Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

Villanova (w/ 10 K in top 30-40%)
4
14%
Kentucky (12 K in top 50-60%)
13
46%
LSU (15K in top 33%)
7
25%
Penn State (10K in top 50%)
4
14%
 
Total votes: 28

bruffin
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 pm

Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby bruffin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:41 pm

I am having alot of trouble deciding between these 4 schools. I am an out of state applicant to all of the schools but want to get out of my home state for at least three years. I am however, confident that if I will be able to network my way back if I choose to do so. Here are the merit scholarships each school has offered:

Nova - 10K per year must maintain a 3.2 GPA (from my minimal research around top 30-40%)
Kentucky - 12K per year basically making me a in state student must maintain a 2.9 GPA (top 50-60%)
LSU - 15K must remain in top 33% of class
PSU - 10K must remain in top 50% of class

I honestly wouldn't mind practicing in any of the regions I am considering. If everything were equal I would probubly choose to go to LSU (I love Baton Rouge and New Orleans), but that top 33% requirement is scaring me off a bit. I tried to negotiate with them but had zero success. Most of extended family lives in Pennsylvannia (I love it there when I visit), but having grown up in the south my whole life I'm worried it will be a huge culture shock for me to move up there. Having said all that I guess that leaves me leaning toward Kentucky. I really enjoyed my visit there and love both Lexington and Louisville. What would you do?

AsylumPB
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby AsylumPB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 pm

If you don't mind staying in the region, I would go with UK. They have strong placement in the Louisville/Lexington area and it wouldn't be as hard to maintain the scholly. LSU is only 3k more per year and with pretty rigid standards. At least you realize that top 33% might not be possible. Everyone on here seems to think that they will be top 5-10%.

bruffin
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby bruffin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm

bump

I could really use some advice/help from ya"ll

Cestjustemoi
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby Cestjustemoi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:46 pm

I say no to both uk and psu. You might like pa but I don't think either campus of psu is in a desirable location. Villanova is in a great location but it's uber expensive and main line living is also costly. I would say while lsu might have more rigid standards their price is still manageable if you loose your scholly nova and psu would be ridic money. As for UK I just don't understand why anyone would want to live in Kentucky. But hey that's personal preference. Faced with your situation I would pick nova but that's because I could live for free in Philly. Otherwise I would go with LSU.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 pm

:lol:
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:13 am

Kentucky = best school in the state
LSU = 2nd best school in the state
PSU = too costly, even with scholarship
Nova = high cost of living

Of course I am biased, but this is a no-brainer to me. The highest ranked school, which also happens to be the best in its region, is giving you money with the most lenient requirements. On top of that, you have already stated that you loved both Lexington and Louisville, the two places where UK places the strong majority of its grads.

I've been to both LSU and UK. Don't get me wrong, campus and facility-wise, LSU beats the pants off UK. The weather is also much better in BR than Lex, no doubt. But if you can get over those, and the slight tuition difference, UK would be a better decision IMO.

tuition costs:
-LSU: $25,500 ($10,500 after scholarship that requires you to stay in the top 33%)
-UK: $27,600 ($15,600 after scholarship that requires you to stay in the top 55%)

bruffin
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby bruffin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks for all the help thus far...anyone else have an opinion?

bruffin
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby bruffin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:13 pm

bump

Anyone else care to help?

rawils02
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby rawils02 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:34 am

I live in Louisville and have a scholly to UK for 15k. I have been down to UK for parties and friends during my undergrad at U of Louisville and as you've said, its a pretty nice college town. I am waiting replies still for other schools such as LSU, Penn State, Ohio, IU and UIUC. For me i want to practice and live outside of KY yet still within 3 to 4 hours drive- though i am still strongly considering UK. I guess to help you, I can tell you that living in Louisville the majority of attorneys are UofL law grads (at least my experience while interning at the court house) and favor there fellow UofL'ers.
However, obviously UK is a better school and those who do hold positions here in the Ville seem to REALLY pick out fellow Cats. You should know that there is a STRONG rivalry between the too that is continuously perpetuated even after students from both institutions graduate.
Though like a previous poster said, UK places the best everywhere else in KY and since I think you said you wanted to return to your home state, UK would be the best price, education, and experience for your circumstances.
Hope this helped:)

bruffin
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby bruffin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 am

bump

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:34 pm

UK definitely has the best money offer, IMO--even if you don't keep within the top 50-60 you can still become a KY resident fairly easily (from what I understand, it basically amounts to changing tags, voter registration, and something about living in KY for 6 mos., but I could be wrong) and thus keep that benefit for all three years. You don't necessarily have that option for the others.

