Tulane $$ v. UNC (Resident)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Tulane $$ v. UNC (resident)

Tulane
40%
UNC
60%

Total votes: 25

southernlaw

Tulane $$ v. UNC (Resident)

Postby southernlaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

I am trying to decide between Tulane and UNC. They are near equal in costs. I would love to live in NOLA for a few years, and then eventually find work somewhere in the South-Mid Atlantic. (I.e. Texas, NC, DC).

I want to maximize my chances at employment, though it doesn't have to be big law. I'd be fine with a small to mid-size firm at $75k+. I also am want to maximize my quality of life (despite the stresses) in law school, hence my desire to live in NOLA.

Thoughts?

Charles Barkley

Re: Tulane $$ v. UNC (Resident)

Postby Charles Barkley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:48 pm

I live in New Orleans now and am likely going to Tulane in the fall. Go to Tulane :D

southernlaw

Postby southernlaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:14 pm

how do you like living in NOLA?

waverider

Postby waverider » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:30 am

What are the stipulations on the Tulane scholly... makes a big difference

MoS

Postby MoS » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:48 am

I really don't even think this is a hard decision if they cost the same UNC. You have to move to go to Tulane, NOLA is more expensive to live in. UNC is a better school. You have great options in NC and the SE with UNC. And I wouldn't practice law in NOLA if you want to go somewhere else later. They have a completely different system of law, the transition would be killer.

southernlaw

Postby southernlaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:39 am

good point about the COL...I think my main attraction was just to get out of NC for a bit...

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 pm

MoS wrote:I really don't even think this is a hard decision if they cost the same UNC. You have to move to go to Tulane, NOLA is more expensive to live in. UNC is a better school. You have great options in NC and the SE with UNC. And I wouldn't practice law in NOLA if you want to go somewhere else later. They have a completely different system of law, the transition would be killer.

fyi you can choose if you want to study civil or common law. If you want to stay in LA choose civil law, if not then choose common law. From what I understand if you choose common law it is no different from studying in any other state.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 pm

gwuorbust wrote:fyi you can choose if you want to study civil or common law. If you want to stay in LA choose civil law, if not then choose common law. From what I understand if you choose common law it is no different from studying in any other state.

Yep, this ^^ pretty sure you can choose. And NOLA is great, I went to Tulane for UG .. but I wouldn't want to be trapped in that region of the country post-LS (maybe thats just me). Do you want TX or NC/DC (mid-Atlantic) I think thats the real question here.

dkirby87

Postby dkirby87 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 pm

This is pretty uncanny. I am in exactly the same position as you. I am going to NOLA next week to check out the school.
I have the same scholly from Tulane as well.
I talked to a Biglaw guy yesterday about this same question and he said pretty undoubtedly go to UNC.
The living expenses would be dramatically different.

Would you mind living in NC after school?

nol607

Postby nol607 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:20 pm

I'll admit that I'm a big fan of Tulane. I have to disagree about the cost of living in New Orleans. Everything is very inexpensive (except for the tuition), the only places I can imagine being any cheaper would be Mississippi or any really rural schools. This is anecdotal, but I know many people who studied common law, then decided that they wanted to stay in Nola. The differences were completely surmountable and they were up to speed in a matter of weeks from bar/bri prep. Especially since the storm, Tulane's brand recognition has gone up a lot- I think its more nationally recognized and ultimately will give you more portability.

southernlaw

Postby southernlaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:19 pm

thanks for the advice, I would agree that the difference in living expenses would be marginal, but UNC would probs win out by a slim margin.

It's difficult, because at the T30-50, you are supposed to go the best school in your region...but I'm not committed to living anywhere for sure. In general I just prefer warm over cold :-).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”