Fordham (sticker) vs. Indiana (45k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham (sticker)
35%
Indiana (45k)
65%

Total votes: 40

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:32 pm

I know that Indiana is a few spots ahead of Fordham in the US News rankings, but, from what I've heard, it seems that Fordham is considerably underrated while Indiana is kind of overrated, especially when it comes to nlj 250 placement:
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf

I'm not deadset on nlj 250 or anything, but it would be nice to have that option if I manage to make it to the top of the class. I also have a 60k offer from Loyola-Chicago, which may be worth considering. I'm hoping to get off the waitlist at Illinois or Notre Dame, but, barring that, it's probably gonna be between Indiana (45k) and Fordham (sticker.) So, thoughts?

BiteyTLS

Re: Fordham (sticker) vs. Indiana (45k)

Postby BiteyTLS » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:16 am

Are you in-state? What would Indiana's total cost of attendance?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:29 am

Would you rather work in New York City after you graduate, or in the Midwest?

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 am

BiteyTLS wrote:Are you in-state? What would Indiana's total cost of attendance?

I'm not in-state, but obviously Indiana's COL is way lower than NYC's so I have to consider that. Overall, Indiana would cost about 116k over three years, while Fordham will cost about 195k, so Indiana would be about 80k cheaper. I've already contacted Fordham and tried to negotiate a scholarship, using the Indiana offer as leverage, but they won't budge. I've heard they can't afford too many scholarships.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:44 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:Would you rather work in New York City after you graduate, or in the Midwest?

I'm not terribly picky, but I am slightly partial toward the Midwest, especially Chicago. I know that Fordham is not very portable, and I am also worried about Indiana's placement in Chicago, which is why I would rather attend Illinois or ND if I get off the waitlist.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:47 am

Heh. I made this decision last year. Too busy now, I'll have to come back and offer input another time.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:50 am

Bankhead wrote:Heh. I made this decision last year. Too busy now, I'll have to come back and offer input another time.

To clarify, Bankhead ended up at Indiana.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:50 am

Someone once told me that "people at Fordham just get work," but I assume that person was talking about NY. The person who told me this transferred to Colombia after the first year and was speaking at a law forum on Colombia's behalf.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:58 am

jarofsoup wrote:Someone once told me that "people at Fordham just get work," but I assume that person was talking about NY. The person who told me this transferred to Colombia after the first year and was speaking at a law forum on Colombia's behalf.

what does it mean to "just get work"?

Snuffie

Postby Snuffie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:00 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:Would you rather work in New York City after you graduate, or in the Midwest?

I'm not terribly picky, but I am slightly partial toward the Midwest, especially Chicago. I know that Fordham is not very portable, and I am also worried about Indiana's placement in Chicago, which is why I would rather attend Illinois or ND if I get off the waitlist.

Awesome avatar. Hope you start a law blog one day, Bob.

So you prefer the Midwest. You're being offered money to study in the Midwest. What was the question again?

Snuffie

Postby Snuffie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:02 am

timertimer61 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Someone once told me that "people at Fordham just get work," but I assume that person was talking about NY. The person who told me this transferred to Colombia after the first year and was speaking at a law forum on Colombia's behalf.

what does it mean to "just get work"?

That cracked me up. It's kind of like saying that a scrub 'just gets laid.'

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:04 am

Really tough decision. Both are too much debt.

I would really try to push Indiana into giving you more money. We have rather similar numbers, and yet for some ungodly reason I ended up being selected for a full ride.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 am

Snuffie wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

Awesome avatar. Hope you start a law blog one day, Bob.

So you prefer the Midwest. You're being offered money to study in the Midwest. What was the question again?

Haha, thanks. Despite what I said earlier about preferring the Midwest, I don't really care that much where I end up, as long as I can get a decent job. That's why I'm even considering Fordham at all. They seem to have better placement in NY than Indiana does in the Midwest.

Does anybody know what's up with Indiana's absence from the NLJ go-to law school rankings? It's not even in the top 50, so it must send less than 13% of its graduates to nlj250 firms. Even Loyola-Chicago and Chicago-Kent made the list, but Indiana is nowhere to be seen. Fordham kicks ass in this area. This is the main thing that concerns me regarding this decision.
Source: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
Last edited by fenderjsm88 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:17 am

BiteyTLS wrote:Really tough decision. Both are too much debt.

I would really try to push Indiana into giving you more money. We have rather similar numbers, and yet for some ungodly reason I ended up being selected for a full ride.

Yeah, that would be ideal. Fordham is offering me a generous scholarship of 0k/year, however, and I haven't been accepted into any higher-ranked schools, so I have no leverage. But, then again, my numbers are around their 75th percentiles, so they may be willing to give me a little more if it will sway me into attending.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 pm

so im guessing job prospects coming out of fordham will be better, but by how much?

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:42 am

bump

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Looks like Fordham is catching up in the poll. Great, now the consensus is even more ambiguous haha.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”