Chicago vs. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crackberry

Gold

Re: Chicago vs. NYU

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:39 pm

miamiman wrote:
crackberry wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:there's something else to this though. There's a certain freedom that comes with the assurance that if things every went really wrong you could count on your parents to bail you out (in the most dire of $$ circumstances). You might be foregoing an opulent lifestyle but you still have that financial assurance / the eventual expectation of inheritance.
Yeah, I'm not going to dignify this with much of a response. You're right; my mom is not going to let me fall into abject poverty unless it's a product of my own doing. That said, the idea that I have any sort of "expectation of inheritance" is an outrageous thing for you to say to me. You have no idea who I am.
Crackberry, you went to STANFORD for CRYING OUT LOUD. OF COURSE you have a TRUST FUND.
True. Everyone there does, including you I bet.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:41 pm

crackberry wrote:True. Everyone there does, including you I bet.

Are you kidding? I never leave home without it.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:43 pm

agentzer0 wrote:Did you take out loans for Stanford too?

When I said expectation of inheritance what I meant is your financial solvency is assured by your parents (if they were to die this assurance would come in the form of inheritance).
No loans for UG, no, but I paid for my entire senior year with money I made at an on-campus job and in previous summers, etc.

First of all, I have ONE parent. Second, yes, if my mother were to die tomorrow, I would get some money. But let's assume for the sake of argument and my sanity that she does not. Let's assume that she lives another, say 30 years. She is not going to be feeding me money every year for 30 years, nor will I be waiting for her to die. In 30 years, I will be 54 and she will have been long retired. She will likely have used up most (if not all) of her 401K and retirement savings by then. I imagine I will collect very little money.

I am not going into PI with the thinking that, "Oh well if I don't succeed hopefully my mom dies so I can collect a little $$." GTFO.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 pm

wait, i was serious about my trust fund.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 pm

crackberry wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:Did you take out loans for Stanford too?

When I said expectation of inheritance what I meant is your financial solvency is assured by your parents (if they were to die this assurance would come in the form of inheritance).
No loans for UG, no, but I paid for my entire senior year with money I made at an on-campus job and in previous summers, etc.

First of all, I have ONE parent. Second, yes, if my mother were to die tomorrow, I would get some money. But let's assume for the sake of argument and my sanity that she does not. Let's assume that she lives another, say 30 years. She is not going to be feeding me money every year for 30 years, nor will I be waiting for her to die. In 30 years, I will be 54 and she will have been long retired. She will likely have used up most (if not all) of her 401K and retirement savings by then. I imagine I will collect very little money.

I am not going into PI with the thinking that, "Oh well if I don't succeed hopefully my mom dies so I can collect a little $$." GTFO.
misrepresentation ftw! you need to stop taking arguments so personally lest you become a dogshit environmental-lawyer. ^ will be candy for the vicious corporate litigators employed to destroy you man

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:56 pm

agentzer0 wrote:misrepresentation ftw! you need to stop taking arguments so personally lest you become a dogshit environmental-lawyer. ^ will be candy for the vicious corporate litigators employed to destroy you man
Ok.

You're imposing your artificial opinions of who I am on me. And I'm the idiot.

You have literally NO idea what my family situation is and yet you're telling me what it is.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:58 pm

crackberry wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:misrepresentation ftw! you need to stop taking arguments so personally lest you become a dogshit environmental-lawyer. ^ will be candy for the vicious corporate litigators employed to destroy you man
Ok.

???

You don't know anything about me, and you're claiming I'm some sort of robot?!?

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 pm

eek. seriously, chillax, both of you.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:04 pm

miamiman wrote:eek. seriously, chillax, both of you.
Data can't chillax, he knows no human emotion :(

Last edited by agentzer0 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:05 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Ok.

???
You are telling me that my mom is going to prop me up. You are telling me that I am going to inherit a lot of money. You are telling me that my financial solvency is backed up by my mother's financial solvency. Sure, if I were in desperate need of money for some sort of legitimate crisis (medical need or something), my mom would help me. But she sure as shit isn't paying for my law school or my loans or my car or my house or any of that. You can make the claim that I have this halo over my head because my family has a little money, but to argue that I am in some way more privileged or whatever because of that is totally unfair. That is misrepresentation.

