UVA Sticker vs. USC Full Ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA Sticker or USC Full Ride?

UVA Sticker
26%
USC Full Ride
74%

Total votes: 93

wholefoodsyuppie

UVA Sticker vs. USC Full Ride

Postby wholefoodsyuppie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 pm

I would be fine getting Biglaw out of USC -or- Clerkships/Gov't out of UVA. I would eventually like to live in California, although if I were able to get something really nice like DOJ or AUSA, then the awesomeness of my job would far override any care I had about location.

Basically if I chose USC, I'd set my sights lower.. but I'd also have no debt. I would probably be just as happy at biglaw with no debt, as I would be at a prestigous government job with debt.

So, I guess the real question here is: Likelihood of getting Biglaw out of USC vs. Likelihood of getting a nice gov't job or clerkship out of UVA.
Last edited by wholefoodsyuppie on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdmann783

Re: UVA Sticker vs. USC Full Ride

Postby birdmann783 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 pm

try to get some money from uva or start searching for outside scholarships

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Interests, goals, location,etc...

Threads like this are stupid without more information.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:39 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Interests, goals, location,etc...

Threads like this are stupid without more information.

+1

If you were interested in working on the East Coast or were extremely debt averse or .....

wholefoodsyuppie

Postby wholefoodsyuppie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Updated original post.. thanks to jawsthegreat for pointing out the need for details.
Last edited by wholefoodsyuppie on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Nightrunner wrote:If you want Cali, this is a no-brainer.

tcr. UVA.

Applicant2010

Postby Applicant2010 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Is this a hypo? No one has yet reported $$ to USC...

wholefoodsyuppie

Postby wholefoodsyuppie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Nightrunner wrote:OK, the UVA trolls will team up with the T14-or-busters, and maybe that's what your looking for. Before they lambast me out of the water, here's my two cents:

USC is a ridiculously reputable school, located in the exact market you hope to land, and they're giving you a full scholarship. Now, if you wanted DC (or if you had no idea), then I could see an argument for the more highly regarded UVA, but anyone telling you to absorb a mortgage worth of debt to go to a public school on the wrong ocean in order to come back to Cali is out of their minds.

Obviously, your call...my two cents.

Well, whether I even want to return to Cali is dependent on my job prospects... if I get a prestigous clerkship in the DC area, then obviously I would choose that over Cali Biglaw. But as I understand it, the chances of landing a nice clerkship or government job out of UVA are slim... as are the chances of landing Biglaw out of USC. That's why I'm torn... Slim vs. Slim

wholefoodsyuppie

Postby wholefoodsyuppie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:01 pm

Applicant2010 wrote:Is this a hypo? No one has yet reported $$ to USC...

Not a hypo, but I haven't officially received it yet either. Can't go into details.. but it's not a hypo.

wholefoodsyuppie

Postby wholefoodsyuppie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
wholefoodsyuppie wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:OK, the UVA trolls will team up with the T14-or-busters, and maybe that's what your looking for. Before they lambast me out of the water, here's my two cents:

USC is a ridiculously reputable school, located in the exact market you hope to land, and they're giving you a full scholarship. Now, if you wanted DC (or if you had no idea), then I could see an argument for the more highly regarded UVA, but anyone telling you to absorb a mortgage worth of debt to go to a public school on the wrong ocean in order to come back to Cali is out of their minds.

Obviously, your call...my two cents.

Well, whether I even want to return to Cali is dependent on my job prospects... if I get a prestigous clerkship in the DC area, then obviously I would choose that over Cali Biglaw. But as I understand it, the chances of landing a nice clerkship or government job out of UVA are slim... as are the chances of landing Biglaw out of USC. That's why I'm torn... Slim vs. Slim

In the battle of slim v. slim, the only winner is the one who gets out with less debt, imo.

Likewise... I would probably be just as happy debt-free and with a low-paying job out of USC as I would be with Biglaw and six-figure debt out of UVA. lol.

wholefoodsyuppie

Postby wholefoodsyuppie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Okay, here's what I'd really like to know...

What's the cutoff for getting biglaw out of USC? This USC thing came out nowhere for me, so I haven't researched the school at all.

What's the cutoff for getting a nice clerkship/gov't job out of UVA? My impression is that I need to be in the realm of top 10%...

If I had accurate data, I'd just go to the school with the larger % number for my respective goals.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 pm

There are a ridiculous amount of UVA trolls on TLS who will fight tooth and nail for their school, which is fine, except when they mislead people. I think this would be an issue if you were talking Stanford or Harvard, not UVA (add: I will concede any of the T6, depending on your goals). There are more similarities between USC and UVA then differences in placement, and there is a decent chance you end up in the same place, except with or without debt. I got into a t10 school, but I will be ready to withdraw in a second for a full ride at SC.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Applicant2010

Postby Applicant2010 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 pm

wholefoodsyuppie wrote:
Applicant2010 wrote:Is this a hypo? No one has yet reported $$ to USC...

Not a hypo, but I haven't officially received it yet either. Can't go into details.. but it's not a hypo.

Well Congratulations!

Is this Rothman? If so, don't you get 1L internship at Skadden guaranteed? ...Sounds like a good start a Big Law

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 pm

I love UVA, but I don't think going here outweighs graduating from a T20 debt free if you want to live in California.

