Help me make my final decision please

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Loyola Chicago (20k/yr)
20%
Miami (23k/yr)
42%
St. Thomas MN (Full Ride)
8%
Pepperdine (15k/yr)
30%

Total votes: 50

eberl032

Help me make my final decision please

Postby eberl032 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Here are my options. I have desires to one day work for a law firm in one of those huge office buildings with my office on the 39th floor (haha).

Iam comfortable with any of these cities. Although I am from MN and ready for a change in weather.

I know this is very much a choice of region, but rather thank asking me which region I prefer, please explain why you would pick a certain region.

Thanks for any help. Im having trouble deciding.

eberl032

Re: Help me make my final decision please

Postby eberl032 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Can anyone comment on the differnce between the cities? What the atmosphere is like?

Anyone else looking at these schools?

romanholiday

Postby romanholiday » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:03 pm

I went to visit Pepperdine a couple of weeks ago and the campus is beautiful. The law building sits on a hill and overlooks the Malibu coastline. The actual law building itself is kinda shabby, but better looking then Davis imo. (although I visited before they finished remodeling).

My friend is a grad student there and she told me her rent is 500 a month (shared bed/bath), but she lives about 15 mins drive away from the school.

Seriously though, you look out the windows and all you can see is ocean. :D

bees

Postby bees » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:13 pm

The ocean and Jesus watching your every move. Run away from Pepperdine.

romanholiday

Postby romanholiday » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:35 am

bees wrote:The ocean and Jesus watching your every move. Run away from Pepperdine.

Yes, I forgot to mention that there's a big ole' cross near the entrance of the school. :mrgreen:

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:19 am

I think it comes down to Miami or Pepperdine. Which coast do you like more? Each school faces plenty of competition in their own state. If I had to choose I would go to Miami. California is fucked as a state right now and I'd rather live in Florida than Cali until Cali is more stable.

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:27 am

I've lived in both Chicago and Miami (in Coral Gables, walking distance from the school). I like Chicago in general, but those winters are hard. Then again, the summers in Miami arent much better. You don't realize how hot, and more importantly humid, it is until you live their full time. Maybe I am biased however because I had to wear a full suit to work everyday.

The other factor is whether you know Spanish. I wont say that you have to know Spanish in Miami, but you are at a disadvantage if you don't know it.

I would suggest visiting before you make a decision. I love Miami but its not for everyone.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:28 am

Are all scholarships contingent on a maintaining a certain GPA? Have you visited any of these schools?

It would probably come down to Pepperdine and Miami for me.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:42 am

Yeah, it's between Miami and Pepperdine. If you think Jesus is your homeboy go to P. Otherwise, hit up Miami and enjoy a little bit of Latin America right here in the USA :)
(OK, so I would choose Miami :P)

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks for all the replies. I have basically limited it to Miami v. Pepperdine as well.

Unfortunately I cant afford a trip to visit.

Pepperdine scholarship requires a top 1/3 of class. Miami's scholarship is 3.2gpa

No I dont speak spanish, but would be willing to learn.

I know biglaw is probably not an option , but which has a better possibility. I think Miami has a leg up on the competition as compared to Pepperdine, but they have a smaller market (i think). Is miami's market very large?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”