Chicago vs. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crackberry

Gold

Re: Chicago vs. NYU

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:15 pm

dbt wrote:
crackberry wrote:I'm actually pretty sure Hiei is a Kurama alt (I think he was banned, which would explain why he has to keep making new sns). He uses the same arguments, etc.
well if it is a Kurama alt i appreciate the shift in assertiveness. the new Kurama is no longer blatantly bashing NYU based on his authoritative 0L knowledge.
Yeah, I dunno. Obviously I can't prove it, but the arguments are eerily similar and he made a very assertive post as post #1, something that first-time posters usually won't do.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:17 pm

I haven't visited U of Chicago yet, but I have visited NYU. The area NYU is in is obviously much safer, but personally for me I didn't like how NYU is lacking a real campus feel. There is no quad, there are tons of non NYU peeps just walking through all the time, lots of pan handlers around etc. I do like the fact that Chicago is actually a real college campus in a city.

Hiei

New

Post by Hiei » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:21 pm

dbt wrote:
crackberry wrote:I'm actually pretty sure Hiei is a Kurama alt (I think he was banned, which would explain why he has to keep making new sns). He uses the same arguments, etc.
well if it is a Kurama alt i appreciate the shift in assertiveness. the new Kurama is no longer blatantly bashing NYU based on his authoritative 0L knowledge.
Never really did. Many just had no objectivity about the school and whenever someone even hinted that it might be something other than what you expected you flipped out. The only thing I have ever said--and will ever say--about NYU in terms of it's placement ability is that this website get's a bit out of hand with the whole "top 6" thing and it's idea that NYU has stronger job prospects than MBVP that was never based on anything other than US News overall rank.

The other thing is that a lot of the people flipping out about posters saying that NYU was really on a par with say Michigan, is that a lot of them were in September of their 1L year and were calling everyone else 0L's. It's kind of akin to a kid fingering a chick and then bashing everyone else who gives comments on dating for being virgins. And to be fair I never saw any 2L's or 3L's particiapting in that when people would say NYU wasn't really any stronger than MBVP outside of NYC--which always made me even more suspicous about the whole NYU being stronger than MBVP thing.

By the way I just checked out some threads and like 20 posters started figuring out that the whole TLS CCN thing was off when they saw new placement stats, and then almost every person who loves NYU started insulting those posters and calling them "trolls"-- lol I gotta say it was pretty hilarious.
Last edited by Hiei on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:23 pm

I am impressed with my own detective work.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:24 pm

crackberry wrote:
dbt wrote:
Yeah, I dunno. Obviously I can't prove it, but the arguments are eerily similar and he made a very assertive post as post #1, something that first-time posters usually won't do.
haha well his latest post confirms it. nice job!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hiei

New

Post by Hiei » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:26 pm

crackberry wrote:I am impressed with my own detective work.

Come on man detective work? Mr. Magoo could have figured that shit out. lol Well maybe not based on the comments because a lot of people have started figuring that out after looking at the employment stats, but the name and everything else.....

On a somewhat related note Chicago's admissons office isn't nearly as friendly as NYU's--I found the latter to be very friendly.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Hiei wrote:

Come on man detective work? Mr. Magoo could have figured that shit out. lol Well maybe not based on the comments because a lot of people have started figuring that out after looking at the employment stats, but the name and everything else.....
Well to be fair, I have no idea what the name connection is between kurama and hiei, but also I cracked the case after your first substantial post.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Hiei wrote:

On a somewhat related note Chicago's admissons office isn't nearly as friendly as NYU's--I found the latter to be very friendly.
NYU is a very friendly place; students, administration, professors, etc. I found Chicago to be distant/non-responsive (and I had auto-admit numbers). Just one of the many non-data factors to take into consideration should you have the option. Good luck!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:33 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=52605

This is what I meant to post before in my EDIT. This is a pretty nice representation of the fact that reputation-wise NYU comes in a step behind CC.

