UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

where to go?

UConn (instate plus $5K)
18
35%
Temple ($12K)
8
16%
Tulane ($20K)
14
27%
Penn State ($20K)
1
2%
Indiana ($15K)
10
20%
 
Total votes: 51

chisoxfan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:30 pm

UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby chisoxfan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Help me make a choice? UConn is the cheapest option (by far, as I can live rent free), but I am looking for the advise of strangers. So cast your vote and let me know if you have any thoughts. Also does anyone know of any first-hand or anecdotal advise regarding negotiating merit aid with any of these schools? Numbers (164, 3.55)

hotdoglaw
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:48 am

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby hotdoglaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:47 pm

I don't want to hijack your post, but did you receive scholarship info from UConn with the acceptance letter or later??

uconn1l
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby uconn1l » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:49 pm

hotdoglaw wrote:I don't want to hijack your post, but did you receive scholarship info from UConn with the acceptance letter or later??


Scholarship information from UConn arrives separately from acceptance letters.

OP I vote for whatever school is in whatever city you most want to practice in.

chisoxfan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby chisoxfan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 pm

uconn1l wrote:OP I vote for whatever school is in whatever city you most want to practice in.


Only slightly part of my problem, I have family in CT but am not tied to that region, but Philadelphia seems like an over-saturated law market in an over-saturated corridor (NYC-Philly-DC). Trying to minimize debt while maximizing possibility of getting a job out of law school... would you say that UConn teaches any sort of philosophical/intellectual approach to law or is it more/strictly practical (i.e. teaching to the bar?). I have heard that the lower ranked schools sometimes lack an intellectual approach (which I've heard Indiana has, but $40K seems like a bit much, when UConn is so cheap)... needless to say, I am struggling with my cost/benefit analysis here. I've been to UConn's campus and prospective student days and things, and think I could be quite happy there, but it seems like the unexciting choice.

dempsey
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby dempsey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:38 pm

I was faced with the same choices last year, excepting Indiana. Firstly, as to your concern that Uconn may lack an intellectual approach, I doubt that is true. It's a fine school, and I happen to know one of the professors there, and if he is any indication of the general quality of the professors there and their proclivities then the more practical aspects of the law will be balanced by the more abstract, academic inquiries. As to your ultimate choice, it really depends upon your goals. Where do you want to settle? What sort of community do you want to be a part of as you attend law school? Is that a concern for you at all? Do you have any sense of what type of law you might want to practice? I chose Tulane, but that may not be the proper choice for you. I can tell you I love New Orleans, it is a remarkable place, and I can actually say that my experience in law school thus far has been rewarding, both substantial and fun. I don't know if that is true of many other places, it may very well be. As to producing a job, well, the market is still devastated, I can't possibly predict what the future market will bear, but all of the schools you are looking at are likely to produce similar results with the qualification that all of them place in different markets.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 pm

All regional, go where you want to practice - cue the Tulane trolls. But seriously, choose by region. I think cheapest is the way to go here.

FREEDOM99
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby FREEDOM99 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:30 pm

You should go to the cheapest one.

chisoxfan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby chisoxfan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:34 am

dempsey wrote:I was faced with the same choices last year, excepting Indiana. Firstly, as to your concern that Uconn may lack an intellectual approach, I doubt that is true. It's a fine school, and I happen to know one of the professors there, and if he is any indication of the general quality of the professors there and their proclivities then the more practical aspects of the law will be balanced by the more abstract, academic inquiries. As to your ultimate choice, it really depends upon your goals. Where do you want to settle? What sort of community do you want to be a part of as you attend law school? Is that a concern for you at all? Do you have any sense of what type of law you might want to practice? I chose Tulane, but that may not be the proper choice for you. I can tell you I love New Orleans, it is a remarkable place, and I can actually say that my experience in law school thus far has been rewarding, both substantial and fun. I don't know if that is true of many other places, it may very well be. As to producing a job, well, the market is still devastated, I can't possibly predict what the future market will bear, but all of the schools you are looking at are likely to produce similar results with the qualification that all of them place in different markets.


