Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Burger in a can » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Ok I have crunched some numbers and realized that I was being too hasty with my first estimates.

In a best-case scenario, the cost to attend Rutgers would be a total of $31,500. (if I can indeed get NJ residency for 1L, and I can maintain my scholarship for all three years.)

In a worst-case scenario, it would cost $67,500 (if I can't get NJ residency for 1L, and if I lose my merit aid after 1L)

UConn would cost $61,300 no matter what.

Again, not interested in BigLaw or NYC. Equally happy in either region. Does this change any of your minds?
Last edited by Burger in a can on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Snuffie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Snuffie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:48 am

Burger in a can wrote:Rutgers-Newark for $3,500/year versus UConn for $20,000/year. Not shooting for NYC or biglaw- just want a job. Which would you choose?


Based on what you've said, Rutgers by a wide margin.

User avatar
thepcv
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby thepcv » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:27 am

Everything else being equal, I think I'd say Rutgers. But I also think it somewhat depends on WHERE you think you might want to work afterward. Rutgers if you really aren't too concerned about it, but if you want to be in NE, then UConn would probably be the better bet.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks! Anyone else?

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby underachiever » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 am

Rutgers....a damn good legal education for 10.5K, respected in the state, if your okay with living in NJ.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:33 am

Not that this necessarily matters, but I was flipping through Cravath's attorney search and saw a surprisingly large number of Rutgers grads standing out in the sea of Harvard and Columbia.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:57 am

Snuffie wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Rutgers-Newark for $3,500/year versus UConn for $20,000/year. Not shooting for NYC or biglaw- just want a job. Which would you choose?


Based on what you've said, Rutgers by a wide margin.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:57 am

Congrats on the great scholarship! RU RU RU RU!

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:12 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Congrats on the great scholarship! RU RU RU RU!


Yeah. Um, this. Seriously, good job! Rutgers all the way.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:57 pm

No votes for UConn, eh?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby keg411 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:08 pm

Burger in a can wrote:No votes for UConn, eh?


Money > Rankings and people tend to like Rutgers on this board.
Seriously, though, your scholarship is nothing to laugh at unless you want to pay $60k to live in Connecticut.

My ONLY concern to you would be: did Rutgers put a grad stipulation on your scholarship? If so, what is it? (Top 1/3, Top 50%, etc.). If you lost you scholarship would you still prefer working in NJ to Conn/NE in which case you'd be paying more for Rutgers 2L/3L years?

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:45 pm

keg411 wrote:Money > Rankings and people tend to like Rutgers on this board.

Also, there is the fact that rankings outside the T30 are, for all practical purposes, virtually meaningless.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby keg411 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:10 pm

mistergoft wrote:
keg411 wrote:Money > Rankings and people tend to like Rutgers on this board.

Also, there is the fact that rankings outside the T30 are, for all practical purposes, virtually meaningless.


That's also mostly true :).

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:32 pm

,
Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 pm

keg411 wrote:Money > Rankings and people tend to like Rutgers on this board.
Seriously, though, your scholarship is nothing to laugh at unless you want to pay $60k to live in Connecticut.

My ONLY concern to you would be: did Rutgers put a grad stipulation on your scholarship? If so, what is it? (Top 1/3, Top 50%, etc.). If you lost you scholarship would you still prefer working in NJ to Conn/NE in which case you'd be paying more for Rutgers 2L/3L years?


Yes, it has a stipulation that I maintain at least a 3.0. However, if I lose my scholarship after 1L, I would still only be paying NJ resident tuition, which is just slightly more than UConn. Rutgers is cheaper as a whole no matter what happens.

Also, I already do live in Connecticut. :)

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby keg411 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
keg411 wrote:Money > Rankings and people tend to like Rutgers on this board.
Seriously, though, your scholarship is nothing to laugh at unless you want to pay $60k to live in Connecticut.

My ONLY concern to you would be: did Rutgers put a grad stipulation on your scholarship? If so, what is it? (Top 1/3, Top 50%, etc.). If you lost you scholarship would you still prefer working in NJ to Conn/NE in which case you'd be paying more for Rutgers 2L/3L years?


Yes, it has a stipulation that I maintain at least a 3.0. However, if I lose my scholarship after 1L, I would still only be paying NJ resident tuition, which is just slightly more than UConn. Rutgers is cheaper as a whole no matter what happens.

Also, I already do live in Connecticut. :)


As long as it's cheaper as a whole for you -- welcome to NJ :).

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Ok thanks guys!

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:16 am

bump, because I changed the original post. Here's the situation:

Ok I have crunched some numbers and realized that I was being too hasty with my first estimates.

In a best-case scenario, the cost to attend Rutgers would be a total of $31,500. (if I can indeed get NJ residency for 1L, and I can maintain my scholarship for all three years.)

In a worst-case scenario, it would cost $67,500 (if I can't get NJ residency for 1L, and if I lose my merit aid after 1L)

UConn would cost $61,300 no matter what.

Again, not interested in BigLaw or NYC. Equally happy in either region. Does this change any of your minds?

chisoxfan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby chisoxfan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Burger in a can wrote:bump, because I changed the original post. Here's the situation:

Ok I have crunched some numbers and realized that I was being too hasty with my first estimates.

In a best-case scenario, the cost to attend Rutgers would be a total of $31,500. (if I can indeed get NJ residency for 1L, and I can maintain my scholarship for all three years.)

In a worst-case scenario, it would cost $67,500 (if I can't get NJ residency for 1L, and if I lose my merit aid after 1L)

UConn would cost $61,300 no matter what.

Again, not interested in BigLaw or NYC. Equally happy in either region. Does this change any of your minds?


I assume these numbers are net of living expenses - would one school have a significantly higher COL?

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:11 pm

chisoxfan wrote:
I assume these numbers are net of living expenses - would one school have a significantly higher COL?


These numbers are just tuition and fees. Rutgers has the higher cost of living.

nycparalegal
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark w/$$$$$ vs. UConn instate

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:18 pm

You really should calculate all of the costs into the equation of yours. It will let you know exactly how much debt you will have. You would be surprise how COL equalizes different scholarships and schools.

Edit: For example, it looks like Rutgers the total budget would be around $50,700 - On Campus
for non-residents and $39,740 - On Campus for residents.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neptunian and 3 guests