid the worst hippies and libtards; go to Cornell.

Berkeley may be hippy central but Ithaca has their share of hippies.
Last edited by AtticusFinch on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 pm

I would say to wait until you actually get a final decision from Berkeley. If you get in, visit. I voted Berkeley, though.

Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”