I've also applied to Nova and haven't heard back, but from what I can tell, COL is a lot higher there than in Lex. If you really love Nawlins I don't see how you can turn LSU down, but I agree that scholly offer is a little scary. And as for Penn St...I've talked to a grad from there who absolutely hated State College. So weigh that in.

Given your options, and my bias because I'm probably going to take the same offer from UK...UK looks like your best bet. Plus, the chance to see some quality football and excellent basketball are awfully enticing...or Keeneland, if you like betting the ponies.

Good luck deciding and congrats on getting multiple legit offers, very nice.

bruffin
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby bruffin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:UK definitely has the best money offer, IMO--even if you don't keep within the top 50-60 you can still become a KY resident fairly easily (from what I understand, it basically amounts to changing tags, voter registration, and something about living in KY for 6 mos., but I could be wrong) and thus keep that benefit for all three years. You don't necessarily have that option for the others.

I've also applied to Nova and haven't heard back, but from what I can tell, COL is a lot higher there than in Lex. If you really love Nawlins I don't see how you can turn LSU down, but I agree that scholly offer is a little scary. And as for Penn St...I've talked to a grad from there who absolutely hated State College. So weigh that in.

Given your options, and my bias because I'm probably going to take the same offer from UK...UK looks like your best bet. Plus, the chance to see some quality football and excellent basketball are awfully enticing...or Keeneland, if you like betting the ponies.

Good luck deciding and congrats on getting multiple legit offers, very nice.


Thanks for the opinion. How was your visit to UK? I played some basketball in college so UK basketball is definately a huge plus for Kentucky. Sucks we won't get to see the Cousins/Wall combo next year.

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby bitlrc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:45 pm

if you like the south then you probably wouldn't like nova. philly would have a big learning curve. having lived in NJ, PA, and FL, i can tell you that state college is a lot more similar to the south than it is to like philadelphia, so you may very well enjoy it (other than the weather obviously).

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:19 pm

bitlrc wrote:if you like the south then you probably wouldn't like nova. philly would have a big learning curve. having lived in NJ, PA, and FL, i can tell you that state college is a lot more similar to the south than it is to like philadelphia, so you may very well enjoy it (other than the weather obviously).


While State College might be closer to the "south" than Philadelphia, I can tell you that it's NOTHING like Lexington/Athens/Knoxville/any other SEC town. You'll have to go visit to get your own feel, but from someone who did undergrad at UK, Penn State is nothing like here.

And while it sucks you might not get to see Cousins, Wall and PPat, your three years here are destined to be better than my four in undergrad (0 SEC championships)... here's to hoping for Brandon Knight, CJ Leslie, and Enes Kanter.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Bruffin--I really enjoyed my visit. The building is old but I felt like it had some upside--plenty of windows/natural light in the classrooms and library, in particular. I enjoyed the two classes I sat in on and people (including profs) seemed friendly. I'm not sure I'll ever figure out the street layout in Lex but it's a nice town/smallish city. It reminds me a lot of my hometown with a downtown section, which is probably why I liked it so much...

The visit was partially motivated by my deep need to see Wall/Cuz/Patterson in blue uniforms while I could. haha. I wish I could be there for Senior Day tomorrow but I think I would cry...haha.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Nova vs. Kentucky vs. LSU vs Penn St.

Postby mikeyp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:34 pm

bruffin wrote:I am having alot of trouble deciding between these 4 schools. I am an out of state applicant to all of the schools but want to get out of my home state for at least three years. I am however, confident that if I will be able to network my way back if I choose to do so. Here are the merit scholarships each school has offered:

Nova - 10K per year must maintain a 3.2 GPA (from my minimal research around top 30-40%)
Kentucky - 12K per year basically making me a in state student must maintain a 2.9 GPA (top 50-60%)
LSU - 15K must remain in top 33% of class
PSU - 10K must remain in top 50% of class

I honestly wouldn't mind practicing in any of the regions I am considering. If everything were equal I would probubly choose to go to LSU (I love Baton Rouge and New Orleans), but that top 33% requirement is scaring me off a bit. I tried to negotiate with them but had zero success. Most of extended family lives in Pennsylvannia (I love it there when I visit), but having grown up in the south my whole life I'm worried it will be a huge culture shock for me to move up there. Having said all that I guess that leaves me leaning toward Kentucky. I really enjoyed my visit there and love both Lexington and Louisville. What would you do?

If it helps, 3.2 at Villanova is around 40%, while a 3.4 is just above 30%. And the culture shock won't be bad at all. Not so much room as you're used to, but it's a chill area.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests