Jesus, another "Help! Help Me!" thread

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Fark-o-vision

Jesus, another "Help! Help Me!" thread

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:45 am

All right, so I have some tough decisions to make. People on here have made me significantly worried enough that I don't want to reveal specific numbers, but I'll deal in generalities. I have the choice of doing USD with some cash, although not a lot, offered, or Loyola at full tuition for Southern California. I have an Uncle and a Cousin, both of who are practicing in the legal field, that think I'd be a dummy not to take Loyola at sticker, especially if I want to stay in LA. They seem to be under the impression that opportunities for Loyola grads are limitless in the LA area.

I sort of want to practice in Indianapolis and am considering IUPUI with some serious money. I love the city itself and think that I could really be happy there in the long run. So, given that I don't particularly care for biglaw, but am looking for good career prospects after graduation, do you think I should take a little money at San Diego, the sticker at Loyola, or flee across the country to IUPUI.

The final decision is to wait a year, and apply ED at Northwestern. My numbers are iffy for the school, very iffy, but would t14 be worth the wait, with the possibility that I'd be in the same boat next year?

An answer where Northwestern is, and is not, considered would be ideal.

jmaan

Re: Jesus, another "Help! Help Me!" thread

Postby jmaan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:50 am

Waiting a year and a jump from lmu to northwestern seems pretty unrealistic unless u plan on retaking or something...i'd just go with loyola or if u do plan on retaking then hold off till next year and re-apply..re-evaluate ur options and don't limit urself to northwestern

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:53 am

I should state that I come from a somewhat academic background. I entered this cycle in a frenzy and decided that I would apply to schools that I thought would be good scholarship opportunities for me. I've had a long-term interest in the law, but I really expected my family members to fill me in when the time was appropriate. Now, I doubt their judgement. My numbers are better than the schools indicate, and my scholarships were greatly affected (it seems) by the time frame of my application.

Not that the members of my family have poor judgement. I just wonder if they're outside the current economic conditions.

Edit: for clarity.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:58 am

In order to give real advice I'd need ur numbers..just from what I've seen..most ppl who get t14 get close to full scholarship at usd and loyola..but as u said ur apps were late so I don't know....if u don't want to share numbers here..do this..go to law school predictor and plug ur numbers in...if u get a strong consider at northwestern then it's probably worththe wait...also northwesterns big on work experience so if u have it the there's another reason if u don't..ud probably need numbers higher than their medians

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:06 am

yeah, I'm not into posting specifics, but I will say that I've gotten better offers from similar universities that I'm not considering because of regional/job prospect concerns. San Diego had a paperwork mix up, and Loyola was done at the insistence of family. Let's say, for the purpose of this game, I'm 60/40 out at Northwestern, although I'm considering an LSAT retake.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:27 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:yeah, I'm not into posting specifics, but I will say that I've gotten better offers from similar universities that I'm not considering because of regional/job prospect concerns. San Diego had a paperwork mix up, and Loyola was done at the insistence of family. Let's say, for the purpose of this game, I'm 60/40 out at Northwestern, although I'm considering an LSAT retake.

Even if you don't want to post specifics, you can give at least a range which would allow people to offer informed advice, i.e. 3.4-3.6, 172-174. Right now the questions you've asked are really difficult to answer w/o knowing more.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:32 am

Fair enough. I have a 3.6 (within a quarter point, either way) and a 172-175. I also have pretty significant work experience, some all right softs, and a couple good rec's.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:36 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:Fair enough. I have a 3.6 (within a quarter point, either way) and a 172-175. I also have pretty significant work experience, some all right softs, and a couple good rec's.

haha this makes a huge difference...definately wait and don't Ed at northwestern either

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:40 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:Fair enough. I have a 3.6 (within a quarter point, either way) and a 172-175. I also have pretty significant work experience, some all right softs, and a couple good rec's.

ummm, wait and year and reapply. If that is your range, I don't quite understand how you think your numbers are iffy for Northwestern. I have a similar range and I considered Northwestern one of my "safer" targets (and I was accepted). If you have significant w/e, you should be in very good shape. You should actually be in decent shape for Chicago too, if you need to stay in the city.

Paying sticker at a non-T10 school with those #'s would be a mistake in my opinion. (And you should have a good shot at money at schools in the T10, Northwestern included).

The only reason I could see for going ED at NU is that you absolutely must stay in city of Chicago and you don't want to whiff on both Chicago and NU. Even if that is the situation, I would consider doing ED at Chicago and just reg dec at NU. The odds are in your favor of getting accepted to at least one.

http://www.hourumd.com/?school=Northwes ... at=172-175
http://www.hourumd.com/?school=Universi ... at=172-175

Return to “Choosing a Law School”