Glad to see Kurama back, although I'm not sure how long this alt will last.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:42 pm

dbt wrote:
Hiei wrote:

NYU is a very friendly place; students, administration, professors, etc. I found Chicago to be distant/non-responsive (and I had auto-admit numbers). Just one of the many non-data factors to take into consideration should you have the option. Good luck!
I've heard this a few times on tls but I have to say I had the complete opposite experience. I found NYU's office non-communicative, distant, and unhelpful while I found Chicago's office friendly, interested, and responsive. My numbers were definitely not auto-admit.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm

tintin wrote:disregarding the question of LRAP, is chicago really that much worse for PI?
Any discussion about PI is retarded if you don't consider LRAP. LRAP should be one of the major factors in the decision of anyone considering PI.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:28 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
tintin wrote:disregarding the question of LRAP, is chicago really that much worse for PI?
Any discussion about PI is retarded if you don't consider LRAP. LRAP should be one of the major factors in the decision of anyone considering PI.
Not if the parents (or grandparents, whatever) are paying for LS.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm

crackberry wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Crack...you're to clever for your own good sometimes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:36 pm

crackberry wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
/cue populism: Anyone in this situation isn't actually going to care about PI for long once they realize that it won't pay for a yacht. Unless, of course, they're also trust fund kids, in which case I suggest cyanide anyway. Or international public human rights space bunny law--don't take jobs from people who actually need them;)

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:39 pm

TheWire wrote:
crackberry wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Crack...you're to clever for your own good sometimes
Just playing devil's advocate. Something we should all be getting used to.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:40 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:/cue populism: Anyone in this situation isn't actually going to care about PI for long once they realize that it won't pay for a yacht. Unless, of course, they're also trust fund kids, in which case I suggest cyanide anyway. Or international public human rights space bunny law--don't take jobs from people who actually need them;)
Wait, so the only people who care about PI are those who will be paying their own way? Hmm, that's an interesting conclusion to draw.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:57 pm

crackberry wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:/cue populism: Anyone in this situation isn't actually going to care about PI for long once they realize that it won't pay for a yacht. Unless, of course, they're also trust fund kids, in which case I suggest cyanide anyway. Or international public human rights space bunny law--don't take jobs from people who actually need them;)
Wait, so the only people who care about PI are those who will be paying their own way? Hmm, that's an interesting conclusion to draw.
I have never met someone whose parents are still hand-holding them post-undergrad who cares enough about PI to forego the life of privilege that they knew growing up. (Not to mention that I have an aversion to generational wealth that is pretty well-known around here.) OTOH, people who have actually worked for what they have in life may actually feel that they should give something back. May.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence, though--I thought the tone in my quoted post made clear that I'm not making any great claim of truth. That said, we have a joke about PI folks at UChicago. We hold a PILF auction to raise funds for 2Ls and 3Ls who are going in to PI--more than likely, the people running the auction outnumber the people who actually care about the grants.

This only holds true for the jobs people want, though. Of course, there are going to be lots of people in PI who don't want to be in PI;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Eh, you may be right, but there are plenty of examples of people who grew up in wealthy families and yet ended up becoming dedicated public servants (both Roosevelts, JFK, etc.). Clearly I have no idea how much "hand-holding" their parents did, but I find the claim that those who come from wealthy families are inherently anti-public service somewhat offensive. I suppose if your claim rests solely on the hand-holding post-UG thing, that's another story, but I'm sure there are serious counterexamples to your argument.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 pm

crackberry wrote:Eh, you may be right, but there are plenty of examples of people who grew up in wealthy families and yet ended up becoming dedicated public servants (both Roosevelts, JFK, etc.). Clearly I have no idea how much "hand-holding" their parents did, but I find the claim that those who come from wealthy families are inherently anti-public service somewhat offensive. I suppose if your claim rests solely on the hand-holding post-UG thing, that's another story, but I'm sure there are serious counterexamples to your argument.
It isn't so much an "argument," as it is an observation from a crabby poor who is surrounded by people with serious entitlement issues.

