Law School Rankings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Law School Rankings

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:26 am

It has been continually suggested that the t14 have not suffered as badly in this economy as has TT or TTT schools. However, general perusing of this very web forum tends to indicate otherwise. I'd like to postulate; what if schools with national presence, rather than a regional one, where actually taking the more significant bump? I have nothing to really support this, except the anecdotal stories of those on TLS, but it seems a significant trend. In the past, those schools with national bases had a diluted alumni base (send the same number of lawyers across the country= fewer fighting for you at home) made up for it with prestige and recognition. However, in this economy, it seems that the (insert significant local presence) grad is choosing to hire his/her compatriot. rather than a t14 grad. This scews the numbers against prestige schools that have only built alumni base in major markets (i.e., LA, NY, Chicago). This idea seems supported by the fact that, even among 0L's, we all recognize that the hardest part of law school is getting into the school of your choice. I don't know how many countless times that I've heard top 5% at Harvard isn't necessarily more difficult than top 10% at (insert TT or TTT). I have nothing supporting this, but does anyone else speculate about this, or, have anything of actual merit to prove/disprove the theory?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Law School Rankings

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:36 am

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

Schools look hit across the board to me.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Law School Rankings

Postby Mattalones » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:50 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:It has been continually suggested that the t14 have not suffered as badly in this economy as has TT or TTT schools. However, general perusing of this very web forum tends to indicate otherwise. I'd like to postulate; what if schools with national presence, rather than a regional one, where actually taking the more significant bump? I have nothing to really support this, except the anecdotal stories of those on TLS, but it seems a significant trend. In the past, those schools with national bases had a diluted alumni base (send the same number of lawyers across the country= fewer fighting for you at home) made up for it with prestige and recognition. However, in this economy, it seems that the (insert significant local presence) grad is choosing to hire his/her compatriot. rather than a t14 grad. This scews the numbers against prestige schools that have only built alumni base in major markets (i.e., LA, NY, Chicago). This idea seems supported by the fact that, even among 0L's, we all recognize that the hardest part of law school is getting into the school of your choice. I don't know how many countless times that I've heard top 5% at Harvard isn't necessarily more difficult than top 10% at (insert TT or TTT). I have nothing supporting this, but does anyone else speculate about this, or, have anything of actual merit to prove/disprove the theory?

I think that what you say is interesting. I also know that if you go to a decent school, then the only thing that matters after that is what you bring to the table. If you bring it all the time, then you'll get what you need ("decent" in terms of its ability to get you what you want, whatever that might be).

More to the point though, I would guess that, if the T14 took a hit (which they did), then it would serve to localize schools that were previously national. In times of uncertainty, people will play their cards more conservatively. So, I'd bet people from places like NYU will stay in NY more, and people from Stanford/Berkeley will stay in the bay area of California more. Not everyone will do this, but simply thinking about human nature suggests that it will happen more.

If it does, then it would make traditionally regional schools place a little worse. Compile that with there being fewer firms and fewer jobs at the firms that are still around, and you'll just see lower placement numbers. It is going to, again, come down to what you bring to the table.

Kids from Loyola LA will really have to make a showing to compete with UCLA and USC grads; kids from Fordham will have to stack up to NYU and Columbia grads; BC and BU grads will have their work cut out for them will Harvard churning out so many JDs in Boston; etc. All you can do it bring it with all you've got. If you can, you'll get something (very few people actually give all that they've got, and if you are at a good school you'll have to always be on the look out for what you can do to be the best).

Get'r done! 8)

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Law School Rankings

Postby galahad85 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:56 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf

Schools look hit across the board to me.


Except Vanderbilt. :P

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Law School Rankings

Postby Mattalones » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:58 am

galahad85 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf

Schools look hit across the board to me.


Except Vanderbilt. :P

And stanford :-)

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Law School Rankings

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:11 am

Mattalones wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf

Schools look hit across the board to me.


Except Vanderbilt. :P

And stanford :-)


Points taken, but nothing on that chart or any employment statistics I've see anywhere, point to any sort change in hiring practices to grant preference to regional schools instead of national schools. One idea that definitely is true from what I've heard/seen, is that networking is even more important now than it was before.
Last edited by flyingpanda on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Law School Rankings

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 am

Deceptive title...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mjb447 and 7 guests