Best schools for JAG?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
guinness85

Best schools for JAG?

Postby guinness85 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Obviously less debt is better. And if you get out of JAG and want a biglaw firm job you will want the most prestigious school that you can get in to. But how much of a factor is law school rank/prestige in JAG acceptance?

Bronte

Re: Best schools for JAG?

Postby Bronte » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:29 pm

In the "Military Law" thread it's stated that JAG may qualify for LRAP. To the extent that you can figure out if this is true or not before matriculation, debt may be less of an issue. As far as prestige, it's also stated in that thread that JAG is very competitive in terms of admission. To what extent institutional prestige plays into this, I couldn't say.

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:31 am

I would say institutional prestige plays a huge factor in Navy and Air Force, and I think to a slightly lesser degree USMC (where the Marines weigh physical/psychological fortitude as a contributing factor for the selection process as USMC JAGs actually go through the real officer candidate school like any other officer...) From what I have read, the Army is the least selective, although there is certainly a physical component there, as well.

This is to say that the Marines, like any other branch, would want a YLS grad, but they'd probably rather take a UCLA grad if he/she demonstrates an exceptional physical fitness level while attaining similar grades. This may not be the case for Air Force or Navy. Again, this is all speculation from what I have absorbed on the subject.

Going down the totem pole of law schools, I'd say that anyone who attended a school ranked outside the top 100 would require phenomenal grades to be accepted to Navy or Air Force, unless they have other strong qualities (like prior service or past public service employment, possibly?) An exception may be if you are trying to get into a local JAG office that is very familiar with your law school... not sure.

This is all opinion on my part, but I feel it is not out of place. I hope it helped somewhat.

guinness85

Postby guinness85 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:25 pm

I found this on the FAQ page of the AF JAG site: --LinkRemoved--

I wonder if the list includes all branches of the military, or just air force? If it's just AF, then they seem to accept from pretty much anywhere.

Maybe I shoud place a call to the recruiter? I am just trying to decide which school to attend this fall.

Thanks everybody!

Gish

Postby Gish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:01 pm

I don't think school prestige is a factor at all in any of the services. There are Judge Advocates from every school from the bottom to the top in all Services. In my opinion, the application process to join the JAG Corps will determine what applicants are truly dedicated to public service in the military. The interviews you will conduct and experiences during internships are what will determine if you get a recommendation from a Staff Judge Advocate for your nomination. The name of your school hardly matters.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:04 pm

I want to vote for UVA based on general proximity, and the fact that you can take classes at the JAG school.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:00 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:13 pm

guinness85 wrote:Maybe I shoud place a call to the recruiter? I am just trying to decide which school to attend this fall.

This is probably TCR.

I do know a Navy JAG who told me that it seemed like the folks they selected over the last 2 years seemed to proportianately be coming from more prestigous schools than they had in the past.

guinness85

Postby guinness85 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
guinness85 wrote:Maybe I shoud place a call to the recruiter? I am just trying to decide which school to attend this fall.

This is probably TCR.

I do know a Navy JAG who told me that it seemed like the folks they selected over the last 2 years seemed to proportianately be coming from more prestigous schools than they had in the past.

Perhaps because there aren't as many oportunities elsewhere given the economy?

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:35 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:
daddymike wrote:I would say institutional prestige plays a huge factor in Navy and Air Force, and I think to a slightly lesser degree USMC (where the Marines weigh physical/psychological fortitude as a contributing factor for the selection process as USMC JAGs actually go through the real officer candidate school like any other officer...) From what I have read, the Army is the least selective, although there is certainly a physical component there, as well.

This is to say that the Marines, like any other branch, would want a YLS grad, but they'd probably rather take a UCLA grad if he/she demonstrates an exceptional physical fitness level while attaining similar grades. This may not be the case for Air Force or Navy. Again, this is all speculation from what I have absorbed on the subject.

Going down the totem pole of law schools, I'd say that anyone who attended a school ranked outside the top 100 would require phenomenal grades to be accepted to Navy or Air Force, unless they have other strong qualities (like prior service or past public service employment, possibly?) An exception may be if you are trying to get into a local JAG office that is very familiar with your law school... not sure.
This is all opinion on my part, but I feel it is not out of place. I hope it helped somewhat.

What are you basing this on? I actually hope you are correct here, just want to know where you got it from, because as was noted the AF lists over 150+ schools.

My guess is the above is just guessing. You don't apply for a specific JAG office. Well at least in the AF, you apply to become an AF JAG and if accepted, you'll fill out a "wish list" of bases you'd like to be assigned to. Emphasis on the word "wish"...

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:47 pm

guinness85 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

This is probably TCR.

Perhaps because there aren't as many oportunities elsewhere given the economy?

That would be my guess. That person's statement to me would indicate the following may be occurring, T6 student can't get biglaw, T6 student gets JAG, student from less prestigous school gets displaced. Granted, this is based on one person's semi-related non specific comment.

Let us know what the recruiter tells you.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 pm

guinness85 wrote:I found this on the FAQ page of the AF JAG site: --LinkRemoved--

I wonder if the list includes all branches of the military, or just air force? If it's just AF, then they seem to accept from pretty much anywhere.

Maybe I shoud place a call to the recruiter? I am just trying to decide which school to attend this fall.

Thanks everybody!

This list tells me three things. 1) U Chi kids are greedy 2) NYU kids are liberal 3) No one loves a Cornell grad.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:22 am

Gish wrote:I don't think school prestige is a factor at all in any of the services. There are Judge Advocates from every school from the bottom to the top in all Services. In my opinion, the application process to join the JAG Corps will determine what applicants are truly dedicated to public service in the military. The interviews you will conduct and experiences during internships are what will determine if you get a recommendation from a Staff Judge Advocate for your nomination. The name of your school hardly matters.

This is my impression as well. I've heard that your school name doesn't really matter but you have to graduate at the top of your class and show dedication to to public service to qualify.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 am

irishman86 wrote:
Gish wrote:I don't think school prestige is a factor at all in any of the services. There are Judge Advocates from every school from the bottom to the top in all Services. In my opinion, the application process to join the JAG Corps will determine what applicants are truly dedicated to public service in the military. The interviews you will conduct and experiences during internships are what will determine if you get a recommendation from a Staff Judge Advocate for your nomination. The name of your school hardly matters.

This is my impression as well. I've heard that your school name doesn't really matter but you have to graduate at the top of your class and show dedication to to public service to qualify.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but do you think that the JAG's from UVA, GULC and Columbia had a comparable class rank to the JAG(s) from U of Baltimore?

Gish

Postby Gish » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 pm

It's hard to say with class rank. It probably would average out that people at higher ranked schools had lower class ranks who are in the JAG corps. That assumption is based on the fact that in comparison the jobs being offered to the Top of the class at UVA, GULC, Columbia pay a bit more then the top of the class at Baltimore. A JAG salary is more competitive with the Baltimore top grad on average. Some people are truly motivated to serve in the military, but I'm sure some make the decision based on the pay.

However, I also think that it is much more important to display the proper attitude in your application and interviews. A top 10% of the class law student obviously treating JAG as a backup is going to get beat out by the middle of the class applicant who truly wants to be in the military.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”