BU vs WUSTL ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BU vs WUSTL (10K/year)

BU
13
33%
WUSTL ($)
26
67%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Assuming I don't get off any of the 8 WLs I'm on then my choices are BU (no aid to date, not sure if anything is coming) or WUSTL (10K/year). Estimated savings living in St Louis instead of Boston are around $26,000 over three years (just in rent). WUSTL will end up being approx $54,000 less.

We'd be happier long term stuck in the Northeast than the Midwest. I want to do PI and am very debt-adverse. Personal connections make finding PI work less difficult, but who knows really. Boston is better for my husband's career, near family and friends, and has the better PI program. But it is expensive, I will probably pay sticker and I am worried about summer employment in Boston against Harvard's 500 person class. We can handle being a little isolated for a few years. WUSTL has better campus, we could live in a nice place, and save some money. I could deal with living in Chicago but the most portable the better, due to husband's career.

At present, I can talk myself into either place, but won't be visiting until late March, early April. I'd like to start getting some sense of one or the other.

Thoughts?

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 pm

People voting, care to elaborate? Any and all thoughts appreciated!

ladiesandgerms
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby ladiesandgerms » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Hey, I've been poking around here for a week or so and saw this thread. I'm in the exact same position, except with Emory as another option. Right now I'm leaning toward Wash U for fairly superficial reasons, chief among them being the fantastic facilities. I'll be interested to see the responses here, and to see what you decide, OP.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 pm

ladiesandgerms wrote:Hey, I've been poking around here for a week or so and saw this thread. I'm in the exact same position, except with Emory as another option. Right now I'm leaning toward Wash U for fairly superficial reasons, chief among them being the fantastic facilities. I'll be interested to see the responses here, and to see what you decide, OP.


Where do you want to end up long term? Part of me thinks the higher ranking and money settle it. But there are lots of intangibles in it for me.

ladiesandgerms
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby ladiesandgerms » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:45 pm

The truth is that I just don't know. I've got family in both Atlanta and New York, so that's some consideration, but I think I would also love to begin a career as far away as Chicago or even California. I suppose without a clear direction as to where I want to be, the guiding factor in my decision-making so far has been the national reach of the school's reputation, and the money from WUSTL makes things a little bit sweeter. As with you, I'm waiting on a couple other schools (crossing fingers for the Cornell deferral to come through) to make a decision, and hoping for a couple WLs to fall my way. If you don't mind saying, what are a couple of the schools you're waiting on that would make this decision moot?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Try to leverage money out of BU. BU >>> WUSTL for the NE. Also, Boston COL isn't that bad.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Try to leverage money out of BU. BU >>> WUSTL for the NE. Also, Boston COL isn't that bad.


Is there any credence to the worry that the local PI game will be dominated by Harvard? I essentially made it up and then convinced myself if was a huge concern.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:48 pm

jks289 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Try to leverage money out of BU. BU >>> WUSTL for the NE. Also, Boston COL isn't that bad.


Is there any credence to the worry that the local PI game will be dominated by Harvard? I essentially made it up and then convinced myself if was a huge concern.


Its not. Clerkships yes, PI not at all. I thought you wanted to live in the NE? WUSTL is more of a Chicago and to a lesser extent, NYC school.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
jks289 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Try to leverage money out of BU. BU >>> WUSTL for the NE. Also, Boston COL isn't that bad.


Is there any credence to the worry that the local PI game will be dominated by Harvard? I essentially made it up and then convinced myself if was a huge concern.


Its not. Clerkships yes, PI not at all. I thought you wanted to live in the NE? WUSTL is more of a Chicago and to a lesser extent, NYC school.


I am mostly focused on the summers during school. Because I have a family, it is tough to leave for summer jobs. Possible, but tough.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:03 pm

jks289 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
jks289 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Try to leverage money out of BU. BU >>> WUSTL for the NE. Also, Boston COL isn't that bad.


Is there any credence to the worry that the local PI game will be dominated by Harvard? I essentially made it up and then convinced myself if was a huge concern.


Its not. Clerkships yes, PI not at all. I thought you wanted to live in the NE? WUSTL is more of a Chicago and to a lesser extent, NYC school.


I am mostly focused on the summers during school. Because I have a family, it is tough to leave for summer jobs. Possible, but tough.


Then see if you can get more $$ out of BU. Live in Boston, work in Boston. Solves the problem for you and your family (I really doubt HLS people are taking up all of the PI jobs... HLS is, or at least has the reputation of being, the most BIGLAW-centric of YHS).

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:06 pm

keg411 wrote:
jks289 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
jks289 wrote:Is there any credence to the worry that the local PI game will be dominated by Harvard? I essentially made it up and then convinced myself if was a huge concern.


Its not. Clerkships yes, PI not at all. I thought you wanted to live in the NE? WUSTL is more of a Chicago and to a lesser extent, NYC school.


I am mostly focused on the summers during school. Because I have a family, it is tough to leave for summer jobs. Possible, but tough.


Then see if you can get more $$ out of BU. Live in Boston, work in Boston. Solves the problem for you and your family (I really doubt HLS people are taking up all of the PI jobs... HLS is, or at least has the reputation of being, the most BIGLAW-centric of YHS).


I wish BU was even remotely predictable about the money offers. Some people got them with acceptance, some only after filing financial aid information, Veritas even scored an offer after he withdrew. Do you think I should preemptively contact them to say I have X and Y offers from others schools. (I also have 24/year from Washington & Lee, though I doubt they'll care). Or wait and see if somethign comes and then negotiate?

WUSTL is still leading big time in the poll, any one willing to share their thinking of why it is better? Sorry for seeming so indecisive. I am just honestly really torn.

ccourt14
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby ccourt14 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 pm

I am in the same position as well. Deciding between WUSTL and BU and WUSTL gave me more money. Deep down I feel Boston will produce more opportunities for jobs, but in the long-run I probably want to move back to Colorado, so neither of them have an advantage in that way as far as I know. BU is also more appealing of a city than St Louis too, but COL is a turnoff. I really don't know what to advise. Does anyone think either have more national reach?

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 pm

WUSTL is still leading big time in the poll, any one willing to share their thinking of why it is better? Sorry for seeming so indecisive. I am just honestly really torn.





THE TOWER OF DOOM?


Image

OR



Image

You make the call....

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:19 pm

I think WUSTL is winning because of the $. I would contact BU and tell them what you're telling us.

FWIW - I'm public interest person at BU and I've had a fantastic experience so far. I'm spending this summer working at the federal agency I wanted to and am going on an all expense (well expect food) paid trip by the school to New Orleans for Spring Break to do housing law. I have friends working at Boston Legal Aid, USAO, MA AG, state agencies, other federal agencies, and even international human rights stuff.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Um. I like the tower. Numerically, BU places better (although WUSTL/BU are peers)... and theres also this.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... t0210/#/18.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Blindmelon wrote:I think WUSTL is winning because of the $. I would contact BU and tell them what you're telling us.

FWIW - I'm public interest person at BU and I've had a fantastic experience so far. I'm spending this summer working at the federal agency I wanted to and am going on an all expense (well expect food) paid trip by the school to New Orleans for Spring Break to do housing law. I have friends working at Boston Legal Aid, USAO, MA AG, state agencies, other federal agencies, and even international human rights stuff.


That's good to hear Blindmelon. I don't think I would mind the tower. I honestly like everything about BU better, except for the expense and the fact that we would spend three more years in a tiny apartment (currently live in a tiny place in LA). I think I am going to write a letter and try not to sound entitled, explain my situation to BU and see what happens. Thanks!

User avatar
roxj
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:09 am

Re: BU vs WUSTL ($)

Postby roxj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm

It sounds like you prefer BU enough to justify going there over WUSTL, so ask for money but go to BU either way. I definitely think it has a better national reputation. Like someone above said, the Harvard people are all rushing off to BigLaw and NYC positions. I have family in Boston and they say BU has a great local reputation. It made the National Jurist (I think that's what it's called) top 4 schools for PI. Plus Boston's a cool city. I visited a year ago and definitely didn't mind the tower. It was right on the river, and right in the city, and in general it had a good feel (imo).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], curry4bfast, paul554 and 3 guests