W&L vs. Temple

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

W&L or Temple

Poll ended at Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:36 pm

W&L
47%
Temple
53%

Total votes: 19

SpaceDawg

W&L vs. Temple

Postby SpaceDawg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Temple in-state tuition plus 5k/yr = @ 11k/yr

W&L - 35k/yr plus 6k/yr scholly = @29k/yr

Background: I live in Philly now and my husband has a FT job here - no kiddies, just kitties. His work is project-oriented and his work won't always necessarily be in Philly. His job is headquartered in the DC metro region. I do like Philly and will most likely end up in the Mid-Atlantic region or overseas after school. I want to do Public Interest stuff with kids/immigrants/human trafficking. I would like to do a clerkship right after school.

My concerns:

1. W&L is much more expensive, but would I be turning down a great opportunity if I don't go?
2. I may have to relocate alone at first
3. Does W&L offer enough in Public Interest and clinicals?
4. Job prospects if I graduate from Temple
5. My husband is a city boy so not sure how he would do in rural VA. However he is super chill and a homebody and said he would be fine anywhere. Plus, it's only 3 years, right?

SpaceDawg

Re: W&L vs. Temple

Postby SpaceDawg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Bump. Pretty please?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:47 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:Temple in-state tuition plus 5k/yr = @ 11k/yr

Background: I live in Philly now and my husband has a FT job here - no kiddies, just kitties. His work is project-oriented and his work won't always necessarily be in Philly. His job is headquartered in the DC metro region. I do like Philly and will most likely end up in the Mid-Atlantic region or overseas after school. I want to do Public Interest stuff with kids/immigrants/human trafficking. I would like to do a clerkship right after school.

My concerns:

1. W&L is much more expensive, but would I be turning down a great opportunity if I don't go?
5. My husband is a city boy so not sure how he would do in rural VA. However he is super chill and a homebody and said he would be fine anywhere. Plus, it's only 3 years, right?

1. No.
2. okay....
3. I really wouldn't know
4. About the same was Washington and Lee (3% less in big law)
5. Yes, unless you do a joint degree.

I'm not sure if you are looking for an objective opinion since your number 5 is geared towards Washington and Lee.

ragnarok545

Postby ragnarok545 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi, I'm facing a sort of similar dilemma (William and Mary vs. Temple) and although the circumstances are different, a lot of people offered interesting insight on a forum I posted a few weeks ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105952

To sum it up, if your comfortable with the idea of staying close to or in Philly to practice and/or debt adverse, Temple should receive a strong preference. Otherwise, go with Washington and Lee.

Good luck with your decision!

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:18 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:Temple in-state tuition plus 5k/yr = @ 11k/yr

My concerns:

1. No.
2. okay....
3. I really wouldn't know
4. About the same was Washington and Lee (3% less in big law)
5. Yes, unless you do a joint degree.

I'm not sure if you are looking for an objective opinion since your number 5 is geared towards Washington and Lee.

You're right. #5 is really city vs. rural. I am not concerned about the 3% advantage in big law because that is not my ultimate goal. I'm really more interested on which gives me a better shot at a good clerkship.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:26 pm

ragnarok545 wrote:Hi, I'm facing a sort of similar dilemma (William and Mary vs. Temple) and although the circumstances are different, a lot of people offered interesting insight on a forum I posted a few weeks ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105952

To sum it up, if your comfortable with the idea of staying close to or in Philly to practice and/or debt adverse, Temple should receive a strong preference. Otherwise, go with Washington and Lee.

Good luck with your decision!

Thank you! That post was definitely informative. I am somewhat debt averse because I don't plan to pursue big law. And I have moved so much in my life that staying in Philly isn't a necessity for me, although it would make it easier since I already live here.

I went to W&M undergrad and loved it. The campus is fantastic and the undergrads and graduate school students are both very collegial. Also, the students take the honor system very seriously. Coming from that environment, like you, I am also worried that it will just not be the same at Temple. Good luck with your decision as well!

Simpler Times

Postby Simpler Times » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 am

Just as a heads up, W&L is fairly politically conservative (you mentioned public interest - it's my understanding that this isn't as big of a deal at W&L the way it is at other schools.)

I've never heard anything bad about Temple, and it's honestly the only T2 I seriously considered attending. W&L on the other hand seems to be slightly overrated.

Also, consider cost of living. Your husband and you sharing a house/apartment will put a very nice dent into your total debt.

Don't be a slave to USNWR, both are great schools. If the economy recovers you will be fine coming out of either one.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:29 am

Simpler Times wrote:Just as a heads up, W&L is fairly politically conservative (you mentioned public interest - it's my understanding that this isn't as big of a deal at W&L the way it is at other schools.)

I've never heard anything bad about Temple, and it's honestly the only T2 I seriously considered attending. W&L on the other hand seems to be slightly overrated.

Also, consider cost of living. Your husband and you sharing a house/apartment will put a very nice dent into your total debt.

Don't be a slave to USNWR, both are great schools. If the economy recovers you will be fine coming out of either one.

Thanks, ST. You're right about the total debt bit. And I definitely don't want rankings to be the major influence on my decision. I've heard great things about Temple too. And the faculty looks pretty solid. I'm looking for professors who have some experience with human rights and Chinese law and it looks like Temple might be stronger in that arena. I am going to visit W&L in March, so that may be something that helps sway my final decision.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”