Minnesota Schools - Which to choose?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
krzyzewski

Minnesota Schools - Which to choose?

Postby krzyzewski » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Okay, here is my dilemma...

I am going to be entering law school in the Fall of 2010, but I am conflicted as to where I should attend. I have narrowed my options down to the following:

William Mitchell: 90% scholly
St. Thomas: 100% scholly
Iowa: Sticker
Wisconsin: Sticker with Minnesota reciprocity tuition rate (Haven't heard yet but I'd anticipate this being the case)
Minnesota: Waitlisted... :(

Upon graduation I'd like to work in Minnesota since I have lived here all my life and love it except for January and February. What should I do? Financially speaking, the local TTT schools make much more sense to avoid the massive burden of debt. However, my numbers and my vanity suggest that I belong at a more prestigious school.

Any advice as to where I should go and why?

Thanks...

amped

Re: Minnesota Schools - Which to choose?

Postby amped » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:21 pm

krzyzewski wrote:Okay, here is my dilemma...

I am going to be entering law school in the Fall of 2010, but I am conflicted as to where I should attend. I have narrowed my options down to the following:

Wisconsin: Sticker with Minnesota reciprocity tuition rate (Haven't heard yet but I'd anticipate this being the case)

Upon graduation I'd like to work in Minnesota since I have lived here all my life and love it except for January and February. What should I do? Financially speaking, the local TTT schools make much more sense to avoid the massive burden of debt. However, my numbers and my vanity suggest that I belong at a more prestigious school.

Thanks...

What are your post-grad goals (i.e., do you want to work for the biggest of big firms in Minnesota)? Or do you want to practice omgyougothitbyabigtruckandyousawmyadontv-law?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:24 pm

No Ham?

krzyzewski

Postby krzyzewski » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:54 am

Aberzombie1892 - No Hamline. Just didn't get a good feel from looking at it or word of mouth. Not saying it's not a good school, just how I felt about it.

amped - Haha! I'm still working that out, but probably somewhere between those two options. While I'd love the salary and lifestyle of the biggest firms, I'm not sure I'm willing to commit my every waking moment to work. I know that sounds vague and poorly thought out, but it's honestly where I'm at right now...

twert

Postby twert » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:57 am

wisconsin in state is a pretty good deal. otherwise mitchell

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:31 pm

As a Minnesotan who knows several lawyers working in Minnesota, there are really only two options, and they are both great options if you want to stay in state. U of MN and Mitchell. I realize that people here will look down on Mitchell, but I have very good insight into MN law schools and job prospects. MY mother is a 30 year long county attorney in MN, went to Mitchell, and interviews people from all of the MN schools all of the time. My sister went to Mitchell and got a job at one of the top corporate firms in downtown MPLS and had a great career before leaving to become a mom. She also did a lot of interviewing. A good family friend of ours went to Penn and now works for a big, well respected MPLS firm...and agrees that Mitchell and MN are the only way to go. They wont even interview people from Hamline or St. Thomas...but they LOVE Mitchell grads in MN. Love them. It may not be ranked like people on these boards think is necessary, but I have about 5-7 friends who recently went there and are doing quite well -- in MN.

So I say, if you are staying in MN, Mitchell and the U of M are great options. If you plan to leave, then you have probably got to get in the U of M....

Also, if you are staying in MN, I would suggest having it paid for or at least a large scholly. St. Thomas had no business opening up a 4th law school in that market and it is now way overcrowded...

Feel free to PM if you want any more info...

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:47 pm

krzyzewski wrote:Okay, here is my dilemma...

Thanks...

Wisconsin with the $10,000+ shaved off of the sticker price (Minnesota citizens tuition rate) by far.

Being from Minnesota, you will have no problem getting back there from Wisconsin and it is one of the strongest schools in the midwest for big law placement (and it won't be unreasonably expensive for you).

I don't see any reasoning to go to any other school than Wisconsin. The only thing that would possibly change this would be a getting into U of Minn. Even then, you already have connections to that state so you wouldn't necessarily have to attend U of Minn to be competitive in the job markets there.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:02 pm

...one more thing to add. If it helps you with your vanity issue... ;) (and believe me, I DO understand)...my sis who I referenced above, who went to Mitchell...had a near perfect LSAT score (I don't remember the number because it was the old scale, but I think would have been a 178 today (i.e. 2 below perfect)...and was pre-med at Macalester.

So it is OK to go to a school like Mitchell if you are SMART! Lots of people there are. And they get VERY GOOD JOBS at great MPLS firms and elsewhere.

If you are debt-averse and want to stay in MN, I highly recommend it, if you are OK with some debt, living in Madison would rock...(and if you choose to practice in WI you wont have to take the bar exam...always a plus!)

A good family friend, who is a judge in MN, said that right now he would not pay a dime to go to law school (i.e. he would only go where the money is). The economy and the situation is just such a mess. (Not saying I am going to follow this, but it is one thing to think about...) Wisconsin with the reciprocity is still not cheap...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”