I have been cut off financially from my mom for about 34 months now. I haven't gotten a dime from her since April or May of 2007. Just because her checking account has more than $0 in it doesn't mean that I'm set for life. It was your phrase "eventual expectation of inheritance" that really set me off. My best guess is I inherit nothing but my mom's unpaid bills and collection of useless shit. She will give her money to charities before she gives it to me.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:07 pm

agentzer0 wrote:

bro, don't be a douche. you may have crossed a line with your insinuation that crackberry's parent has him covered. and crackberry may have been a bit defensive.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:10 pm

miamiman wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

bro, don't be a douche. you may have crossed a line with your insinuation that crackberry's parent has him covered. and crackberry may have been a bit defensive.
w0rd. sorry Crackberry, you are right; I don't know you :)

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:16 pm

Not to feed the fire, but it would be interesting to see how many public interest people from top schools come from inordinately wealthy families.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:17 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Not to feed the fire, but it would be interesting to see how many public interest people from top schools come from inordinately wealthy families.
NICE. GOOD TIMING, TOO.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 pm

miamiman wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Not to feed the fire, but it would be interesting to see how many public interest people from top schools come from inordinately wealthy families.
NICE. GOOD TIMING, TOO.
Thanks. This was me running to the thread to say that...

--ImageRemoved--

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:47 pm

I felt the same way when I called NYU to ask them a question. I feel like Chicago has had the most communication with me since my admit. They are just very personal, a call when you get in, emails from professors and deans. Plus they have a dedicated director of financial aid unlike many schools who just use your numbers to decide a lot of things. (not that chicago is generous with aid or anything lol cause they sure as hell aren't) Plus NYU has tons of hipsters in the surrounding area which automatically disqualifies it from my prospective school search. I hate hipsters as much as I can't stand CRACKBERRY....

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:03 pm

ranovr32 wrote:I felt the same way when I called NYU to ask them a question. I feel like Chicago has had the most communication with me since my admit. They are just very personal, a call when you get in, emails from professors and deans. Plus they have a dedicated director of financial aid unlike many schools who just use your numbers to decide a lot of things. (not that chicago is generous with aid or anything lol cause they sure as hell aren't) Plus NYU has tons of hipsters in the surrounding area which automatically disqualifies it from my prospective school search. I hate hipsters as much as I can't stand CRACKBERRY....
you guys hate on hipsters so much (which is acceptable to an extent, sure) but I don't think you're taking into account just how bad law students can be. I'm not saying I prefer hipsters to law students, but a good mix is better than a class full of kids asking "but where do we draw the line?"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:22 pm

ranovr32 wrote:I felt the same way when I called NYU to ask them a question. I feel like Chicago has had the most communication with me since my admit. They are just very personal, a call when you get in, emails from professors and deans. Plus they have a dedicated director of financial aid unlike many schools who just use your numbers to decide a lot of things. (not that chicago is generous with aid or anything lol cause they sure as hell aren't) Plus NYU has tons of hipsters in the surrounding area which automatically disqualifies it from my prospective school search. I hate hipsters as much as I can't stand CRACKBERRY....

wow, crackberry is getting beat down in this thread.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:00 pm

In all honesty, we don't want you.

Edit: Nevermind I just reread the thread, reading comp fail ftl...

In all honesty, most of the hipsters have long since moved out of the village.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:10 pm

badfish wrote:

Well then I hate Badfish and Crackberry......

ps I was joking about crackberry we have a long standing debate on the merits of Chicago vs Berkeley.

PSS Are we really defending hipsters now, REALLY????

PSSS It isn't 1963, put on some matching clothes and listen to decent music, I don't think that is much to ask if you want to be taken seriously by anyone over the age of 15.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:12 pm

badfish wrote:

where do the socialites live?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Ranovr — you and I are, and will always remain, mortal enemies.

Also sorry I missed out on this thread for the last couple of hours. I was too busy trying to sort out an issue with my trust fund.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:14 pm

adameus wrote:
badfish wrote:

where do the socialites live?
Williamsburg mostly ... that is, until they get faux-gentrified into queens.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
badfish wrote:

Well then I hate Badfish and Crackberry......

ps I was joking about crackberry we have a long standing debate on the merits of Chicago vs Berkeley.

PSS Are we really defending hipsters now, REALLY????

PSSS It isn't 1963, put on some matching clothes and listen to decent music, I don't think that is much to ask if you want to be taken seriously by anyone over the age of 15.
"P.S." stands for "post script," brosapian. You should add a "P" instead of an "S" for additional ones.

Your comments about hipsters, however, are credited.

hth

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:45 pm

crackberry wrote:Ranovr — you and I are, and will always remain, mortal enemies.

Also sorry I missed out on this thread for the last couple of hours. I was too busy trying to sort out an issue with my trust fund.
This is what I like to hear...

Hopefully I get into Harvard, then it can get real. Besides everyone knows Stanford is for west coast kids who couldn't get in......

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”