Brooklyn and BigLaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
blsingindisguise

Re: Brooklyn and BigLaw

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:00 pm

A'nold wrote:I've never understood all of the Brooklyn hate on this site. Cardozo gets a free pass compared to Brooklyn (even though there are critics of both) on here for some reason. I've known people to get crazy awesome jobs from Brooklyn and it places really well for its rank if you think about it. If you are there on $$ or above, I don't really see why it gets all of this hate. Sure, a 10% chance at the job you want is not great, but that's the situation many of us find ourselves in in most of the schools across the country. I get that NYC is very oversaturated, but I mean if you are willing to take a risk at a lower ranked school, this one (once again w/ $$ or above) seems like a good choice, actually.

I think this is a key misunderstanding that goes on a lot on this board. It has nothing to do with "hate". Although I agree with you that there's basically no difference between attending Cardozo or Brooklyn in terms of your job prospects. No employer cares if Cardozo is "a school on the rise" or that it broke the top 50 - it's still assumed that students of about the same class rank coming out of BLS or Dozo will be at about the same level. There's almost no difference in placement.

But back to my larger point - it isn't that people "hate" T2s. People who knock T2s on this site are just messengers - it's LAW FIRMS who are elitist, not the posters. People are simply trying to make it clear how difficult it is coming out of these schools. When you're in NYC not only are you in an oversaturated market but you're also in a high COL city and you're spilling out into possibly the highest-pressure job market in the country. Paying 100k plus in debt is really hard in this city, and you work longer hours and are expected to produce more and insecurity is probably greater as well because of competition.

BTW it's not even 10% chance anymore - more like 5%.

reasonable_man

Re: Brooklyn and BigLaw

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:34 am

blsingindisguise wrote:
A'nold wrote:I've never understood all of the Brooklyn hate on this site. Cardozo gets a free pass compared to Brooklyn (even though there are critics of both) on here for some reason. I've known people to get crazy awesome jobs from Brooklyn and it places really well for its rank if you think about it. If you are there on $$ or above, I don't really see why it gets all of this hate. Sure, a 10% chance at the job you want is not great, but that's the situation many of us find ourselves in in most of the schools across the country. I get that NYC is very oversaturated, but I mean if you are willing to take a risk at a lower ranked school, this one (once again w/ $$ or above) seems like a good choice, actually.

I think this is a key misunderstanding that goes on a lot on this board. It has nothing to do with "hate". Although I agree with you that there's basically no difference between attending Cardozo or Brooklyn in terms of your job prospects. No employer cares if Cardozo is "a school on the rise" or that it broke the top 50 - it's still assumed that students of about the same class rank coming out of BLS or Dozo will be at about the same level. There's almost no difference in placement.

But back to my larger point - it isn't that people "hate" T2s. People who knock T2s on this site are just messengers - it's LAW FIRMS who are elitist, not the posters. People are simply trying to make it clear how difficult it is coming out of these schools. When you're in NYC not only are you in an oversaturated market but you're also in a high COL city and you're spilling out into possibly the highest-pressure job market in the country. Paying 100k plus in debt is really hard in this city, and you work longer hours and are expected to produce more and insecurity is probably greater as well because of competition.

BTW it's not even 10% chance anymore - more like 5%.

Cardozo is just as big of a piece of shit as Dozo. Your chances at the job you want are 10% or LESS, which means that 90% of the customers purchasing a degree from either school will be left very unhappy with the product they bought. That's pretty bad in any consumer sector. Even Toyota has more satisfied customers at this point and those suckers can kill ya.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”