UGA vs Alabama

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
J.H.Holliday

UGA vs Alabama

Postby J.H.Holliday » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:40 pm

UGA vs Alabama, which is the better school?

Assuming the first year is full sticker OOS and the remaining 2yrs are at in-state rates, which school would you go with and why

soullesswonder

Re: UGA va Alabama

Postby soullesswonder » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:42 pm

J.H.Holliday wrote:UGA vs Alabama, which is the better school?

Assuming the first year is full sticker OOS and the remaining 2yrs are at in-state rates, which school would you go with and why

Not a lot of daylight between these two, but in a time when networking is even more critical I'd take UGA and the larger number of alums in ATL.

The Zeppelin

Re: UGA vs Alabama

Postby The Zeppelin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:43 pm

UGA because there are some decent places to live in Georgia. Bama... not so much.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Which place would you rather practice? Alabama or Georgia? The answer to this question is probably the answer to which school you should attend.

J.H.Holliday

Postby J.H.Holliday » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:27 pm

I would say I'm open to any city in the south where I have the best chance of having the most job choices. I don't think I'm going to have any certainty about what type of law I'd most like to practice until 2nd or 3rd yr of school. I would prioritize the job over the town, but wouldn't mind living in most of the towns in the south.

Does UGA's proximity to Atlanta (much larger mkt than B'ham) give it a discernible edge over Bama?

Also, does anyone question Alabama's recent ascension in the rankings? If you look at the average rank of both schools over the last 15 years, UGA's is about where it is now. Bama's average rank is much lower. Is average rank (over many years) a relevant measurement? It seems to me that maybe something standing the test of time indicates something more authentic. I'm not sure, I'm just asking.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:31 pm

J.H.Holliday wrote:Does UGA's proximity to Atlanta (much larger mkt than B'ham) give it a discernible edge over Bama?

Yes. I'm surprised Bama didn't give you money, most people who get into both get more $$ from Bama. Either way, both are going to do well in the Southeast, I would just give the nudge to UGA because of proximity to Atlanta, the fact that Georgia is the biggest state in the south (and also has a larger alumni network). Unless you want to work in Alabama, then it's a no-brainer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”