Plus, if you go to USC you'll get to see the Huskies play on the road next fall, in what will be Jake Locker's Heisman season.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm

The first thing you should do is take that scholly to UVA and see if they will give you any $$.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 pm

wholefoodsyuppie wrote:Likewise... I would probably be just as happy debt-free and with a low-paying job out of USC as I would be with Biglaw and six-figure debt out of UVA. lol.

In that case, USC debt free. Debt is real.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:There are a ridiculous amount of UVA trolls on TLS who will fight tooth and nail for their school, which is fine, except when they mislead people. I think this would be an issue if you were talking Stanford or Harvard, not UVA (add: I will concede any of the T6, depending on your goals). There are more similarities between USC and UVA then differences in placement, and there is a decent chance you end up in the same place, except with or without debt. I got into a t10 school, but I will be ready to withdraw in a second for a full ride at SC.

The vote is 27 to 12 and one UVA person has already advocated going for USC. At least 2 UVA people have voted for USC.

The facts that, all things equal, OP would like to be in California, and that he doesn't mind potentially missing out on the BigLaw paycheck, make this pretty heavily weighted for USC.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:31 pm

wholefoodsyuppie wrote:So, I guess the real question here is: Likelihood of getting Biglaw out of USC vs. Likelihood of getting a nice gov't job or clerkship out of UVA.

If UVA hasn't offered you any $, how are you really going to have the option to not aim for biglaw? That's a lot of debt and (correct me if I'm wrong) I haven't heard that UVA's loan assistance for public interest is that great. Also, while UVA has solid govt/clerkship placement, competition for those jobs can still be very intense. If you want to work in Cali, just go to USC and enjoy three years debt free at an excellent school.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:32 pm

You want Cali and say you'll be cool with no BigLaw... so take USC and enjoy paying nothing to go to an excellent school in the region you want.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:34 pm

wadeny wrote:
wholefoodsyuppie wrote:So, I guess the real question here is: Likelihood of getting Biglaw out of USC vs. Likelihood of getting a nice gov't job or clerkship out of UVA.

If UVA hasn't offered you any $, how are you really going to have the option to not aim for biglaw? That's a lot of debt and (correct me if I'm wrong) I haven't heard that UVA's loan assistance for public interest is that great. Also, while UVA has solid govt/clerkship placement, competition for those jobs can still be very intense. If you want to work in Cali, just go to USC and enjoy three years debt free at an excellent school.

UVA is working on improving their LRAP. But yes, until it improves, it's hard to recommend UVA over $$$$ at USC for someone who might be interested in PI.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:38 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:There are a ridiculous amount of UVA trolls on TLS who will fight tooth and nail for their school, which is fine, except when they mislead people. I think this would be an issue if you were talking Stanford or Harvard, not UVA (add: I will concede any of the T6, depending on your goals). There are more similarities between USC and UVA then differences in placement, and there is a decent chance you end up in the same place, except with or without debt. I got into a t10 school, but I will be ready to withdraw in a second for a full ride at SC.

The vote is 27 to 12 and one UVA person has already advocated going for USC. At least 2 UVA people have voted for USC.

The facts that, all things equal, OP would like to be in California, and that he doesn't mind potentially missing out on the BigLaw paycheck, make this pretty heavily weighted for USC.

I am not saying that every person who goes to UVA is a troll, but as a school you have one of if not the largest TLS population. The fact that there are even 12 votes is kind of amazing, and I would be willing to bet that a good amount of those are people that go or are about to go to UVA. Seriously, the only school with a larger and or more passionate group of TLS'ers is probably Michigan. I want to punch a Michigan troll in the face. No one cares that your school places half a percent better then peer X, no one wants to live in Michigan and become an ass like these trolls. (this is a bit of an exaggerated joke, but has some merit)

Edit: At least UVA has Vanwinkle, who in his limited spare time between trolling and studying(I think) has provided some good advice.

redginseng

Postby redginseng » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:21 am

The fact that there are even 12 votes is kind of amazing, and I would be willing to bet that a good amount of those are people that go or are about to go to UVA. Seriously, the only school with a larger and or more passionate group of TLS'ers is probably Michigan

I would have to agree with this.

There are three public schools in T14. Out of these schools, I feel that Berk people seem to play cool on TLS, but M and V people appears, I don't know, trying to defend their schools or something. Maybe Berkeley has SF, but MV people need to justify their choice of going school in Ann Arbor and Charlottesville?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:40 am

The anti-UVa-troll trolling is getting ridiculous. Only one person has openly voted for UVa. The votes in the poll could have easily come from passer-by's who vote based on ranking alone. It happens all the time regardless of the schools in the poll.

OP, you should almost certainly go with USC.

wholefoodsyuppie

Postby wholefoodsyuppie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. For what it's worth, I wasn't saying I didn't mind not getting biglaw.. I meant that although I want biglaw, I want government/clerkships more. I remember just a couple years ago, people would almost invariably vote for the higher-ranked school over the scholarship, but maybe ITE has changed that.

Beating out 10% of USC Law students sure does sound like a chore. I wonder how much harder it would be than to beat out 40% of UVA students. Oh well. USC it is.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Don't make this decision without visiting to the schools and talking with alumns and such!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”