BC Law, Tulane or Lewis & Clark

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
austinite13

BC Law, Tulane or Lewis & Clark

Postby austinite13 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Okay, I know this is probably a no brainer but I am interested in Environmental Law but want to keep my options open. Should I go for top ranking BC Law, Tulane or Lewis & Clark with $$. I am married with kids so this will be a big investment.

keg411

Re: BC Law, Tulane or Lewis & Clark

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:45 pm

austinite13 wrote:Okay, I know this is probably a no brainer but I am interested in Environmental Law but want to keep my options open. Should I go for top ranking BC Law, Tulane or Lewis & Clark with $$. I am married with kids so this will be a big investment.

1) Where do you live now?
2) Where does your family want to live in the future?

The legal field is regional, so regional preference > specialty interest. Considering you have a family, you will probably need to figure this out very quickly.

austinite13

Postby austinite13 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:54 pm

I live in Austin, Tx now and my wife wife is a fan of Portland, not New Orleans and is open to Boston. BC was a stretch for me to get into and feel like it may open more doors than Lewis & Clark. Thoughts.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:34 pm

While I find myself trolling for Tulane a lot recently, unless you have a regional preference I would say BU. BU has a stated median starting salary of 160k. While that number is suspect, whatever the truth is it is much, much better than Tulane or L&C.

This also depends if you have gotten $$ from Tulane. If you have not then BU hands down (tho if you got into BU then I suspect you at least got the 20k or 25k schor at Tulane).

In Summery:
If you want to go back to TX then Tulane is prob your best bet. If you decide you want to work in Portland than L&C. And if you want the best opportunity and/or Boston then go BC

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:25 pm

gwuorbust wrote:While I find myself trolling for Tulane a lot recently, unless you have a regional preference I would say BU. BU has a stated median starting salary of 160k. While that number is suspect, whatever the truth is it is much, much better than Tulane or L&C.

This also depends if you have gotten $$ from Tulane. If you have not then BU hands down (tho if you got into BU then I suspect you at least got the 20k or 25k schor at Tulane).

In Summery:
If you want to go back to TX then Tulane is prob your best bet. If you decide you want to work in Portland than L&C. And if you want the best opportunity and/or Boston then go BC

BC hands down (assuming you want to work in Boston/ New England and can relocate.) Of course the 160,000 median is suspect.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:46 pm

What, no poll? :wink:

I like both Tulane and L&C. But if you're married with kids, you need options after graduation. I'd go with BC. Besides, I hear BC will open doors to the senate as well as Cosmo male modeling gigs.

Ghost Writer

Postby Ghost Writer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Go to BC. It will open more doors for you.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Tulane is obviously out on account of your wife's disfavor for NOLA. If you are debt averse, go to L&C (you will save money and your wife will be happy in Portland). If you don't mind a ton of extra debt if it means having access to biglaw, go to BC. So, I think it comes down to your career aspirations. I'm leaning toward L&C because of your wife's geographic preference and your interest in Enviro. Personally, I would not pay sticker at BC unless I wanted to work in PI, which you very well may.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”