Boulder v. SCU v. Howard v. USF v. Loyola LA v. Pepperdine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose in my shoes?

SCU
7%
Howard
23%
USF
37%
Boulder
27%
Pepperdine
7%
Loyola LA
No votes

Total votes: 30

hmdecisionsdecisions

Boulder v. SCU v. Howard v. USF v. Loyola LA v. Pepperdine

Postby hmdecisionsdecisions » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:37 am

I am from Northern California, Bay Area, Love it here, Id love to live in SF honestly.

Settled on the fact that I am not going to get into Hastings which I would attend in a heartbeat,

But I am in at:

Schools in my preferred region

USF - $$ pays about 2/3 tuition and i could probably commute and live rent free
SCU - $$ pays about half tuition, may be too far to commute from bay area home COL is high

Schools outside my preferred region

Howard (Yes I am AA Male) - $$$ pays almost entire tuition, only half to worry about COL, living on East Coast, snow =\ and cross country move.. probably the highest ceiling and lowest floor of the bunch
Boulder - the best T100 school I am into...freezing colorado does not appeal to me...out of state tuition for 1L at least
Loyola LA - no $... ranking and location aren't exactly ideal but still in CA
Pepperdine - No $ same as Loyola but seemingly very expensive...

Pending at USD, and UC Davis.

If I got into Davis I'd be a fool to turn it down, though the prospect of living another 4 years there (yes it's my UG) is not exactly my ideal scenario. However with the current set of schools I am in I find myself in a dilemma.

Boulder is a great school, but I get the feeling its extremely regional? Anyone have any take on this?

Howard is a wildcard, top grades from this school have opportunities that are on par with schools much much higher ranked

Loyola and Pepperdine, not bad schools but how do these schools fare when looking to move back up to northern california?

USF and Santa Clara have ideal location, but they are the lowest ranked schools... In my preferred northern california/Bay Area/SF Region how well does a grade from here compare to a grad from these higher ranked yet out of region schools??

KMaine

Re: Boulder v. SCU v. Howard v. USF v. Loyola LA v. Pepperdine

Postby KMaine » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 am

Are there any GPA requirements with the Howard offer? Do you have any particular goals after you graduate from LS? I am not sure how Howard does in the West, but I know that grads do much better than one would expect due to their ranking. SF is tempting because of the low debt. I went for Howard, but I like the East Coast.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:31 am

if you want to do biglaw, or work in any law firm really, as an AA Male, Howard will open the most doors. Being from D.C., people around here would advise you to go to HU over most law schools in the city except for Georgetown.

BTW when did you hear from Howard? I'm still waiting for their decision... :x

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:39 am

hmdecisionsdecisions wrote:I am from Northern California, Bay Area, Love it here, Id love to live in SF honestly.

Settled on the fact that I am not going to get into Hastings which I would attend in a heartbeat,

But I am in at:

Schools in my preferred region

USF - $$ pays about 2/3 tuition and i could probably commute and live rent free
SCU - $$ pays about half tuition, may be too far to commute from bay area home COL is high

Schools outside my preferred region

Howard (Yes I am AA Male) - $$$ pays almost entire tuition, only half to worry about COL, living on East Coast, snow =\ and cross country move.. probably the highest ceiling and lowest floor of the bunch
Boulder - the best T100 school I am into...freezing colorado does not appeal to me...out of state tuition for 1L at least
Loyola LA - no $... ranking and location aren't exactly ideal but still in CA
Pepperdine - No $ same as Loyola but seemingly very expensive...

Pending at USD, and UC Davis.

If I got into Davis I'd be a fool to turn it down, though the prospect of living another 4 years there (yes it's my UG) is not exactly my ideal scenario. However with the current set of schools I am in I find myself in a dilemma.

Boulder is a great school, but I get the feeling its extremely regional? Anyone have any take on this?

Howard is a wildcard, top grades from this school have opportunities that are on par with schools much much higher ranked

Loyola and Pepperdine, not bad schools but how do these schools fare when looking to move back up to northern california?

USF and Santa Clara have ideal location, but they are the lowest ranked schools... In my preferred northern california/Bay Area/SF Region how well does a grade from here compare to a grad from these higher ranked yet out of region schools??

I would say go to school in the region you would want practice.

While Howard does do well in big law, it doesn't have that many attorneys in CA according to Martindale (which I know is not all exhaustive, but Howard only has like 64 attorneys in that state and that is ridiculous).

Any perceived "boost" you would get from going to Howard you would receive no matter which school you went to (to an extent).

I'm not saying not to go to Howard, I'm simply saying that you would at least be able to interview with NLJ250 firms from either in CA your 1L year (true it depends on grades, but that goes without saying).

So if you choose Howard, go there because you want to go there (or be in DC) and not because of some perceived difference in outcomes (because you are a URM and things work differently - trust me).

hmdecisionsdecisions

Postby hmdecisionsdecisions » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:26 am

Thanks for the replies... I've been in at howard since December 17th... Apps were in by end October Early September

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:55 pm

I would say either Howard, for the good job prospects, or santa clara since it would be the strongest school within the northern ca region out of all the ones on your list. Pepperdine and Loyola grads historically stay in LA and Orange County. I would not go to USF because on the Norcal-law school-food chain it is towards the bottom.

yellowfin

Postby yellowfin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Boulder isn't freezing. There are some cold days, but generally it's doesn't stay too cold for too long. And although there is snow in the winter, it usually doesn't stick around for a long time. Fall stays late, spring comes early. Don't let the weather deter you. And Colorado gets more sunshine than any other state, or at least that's what I've always been told.

Boulder is a great city that is hard to beat (unless you're very conservative and you don't like being surrounded by progressives, which Boulder is full of). I did my undergrad at CU and I'm likely headed back next fall. Might see you there.

As far as the portability of a degree from CU, the consensus on TLS is that CU does really well in Colorado and in the mountain west but not so well everywhere else. I think one reason CU has such a "regional" feel is that the students that go to CU want to practice in Colorado or the mountain west. CU probably doesn't place many graduates outside of Colorado because many graduates want to stay in Colorado or the surrounding region. If you want big law outside of Colorado, CU probably isn't your best choice, but it might not be your worst choice either. And if you don't want big law, then CU's probably as good as anything. And 25k a year after 1L isn't bad either.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”