Also, you'll notice that I specifically had a trust-fund kid exception in there. People who can live an oppulent life while being dedicated public servants due to a trust fund aren't giving up anything by being in public service, aside from an even more oppulent life.

I'm more referring to the people who grew up in considerable wealth, but don't have enough generational wealth that they would be able to maintain that kind of lifestyle if they went in to PI. Those are the folks who are truly "giving something up" by going in to PI--and I have never, ever met one of these people.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:15 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
crackberry wrote:Eh, you may be right, but there are plenty of examples of people who grew up in wealthy families and yet ended up becoming dedicated public servants (both Roosevelts, JFK, etc.). Clearly I have no idea how much "hand-holding" their parents did, but I find the claim that those who come from wealthy families are inherently anti-public service somewhat offensive. I suppose if your claim rests solely on the hand-holding post-UG thing, that's another story, but I'm sure there are serious counterexamples to your argument.
It isn't so much an "argument," as it is an observation from a crabby poor who is surrounded by people with serious entitlement issues.

Also, you'll notice that I specifically had a trust-fund kid exception in there. People who can live an oppulent life while being dedicated public servants due to a trust fund aren't giving up anything by being in public service, aside from an even more oppulent life.

I'm more referring to the people who grew up in considerable wealth, but don't have enough generational wealth that they would be able to maintain that kind of lifestyle if they went in to PI. Those are the folks who are truly "giving something up" by going in to PI--and I have never, ever met one of these people.
Ok, well I plan to be one of those people. My mom definitely COULD pay for my law school, but she's not going to. I'll be taking out loans and going into environmental law. I guess that means I don't really qualify under this metric, because I am in fact paying for school myself, but I will not be making very much $$ after school — certainly not as much as either of my parents made/makes.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:20 pm

crackberry wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Ok, well I plan to be one of those people. My mom definitely COULD pay for my law school, but she's not going to. I'll be taking out loans and going into environmental law. I guess that means I don't really qualify under this metric, because I am in fact paying for school myself, but I will not be making very much $$ after school — certainly not as much as either of my parents made/makes.
there's something else to this though. There's a certain freedom that comes with the assurance that if things every went really wrong you could count on your parents to bail you out (in the most dire of $$ circumstances). You might be foregoing an opulent lifestyle but you still have that financial assurance / the eventual expectation of inheritance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:20 pm

I don't see the contest here unless this was a humorous thread.

Chicago of course.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

agentzer0 wrote:there's something else to this though. There's a certain freedom that comes with the assurance that if things every went really wrong you could count on your parents to bail you out (in the most dire of $$ circumstances). You might be foregoing an opulent lifestyle but you still have that financial assurance / the eventual expectation of inheritance.
Yeah, I'm not going to dignify this with much of a response. You're right; my mom is not going to let me fall into abject poverty unless it's a product of my own doing. That said, the idea that I have any sort of "expectation of inheritance" is an outrageous thing for you to say to me. You have no idea who I am.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:38 pm

crackberry wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:there's something else to this though. There's a certain freedom that comes with the assurance that if things every went really wrong you could count on your parents to bail you out (in the most dire of $$ circumstances). You might be foregoing an opulent lifestyle but you still have that financial assurance / the eventual expectation of inheritance.
Yeah, I'm not going to dignify this with much of a response. You're right; my mom is not going to let me fall into abject poverty unless it's a product of my own doing. That said, the idea that I have any sort of "expectation of inheritance" is an outrageous thing for you to say to me. You have no idea who I am.
Crackberry, you went to STANFORD for CRYING OUT LOUD. OF COURSE you have a TRUST FUND.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:38 pm

crackberry wrote:
crackberry wrote: My mom definitely COULD pay for my law school
Did you take out loans for Stanford too?

When I said expectation of inheritance what I meant is your financial solvency is assured by your parents (if they were to die this assurance would come in the form of inheritance).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”