Dempsey, I'm glad to hear your opinion of UConn... I don't actually know anyone who is a student there now, so I'm glad to have other, more informed perspectives. I'm interested to hear that you chose Tulane- if you don't mind my asking, where are you currently/hoping to be located geographically? I'll be heading down for the April ASW so hopefully will get a better idea then.

dempsey
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby dempsey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:41 pm

I am not entirely decided as to which region I intend to work. As I mentioned previously, I love New Orleans, and so working here would be very attractive in many ways. But my friends and family live back in Connecticut. I am fortunate enough to have some substantial contacts in the Northeast, mostly flowing from my family, so it is likely I will return there. Absent those contacts however, I don't know how well the Tulane degree would place me in the Connecticut market, and it is still very possible that I will struggle to find a job there regardless. There is an ongoing debate on TLS about the portability of the Tulane degree, a pretty polarized one at that. I tend to think both sides overstate their case. Prior to the economic deterioration, and given a strong performance at the school, the degree seemed to travel surprisingly well. That may very well have been the result of students simply returning home, but nonetheless, Tulane Law enabled its better students to penetrate several markets. I just don't know that that is very possible anymore however. Anecdotally, prior to making my ultimate determination to attend Tulane I spoke to a few lawyers who all spoke highly of Tulane and expressed a preference for it as opposed to my other alternatives. I still am pretty convinced that Tulane is a strong regional school with some portability given a fortunate confluence of circumstances (performance, connections, etc.) Anyway, this is a roundabout response, I am just trying to give a broader reply rather than the often curt and not always helpful responses on this board. If you have any other questions about Tulane I would be happy to answer them, and I will try to give as fair a picture of the school as I can, while admitting that I am pretty taken with the place and no doubt biased.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:54 pm

From your last e-mail, it sounds like you want to live and work in Connecticut to be near your family/friends and this is where you have connections. Rather than rely on a Tulane or IU-B degree to get you back there -- just go to UConn. I know you say you don't care, but everything else in your post seems to point to wanting to go back to Connecticut.

None of these schools are national. Law just isn't a particularly national field; it's regional and local.

chisoxfan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby chisoxfan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:54 pm

All the comments are appreciated. I think I'm leaning towards UConn. Really in this economy, it scares me so much taking out $100K+ in debt and coming out with no sure future... just gives me dry heaves. Not that I'll have a sure future anywhere, but if I minimize my debt, at least I'll have less to pay back on the other end. Free rent and cheap tuition for a decent education seems unbeatable to me.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Blindmelon wrote:All regional, go where you want to practice - cue the Tulane trolls. But seriously, choose by region. I think cheapest is the way to go here.



There are Tulane trolls?

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby twert » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:07 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:All regional, go where you want to practice - cue the Tulane trolls. But seriously, choose by region. I think cheapest is the way to go here.



There are Tulane trolls?

some people insist Tulane has national reach.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:12 pm

twert wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:All regional, go where you want to practice - cue the Tulane trolls. But seriously, choose by region. I think cheapest is the way to go here.



There are Tulane trolls?

some people insist Tulane has national reach.


I assume you disagree, but by how much?

I think you can get a job outside of LA if you are in the top and/or have connections... but I do not think that it is as much as some people on here seem to think: I CAN GET A JOB ANYWERE!!

chisoxfan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: UConn v. Temple/PSU v. Tulane v. Indiana

Postby chisoxfan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:46 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
twert wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:All regional, go where you want to practice - cue the Tulane trolls. But seriously, choose by region. I think cheapest is the way to go here.



There are Tulane trolls?

some people insist Tulane has national reach.


I assume you disagree, but by how much?

I think you can get a job outside of LA if you are in the top and/or have connections... but I do not think that it is as much as some people on here seem to think: I CAN GET A JOB ANYWERE!!


It appears that in better times, the degree has more portability than some schools of equal rank. I think that's pretty much it...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests