UCLA full tuition vs. Duke $25k annual vs. Berkeley sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fortissimo

Re: UCLA full tuition vs. Duke $25k annual vs. Berkeley sticker

Postby fortissimo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Grad09 wrote:I've been living in california for about a year now. I moved from the east coast, where the UCs are unheard of. Here, its a different story.

From what I have heard, the UCs are the best schools in Cali. Hands down. (stanford aside) UCLA is allegedly the hegemon of the south california legal market, while berkeley and stanford triumph in the north.

Wtf? Cal-tech? Harvey Mudd? Claremont McKenna? Do those names mean nothing to you? Californians only respect 2 of the UCs, not all of them.

UCLA full-tuition is TCR. (It pains me to say it since I hate LA.)
Last edited by fortissimo on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:35 pm

fortissimo wrote:
Grad09 wrote:I've been living in california for about a year now. I moved from the east coast, where the UCs are unheard of. Here, its a different story.

From what I have heard, the UCs are the best schools in Cali. Hands down. (stanford aside) UCLA is allegedly the hegemon of the south california legal market, while berkeley and stanford triumph in the north.

Wtf? Cal-tech? Harvey Mudd? Claremont McKenna? Do those names mean nothing to you? Californians only respect 2 of the UCs, not all of them.

A Cal Tech JD would be the ballerist degree for patent law evar!

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:37 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:

lolz The kids who get into Cal-tech are far too smart for law...let's hope Cal-Tech never degrades itself by offering the JD as a degree.

But for reals, Cal-tech is harder to get into than Stanford and a billion times harder to get into than Berkeley. It's the MIT of the West.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:38 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:

MIT? UIUC, and Texas don't seem to have any patent law edge cause their engineering programs are baller.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:42 pm

FWIW I was being sarcastic because the scope of the conversation shifted to non-law schools.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:FWIW I was being sarcastic because the scope of the conversation shifted to non-law schools.

TBF I'm super bored of watching march madness and am arguing for arguing sake.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:FWIW I was being sarcastic because the scope of the conversation shifted to non-law schools.

TBF I'm super bored of watching march madness and am arguing for arguing sake.

On this note, Houston's lookin good so far, although I wish they'd show UCSB because...well...it's UCSB

weee

Postby weee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:26 am

negotiate with cal before you decide anything

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:56 am

SweeneyTodd wrote:
Lermontov wrote:I saw something posted in a thread recently about Berkeley's scholarships.

They have a full, official match program that includes all of the T14 except Northwestern.

Enjoy Berkeley with 25k/year

I read the same thing. It's in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=111317

The post specifically said: Students admitted to Berkeley Law that have also received a scholarship offer from one of the 12 law schools listed below can apply for a Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship.

Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
New York University
Stanford University
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Virginia
Yale University

I don't know the specifics, but according to this you should be able to get at least $25K from Boalt

I guess they really know who their competitors are huh.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:02 am

ravens20 wrote:
SweeneyTodd wrote:
Lermontov wrote:I saw something posted in a thread recently about Berkeley's scholarships.

They have a full, official match program that includes all of the T14 except Northwestern.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=111317

The post specifically said: Students admitted to Berkeley Law that have also received a scholarship offer from one of the 12 law schools listed below can apply for a Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship.

Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
New York University
Stanford University
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Virginia
Yale University

I don't know the specifics, but according to this you should be able to get at least $25K from Boalt

Error or anti-Northwestern trolling?

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:32 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Error or anti-Northwestern trolling?

Berk left NW off their list.

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:46 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
ravens20 wrote:
SweeneyTodd wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=111317

Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
New York University
Stanford University
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Virginia
Yale University

Error or anti-Northwestern trolling?

I heard it's because Northwestern gives away too much money. NU gives out a ton of half-rides, IIRC.

Also, be forewarned that Boalt doesn't automatically match most scholarships. As far as I can tell, the purpose of the program is to give Berkeley a way to prevent only the most desirable candidates from going elsewhere on account of money offers Berkeley would be willing to match. From what I heard from my classmates and from other TLSers last year, most of the people who get scholarships at other T14s will not get a matching offer at Berkeley. But if you get into HYSC and also get an offer at a peer school, you might luck out.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”